1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X & MEC Bushing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

Havent used MEC bushings on any of my reloaders for years. Just bought the new MEC 9000E electrick reloader and decided to use their charge bar instead of the Universal Bar I normally use. To load 17.5 grains of 700X
    the MEC Bushing chart shows to use #29. Didnt even come close. #30 & #31 didnt do it as well. #32 hit the 17.5 right on the head. My scale was zero'd. My question is: Is this large variation normal? Thanks. Bob

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Bushing numbers are just that, numbers! Use a scale and be the better for it.

I've quit looking at the chart for weights.

Good luck

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The IMR mec chart shows a #30 at 17.6 grs of 700X, Bushings are always starting points , use a scale. Jeff

4. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

The Mec bushing charts seem to be based on the single stage machines. Everytime I used the same bushing number in my progressive machines light throws were the result.Probably because of less vibration in progressives. But a good scale and have faith in the scale. Les.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

At least this guy has the scale and knows that an issue exists! I have seen guys load for years with nothing but a bushing chart and faith. They are always amazed when you tell them that approach can be problematic. Jeff

6. geeber

geeber Member

I was loading 19.0 gr of 700X with a #32 bushing. When I bought a new 8 pound jug I checked the weight and had to drop down to #30 to get 19.0 gr. Always check with your scale. The charts are worthless.

Gary B.

7. In plain view

In plain view Member

Thanks for the replies. I can't imagine anyone using a reloader without a scale but I guess it does happen. My normal pattern is to check about 6 to 8 powder drops before I begin reloading. Periodic check after that. Bob

8. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

My meg bushing are always off per the bushing chart when I weight my drops. Most of the time I up size 2 bushing sizes to get the correct weight .

9. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

My #29 drops 17.3 and the #30 18. I think there is a slight variation in every batch of powder?
    As stated spot checking with a scale is your best bet.

10. In plain view

In plain view Member

doggai: Yes. I check it regularly. Bob

11. billn

billn Member

I talked to MEC yesterday to find out what size bushing I needed for a certain load.

The person said that they use a single stage loader to measure their bushings with. The single stage throws a more constant drop and progressive loader usually throws maybe a grain less than the single stage. Its because the powder is above the bar all the time when dropping the powder and is not a constant moving bar like the progressive bar. Both bars have to be moved to discharged the powder and shot?

12. flasch192

flasch192 Member

my 29 bushing throws 16.5 too 17g

13. gordy h

gordy h Member

I find 700x changes from lot to lot, I have to change bushings often when buying a new keg of 700x I have 3 #29 bushings none are the same. Butch H

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ive had 3 different 4 lbs cans and have used 3 different bushings to get 16.5 grains of 700x. Today I changed cans and went from the 29 bushing to the 30 bushing.

15. tnjet

tnjet TS Member

My 30 drops right at 17.5.......

16. In plain view

In plain view Member

I still use a Universal Charge Bar on my 9000G and to be truthful I think I'm going to s...can the c/bar w/bushings on my new 9000E and get another Universal for it. You might wonder why I'm keeping the 9000G? Until I get used to the 9000E (electric) and the two button push system to get it moving I had better just sit on the 9000G. On the 9000E had to call MEC yesterday to find out why I'm blowing the 1 amp fuse so often. Went though 7 fuses on saturday but evidently the fuse blows every time there is a mishap on the downward stroke such as a wad getting caught on the edge of a shell. The MEC Rep stated it is to protect the electric motor. Makes sence to me. Radio Shack here in So. California had the exact fuses as required by MEC. Bob in Los Angeles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700x bushing for hornady loader
700x powder on mec reloader
700x reloading data mec bushing

mec bushings for 700x powder

mec powder bushing 29
mec powder bushing chart for 700 x

mec reloaders bushing chart

powder bushing chart for 700x