1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X Handicap load favorite?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vegas blaster, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Anyone using 700X for a handicap load favorite for 27 yds?

Using Remington STS or new [HS] AA hull, Fiochi 616 primers, and Fig8 wads.

How many grains 700X for a 1250fps with 1 1/8 shot?

thanx, Jeff K.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Hot stuff for handicap, I tried it and didn't like the recoil, guess I'm a sissy. I prefer Green Dot or something else slower burning with less recoil.

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

A bit too fast for my liking, kicks a bit. If the prices were a bit better, I'd prefer PB or 7625 for hdcp. As is, I use Green Dot.

Big Jack

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The old loading manuals used to actually list 19.1 grains, but usually once you got above 18.5 some old fixed-bar MEC person would start asking you about why your load sounded like "a stick of dynamite" or "a rifle". I finally gave up and went to Green Dot. The velocity was definitely there with the 700X, but the snappy recoil and kibitzing got old after a while. I use 700X for singles and both shots of doubles though. From the '60's to around 1995, 700X was all I used, 'course I was an "old fixed bar MEC person" back then. Good luck.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Check the Hodgdon website for the particular components you plan to use and ascertain that they are compatible with published (and tested) data.

Over the past few years I have purchased and used new Estates, Top Guns, Gold Medals and Walmart Multi-Purpose shells which I have reloaded with great results.

My recipes:

1 oz. - 17 grs. of 700X, 12S0 (or clone) wad, Federal 209A primer. Published speed: 1200 fps

1-1/8 oz. - 20 grs. of 700X, 12S3 (or clone) wad, Federal 209A primer. Published speed: 1250 fps

It's my opinion that my handicap reloads have less felt recoil than the major brands. Felt recoil is a very subjective thing and will depend on quality and type of shotgun you use plus your own tolerance.

Curt

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

700 X is IMO too fast burning a powder for 1250 FPS 1 1/8 oz loads.
    Heavy loads of 700 X in tapered cases are not my ideal loads.

I used to use a lot of 700X but it got loud above 18.5 grains in a Federal paper. For higher velocities and heaver charge weights, I used to use PB in a Federal Gold Medal plastic hull. These were great hulls.

The Federal paper hull, except for the 1st reload, IMO is subject to burn through or blow out where the brass meets the paper. Heavier loads IMO cause this to happen sooner.

I originally used 700 X because 18.5 grains of it in a Federal Paper hull, F209A primer, 12C1 wad and 1 1/8 of Lawrence 7 1/2's made a great load and crimped just perfect. But then 700 X got to be hard to find and the cost of new papers went too high.

About 5 years ago, when the availability of 700 X and PB became spotty, I switched to then new Alliant E 3 for 1 oz loads and the old standard Alliant Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz loads. I was already using Alliant Herco for 1 1/4 oz loads.

Alliant powders have always been easy to find and reasonably priced. E3 costs a little more but it is ultra clean and I like this for my 1100/11-87. E3 also performs well when it gets cold.

I suggest that you give Green Dot a try for 1 1/8 oz trap loads. I bet that you will really like it.

Another consideration for a 27 yard handicap powder is Alliant Unique. Unique is a little slower than Green Dot but it comes into its own with high performance 1 1/8 oz loads. Unique is the favorite of many a games shooter for the 1st shot or call bird back to 35 yards.

Whatever you choose, get data from a reliable source and weigh your charges.

Ed Ward

7. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

thanx for all the input guys. shoot real good often. Jeff K.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Forget 700-X for a 1250 fps load in a tapered hull, especially without data for the Fiocchi 616 primer. The pressures are just too high for my liking. If you want 1250 fps, look for a slower powder like Unique or Universal Clays. You'd have lower pressures, which would give you a little more headroom for normal variables that could increase pressures substantially. Curt is on the right track using a straight tube hull for higher velocities with powders like 700-X. Why wouldn't a 1200 fps load do? The extra 50 fps really doesn't always get you that much gain or advantage downrange.

9. primer

primer TS Member

17.5 or 18 gr of 700X My wife shoots this and loves it.

10. brownk80

brownk80 Member

18.0 grs. of 700X, Rem or AA hull, 1oz. 8's, Windjammer Wad. Does about 1250 and hits targets hard with very light recoil.

11. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

17Gr 700X, 1 1/8oz #7.5, windjammer wad, winchester primer, AA hull. This shell will smoke targets from the 16 all the way to the 27. good luck. BYG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
700x for handicap

700x handicap load

best handicap load with 700x powder
load 700x for 1250fps