1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X vs Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Briggs, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

I have always reloaded 700X. However, with componet inventories becoming very hit and miss I am trying to develop new recipies. I am thinking of using Promo if 700X is unavailable. If you have used 700X and Promo in the past your experiences would be invaluable. Thank you in advance for your help.

Doug Briggs

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The good news Doug is 700-X is now being produced again and should hit your nearest distributor soon!!

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Promo is a lot cheaper and in my opinion, has less recoil. I switched to Promo about 1 1/2 years ago and have had good luck. Some loads I use are below.

1 oz = 17.0 grains
    1 1/16 oz = 17.5 grains
    1 1/8 oz = 18.7

My two cents.

Matt Krizinski

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doug,

Have used 700X in the past, then switched to Clays until it became hard to get. Was able to get my hands on 32# of promo. Presently using it with STS (or Nitro) hulls, Fiocchi 209 primers, 16.5gr Promo, Claybuster 1100 wads, 1oz #8 magnum shot. Was advised to use Win 209 primers in the winter, but so far I've had no problems with the Fiocchis in NJ winters. The Alliant website has a lot of Promo recipes. Suggest you consult it for the load you intend to use. If you give me your e-mail address, I could give you a link to it.

Chichay

5. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

Thanks for all your help. I have the Alliant website. I was looking for experiences with recoil, dropping consistant wheights when reloading, patterning concerns, componets or hulls NOT to use with Promo, ect.

Any other insights will still be appreciated.

Doug Briggs

6. RobPete

RobPete Member

Doug,

The big thing you have to look out for is inconsistency, in density, between lots. It will get you every time. I recently finished an old container, opened a new one, but forgot to weigh it. Long story short....I have a flat of 1oz handicap loads. Lol.

All that aside, it has all the characteristics of Red Dot.

Rob

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Doug,

I started out reloading 12ga shotshells with two powders. They were Red Dot and and a little later, 700-X. I have both of them here, but usually go for the Promo or Green Dot jugs. Promo and Red Dot can sometimes have trouble with cold weather. I use Winchester Primers without a hitch in cold weather. I also use Federals with no trouble. The Fiocchi 616 primers were a nightmare with many loads when the temps got below 50 degrees. Can't say ALL loads, but the ones I was using all summer long went to the bottom of my list for Winter. I now use Promo for most of the lighter loads, and caps are done with Green Dot. I have one particular 1oz Singles load with Green Dot also. Winchester Primers in most and the others are Federals. These two primers also reduce the "flames" coming out of my gaspipe's ejection port at night. Without them, I'd be missing some eyebrows. :) The Remington and to a lesser extent, the Cheddites will give that "Flame" effect, among others. Other primers that have worked well in cold weather have been the CCI 209M and the Rio G-600. These are HOT primers and should be used with proper data and a lot of caution!

To test some of your loads for cold performance, put a handful (10 or more) in the freezer overnight and then run them over a chronograph while still cold. Compare them to a handful at normal room temp. Try some factory as well and note the differences.

The Girlfriend will NOT shoot shells unless they are her favorite combination of Federal or Rio primer, Promo or Red Dot, and whatever else makes up her magic rounds. (Federal Hulls and Wads + Good Shot AND LOT's of my time) They have been some of the most consistent loads I make and she uses them in the Winter Leagues with great results.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Doug,

I am on my fourth or fifth keg of Promo. I really like the powder! I use it for both 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce loads. The 1 1/8 ounce loads are 1145-1200fps. I have used it in warm weather only. I do not shoot when it is cold. I have found it to be low on recoil and somewhat clean burning. I clean my gun frequently, so cleanliness of powder is not really important to me. As mentioned above, you need to weigh drops when going from keg to keg. It meters good thru my Hornady 366, and have had no problems. I really like the price of it. Most places sell it for $80.00-85.00 a keg. At the Ohio State Shoot this year, you could find it for $75.00 a keg.

Matt Woodson

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

This post comes up a lot. My opinion is if you can find 700X stay with it. Go with something you trust rather than learn to trust something.

With regards to cost, you need about 92% the grains of 700X VS Promo. So you need to calculate in 8% into the cost of promo. Simply multiply your cost of promo by 1.08 and take that number and compare it to 700X to see if you are saving any money. You simply use less powder. The cost difference is so small just stay with what has always worked for you.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've realoded both, and prefer Promo, and just got in two kegs last week.

I also use WST, but Promo is my favorite and I use in in my 1 oz singles loads and 1st shot of doubles in paper Federals.

I have chronographed them to a very light load. Nice stuff.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

drh08

What "Small" cost difference? Even at a ten percent "gift" to 700-X, Promo is STILL about $20 less per jug. Either you are getting a real good deal on 700-X or you're paying way too much for Promo.

12. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Small cost difference if very relative to each person. Truth be told you will save around 10 cents per box of shells using Promo. So if you shoot 200 round you saved 80 cents using promo over 700X. Does that add up, sure it will, every 5000 rounds you will save $20.00 on powder. (assuming a $21.00 difference in costs)

13. Model12Man

Model12Man TS Member

Ive used promo for light 16 yard 1 1/8 ounce loads with great success. I have also reloaded 700x and didnt see or feel much difference. When youre shooting well, the targets break. When youre not, they dont. Kinda hard to blame a low average on the powder youre using.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I would not use Promo if it did not perform.

It does the job and it is less expensive.

I use a lot of Promo as a result.

Don Verna

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I normally use CLAYS or 700X but when I couldn't get those brands I tried a couple of jugs of PROMO. I really don't have a single gripe about the stuff. I have heard there are density variations jug to jug but haven't bought enough to see that yet. Ignition is good and targets break just as if I were using the other brands. I think PROMO is at its best with 1 Oz and light 1 1/8 Oz loads.

Even if you can get CLAYS or 700X you really should give PROMO a try and decide for yourself if you like it. I'm betting you will. The lower cost is also a bonus.

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I have shoot Red dot for the last 35 years and had no problems. Now I shoot red dot and still have no problems. With that said you are probably asking what is this guy talking about. Well from what I have gathered from Alliant the promo of today is the red dot of yesterday. The difference is the red dot of today burns cleaner that is all. Promo is the old red dot but with batch differences for dropping.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

drh08

20 bucks is still 20 bucks. That's almost a bag of shot these days, or a couple of bags of quality wads, or a hazmat fee. If there is little or no difference in performance or safety, It can go toward offsetting other costs. I don't use some "bargain" ammo or primers, and stick with what I know works, and what I have data to support. I don't reload to save money. I reload in order to have shells that fit my needs and perform well in my firearms. If I can keep the costs down also, it's a plus. Like I stated before, I started out with two powders (Red Dot and 700-X) and still use both of them. I also used card and fiber wads in paper hulls. I just use more Promo and Green Dot, since they do the job and the Promo is a better deal for the money. I also drive Chevys and Fords rather than Caddys or Lincolns. They get me from point "A" to point "B" with lower overall costs and costs per mile. Could I drive a Caddy or Lincoln? Sure! BUT, that would cut into my shooting budget and that would be unacceptable.

18. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I started out with 700X. Changed to Promo when I couldn't get 700X and stuck whith it when the 700X went out of sight pricewise. Recheck when you start a different lot number of Promo, as the "density" will change, drop the same weight, just use a different bushing. Use Red Dot recipes or Promo recipes. I use Cheddite primers exclusively now, and they all go bang, and most of the clays break. Still trying to get that ratio to 1:1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x vs red dot in 12 ga 1 oz loads

promo powder vs 700x

promo vs 700x