1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700x light loads having troubles getting them slow

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Im loading 1 0z 700x using 14.4 grains. Suppose to be shooting 1140 ish. Anyway took out the chrony yesterday and test a factory 1290 load (to see if was close to chrony) Then tested a 16.3 grain load then a 14.4. Each one was fired 4 times and this was results. What puzzles me is there is only a 20 fps difference in almost a full grain of powder less??????? same wads same huls compared and for a twist threw in some AA hulls and was same FPS even though book shows different. Discussion on this? Anybody else having trouble getting 700x to slow down?

Results:

Remington new factory load rated 1290 1 oz shot

Remington Nitro golds DR wads 1 0z shot 16.3 grains

Remington Nitro golds DR wads 1 0z 15.4

Winchest AA same load as above #'s were virtualy identical.

**note, we realize from reading this forum these #'s may be aprox. 20 FPS faster than reality. BUT just giving you all actual #'s before adjustment.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Your results look "real" (that is, not errors) to me, himark. The difference in speed between two loads less than a grain apart doesn't look particularly odd to me either. Usually it's more, but if that's what it was, that's what it was.

I haven't tested 700-X reloads in a long time, but as I recall, they were much faster than the guy who gave them to me expected.

Neil

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't recall having much trouble with the lighter loads of 700-X. I would suggest using an open choke when using optical screens and making sure the shells are not hot from being inside a car or in direct sunlight. It's not all that unusual to see less velocity change than you would expect in some loads. If the change occurs in the right direction, then it may very well be valid. I would verify the results by repeating the tests on a different day and being sure to use the diffusers and making things as consistent as you can. Your results look fairly consistent from shot to shot, so I'd be inclined to believe them. As a side benefit, you now can use .9 grains less powder and get almost the same velocity. With the price of powder, especially IMR, that might be a good thing. :)

5. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

himark - a question.........

In the body of your posting you refer to loads of 16.3gr and 14.4gr.

Your chrony results show 16.3gr and 15.4gr.

Which is it?

Milt

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Its a typo. It is 15.4 grains.

Another variable that didnt occur to me was the weight of the shot. I have brought in all shells today at work and am going to weigh the shot in each including the factory loads. I cant imagine it being any different but I guess if it were it would make a substancial velocity variable.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think your Chrno may be a tad off.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have gone to a 15gr 700X load for 1oz of shot and it is suppose to be 1100 fps ? All in Remington hulls . I am very happy with this load but never chronographed them . I use a 366 with a 408 bushing and the 15gr`s don`t vary from shell to shell . I was thinking of going lower ???

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

ljutic111

I too am using the 408 bushing and am going to order the next two lower. That bushing in my PW was consistantly dropping a 15.4. The books say we can go all the way down to a 14.5 but if my test holds correct we should be able to do that and only loose a minor amount of speed.

As for the Chrony being off i do not believe so since we tested the factory loads as well. I too believe the results to be accurate speeds with the adjustment.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Are you using a 408 366 bushing or a PW bushing ?? May be a difference in the 2 ? Out of 2 different 8lb containers it hasn`t varied at all this year with baffles in the tube .

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Using the Hornady bushing.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm pretty much with Neil's remarks. I've dabbled with 700X for years including with an Oehler chrono. Remember that the longer the barrel will increase readings, the tighter the choke will increase readings, Oehler suggests there is a 3 to 5% skew upwards with shotshells over a homeowner chrono, and if you factor in some of these items your readings could well be what the chrono said and that reading MAY need to be reduced around 3%. I eventually came to test speed by testing factory loads I want to match and brewing formulas that DID match the readings rather than worry about what the claimed speed or relying on the chrono as a true speed......Bob Dodd

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

going to target a 14.5 load and will do some more testing. I originally did these for my 12 year old son but truth is........I kinda like these light soft shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.