1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X for 20 gauge reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3dram8, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I had a guy at our club ask me if I knew where he could find some data to load 20 gauge shells with 700X since he couldn't seem to find data anywhere. I told him that 700X was WAY too fast burning for 20 gauge, and that pressures would be dangerously high. He said that he just bought a whole keg for loading his 12 gauge and wanted to use it for 20 gauge as well and was not about to spend another $100+ for special powder just for his 20 gauge. What do you say to a guy after that? I'm going to be nervous shooting with him from now on. ....Rick

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Darwinism at its finest.

Just don't be around the guy when he shoots, especially when he has got the 20 ga out. Pass the word to the other shooters so they don't get hurt either.

ss

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I see several loadings with 700X in 20 gauge, Federal plastic target hulls but not in the Rem. and Winch. hulls. Perhaps you can convince this fellow to use the Federal hulls??....Bob Dodd

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Bob, great minds must think alike, LOL! I just got off the Hodgdon website and was looking at those same loads that you are talking about. Even though they are listing the Federal hull, did you notice that all the loads are MAX pressure of almost 12,000? I'd STILL be nervous loading those unless I knew I was getting EXACT PERFECT powder drops. I really doubt that this guy is even using a scale. You wouldn't believe how many guys I run into that merely look at a bushing chart to select a bushing that "comes close" to what they want, and just start assembling shells without even bothering to see what they are metering on a good scale. ....Rick

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

700X works OK.. with 11/16oz of shot in 20 gauge.. and a few 3/4oz loads.. The 7/8oz are just to high of PSI for me to consider.. I think he'd fare far better off with Uniques.. Been my powder for 20 gauge the last 40 years..

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back when I loaded 20s for our son, I used 800X in Remington and Winchester hulls with good results.

Ed

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've found over the years 800X.. while an excellent burning rate for 20 gauge.. did not meter well in my 366 which I use to load on.. I often got more than 1/2 grain variation..which in 20 gauge is to much for me.. Before I'd go there.. I'd look at Longshot.. which is in a similar SLOW range.. and would drop no more than 2/10's of a grain off..

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

The issue with this guy is that he (I think) is assuming that powder is powder. I suggested that he try Alliant 20/28 (my favorite for the 20 gauge), but since he has this big keg of $100+ 700X powder he wants to just use it up for ALL his shotshell reloading without going out and spending another $100+ on different powder.

When I shot NSSA in the 70's and 80's before converting to ATA about 1985, I also used Unique for 20 gauge. Recently I started shooting 20 gauge again for fun at skeet and sporting and I tried International Clays, PB, WSF, and when I got to 20/28, I stopped right there since I was so happy with the results. ....Rick

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rick, Yes, I noticed the max pressures too. And, I agree and DO know there are way too many folks that forget scales or careful thinking. I know several folks that seem as anal as anyone about their loads and safety only to find they're loading without a scale; just relying on charts or what they consider common sense. They're always the ones that they are loading exactly xxx grains of powder and have for years. They finally admit they know that because that's what the MEC bushing chart says. Do, breakemall.....Bob Dodd

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Maybe your friends solution is not to buy another "big keg or anything", but to find another shooter close by that might have some unique or blue dot to trade for some of his 700X.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While many of us have pages of data for 700X in 20 gauge.. We all know the Dupont quit suggesting it for use in 20 gauge a long time ago... Must be a reason... That's good enough for me..

12. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Ask him how much he is willing to spend on a replacement shotgun. Might be more than $100...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga reloading data
20 ga reloading data 700x
20 gauge reloading data
20 gauge reloading data 700x
700x powder reloading data
700x reloading data

700x reloading data shotgun

700x shotgun powder reloading data