1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X powder... Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frye, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

Ok, I can't get Clays which is what I normally shoot. All I could get my hands on this time was 8lbs of 700x. Never loaded it before and I don't know anyone around here that's using it.
    I loaded 250 rounds last night, 18.5 Grains 700x Windjammer, STS hull W209 Primer. Supposed to be 1255 FPS at 19.0 Grains but I couldn't get 19 out of my MEC bushings. 1200FPS was my target velocity so I should be pretty close to that. Is anyone shooting this powder?
    I'm worried this stuff isn't going to go off in the cold temps. We're going to start seeing below zero days here real soon.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The only powder you'll ever need. I have loaded it for 30 years and before that was what my Dad loaded. I have tried every thing that has come out and keep going back to 700-X fo 1 and 1 1/8 oz. Not far from Clays,some say its dirty ,but I clean my guns. Jeff

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

7ooX works fine in cold weather. I shoot 17 grains with 1 1/8 for 16s. Don

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

No problem in cold weather. Shot a ton of it.

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Yeah, I agree, but they quit packing it in 12 lb kegs for some reason.

6. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Most of our guys use it for trap @ 1130 to clays at 1250-1300 in STS or AA hulls. Works fine for everyone.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another long time (1974+) fan of 700X even though I've dabbled here and there with others. I've chronographed loads with different powders and 700X has always been the most consistent in standard deviations (thus similar velocities) of all the powders I've tested; common to have single digit SDs. I'm back with it and load 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads for trap, skeet, sporting, and 5 stand.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been using this powder for over 30 years in my 12GA target loads. I use it with 7/8th oz, 1 oz, and 1 1/8th oz with no problems in cold or warm weather. I do not consider it a dirty powder; however I clean my guns after every shooting session.
    Fred Wiedemann

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been using scince I first started reloading 7 yrs,10,000 shells a year,,I bought a used mec 650 and it came with 1/2 keg of 700X,,,,never looked back,,,,but does anyone have a good recipe for 7/8 oz,,,in win AA hulls with claybuster wads,,,,rio primers

10. PODO

PODO TS Member

Frye:
    Have been loading 700-X for the past 20 yrs - load it for my son and two son-in-laws for our winter lg shoots here in Michigan - never had a prob with it in dif hulls or with dif primers - TOM

11. GRR

GRR TS Member

I started using Hi-Skor in 1964 and switched to Hi-Skor 700X in the late 60's and it still is a great powder. I shoot a lot in super cold weather and it works perfect, -20 to 30 degrees. The only time I had trouble was with Blue Duster wads, didn't seal. Went right back to AA or Downrange wads, no problems. I shoot 16.2 with 1 1/8 oz and shoot it on the 26 yard line.

Actually I didn't start using 700X until the late 70's because I bought a Ton (2000lbs)of Hi-Skor for $1.00 a pound. It came in a 12 pound case of 1/2 lb cans, 24 each. I sold most of it to local clubs and kept 25 cases for myself. Of course this was before the Kennedy gun laws, I hate to guess how much money these gun laws have cost the honest shooter.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

700X has always been a good powder, but in the last year there have been a few changes in the powder that make it even better. I am glad the company recognized its past problems and took steps to correct them.

Pat Ireland

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Shot that stuff since the 60's. Still works fine. Used to shoot winter league at 20 degrees and a stiff wind in your face peppering you with ice pellets and still shot a lot of 40's. If you want to load 19 grains of it in a hull, just be aware that come summer the "Sound-Chronograph Police" will show up and want to know "Just what are you shooting in that thing?". These are the same folks who load with fixed bars throwing only 1 1/16 oz of shot and use a bushing chart because "anything else is too complicated". Not sure if is as clean as Clays, didn't used to be, but it's a damn good powder and amazingly, at one time it was the cheapest too. Good luck.

14. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I load it all the time it works just fine in cold weather I shot this last sunday and the temps were -5 with the wind chill and never had a problem.

15. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I have also used it for over 30 years. Great powder.

Mike

16. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

A good shooter won the Missouri state shoot in a stiff wind in 1953 with 700X and his Mod.12. was still loading it as recently as this summer. He has since moved to an assisted living home and can't load anymore but at 94 years of age, he still would choose 700X!!........merlyn....

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if you go back to CLAYS when the 700X is used up. I go back and forth between the two based on what is available at the best price. The loads you mentioned are at the high end of the pressure range so don't try to push it beyond that. Also the reduced loads, say under 15.5 grains, leave alot of residue in the bbl and seem a little inconsistant. I don't think you will have any trouble using this powder in cold weather, if you do start to see a bunch of residue in the tube swap the WW primers for Fed 209A and adjust the charge as per data reccomendations.

Enjoy

18. Carl7650

Carl7650 TS Member

I'am also a 700x Fan

Havent been loading as long as some on here,,but I did do my homework.
    I was looking for a powder that was versatile and 700x seem to fit what I was looking to do. Now that I have found the loads that work for me,,there is no resson to look any further......Carl Hagen

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat, what changes are you referring to? I have used a lot of 700x in the past but went to Red Dot because I think it smokes less. I won't load the gun until I can see through the barrel. Got tired of waiting or blowing the smoke out.

20. Frye

Frye TS Member

Thank you everyone! I feel better about my purchase of the 700X. I know my load is a little hot but I like my shells to be shooting around 1200FPS Range. These are for shooting handicap.
    I'll load up another 250 or so and go shooting to see what I have!

Frye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hi skor 700x reloading data

how 700x powder got its name