1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700x V.S. Claydot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nate4364, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate4364

nate4364 Member

Hey All: I'm thinking of switching from 700x to Claydot because I have heard it is good powder and the price is considerably lower than 700x. Anyone have any reasons as to why I should or shouldn't switch? Also, how do they compare in power drop when loading with the same bushing?

Thanks,

Nate

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I just did a quick check on a couple recipes, and I'm pretty sure you'll need to change powder bushings for comparable loads. Don't just fill up the new powder and start reloading. Having said that, I have gone to Clay Dot almost exclusively for my 1 oz loads in 12 gauge, and really like it. Mark

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Clay Dot is a fine powder. It meters well, burns cleanly and is a very consistent performer. I get single digit SDs when I chronograph my Clay Dot loads.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Works great in
    Light. 38 spl and. 45 acp target loads.

Like it for 1oz 12 ga. Also

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've used 700X since the 60's and have had excellent luck with it. However, while it was once the cheapest powder out there ($95 for a 12 lb. keg), it is now one of the more expensive. It hasn't changed any since I started, just the price. It's sorta like it's living off of it's reputation (which is a good one). If economics is your main factor try, some Claydot. Make sure you have a decent set of scales to check your charges. Good luck.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Claydot has worked well for me!

7. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I switched from Red Dot to Clay Dot a few months ago and I love it. Cleaner, cheaper, and works extremely well in my 1 oz. loads. Working on my second keg now and don't expect to change.