1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700-X vs Green Dot - Perceived recoil opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hello Shooters,

I am interested in hearing opinions on perceived recoil of reloads using 700-X vs Green Dot.

If you have shot a lot of both powders in a few different guns, I am especially interested in what you have to say.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rob

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

rsikole

Are you on a fishing expedition? This sort of recoil of slower vs faster powder thing has been hashed out before. You will likely get many opinions and no real conclusions.

My experience is such that using both powders for a good number of years, there is no real difference in recoil, perceived or otherwise, provided the velocity is the same. Theoretically, a slight difference in charge weight would have a VERY small impact on recoil, but not so much at shotgun velocities and certainly NOT enough for me to tell any difference.

Let the games begin! First one to draw blood is disqualified!

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

There will be a lot of responses here that will say you can't tell the difference between powders. Just flipping back and forth between different kinds of loads on a shell by shell basis, I think they are right. But if you shoot a box or two of one load, and we're assuming the payload and velocity are similar, so as to get a kind of "muscle memory" of what that load feels like, and then shoot a box or two of the alternate, then yes, you can tell a difference in many cases. My vote would be that ballistically 700X and Green Dot may be too similar to make the distinction. If the loads are more polar, like 700X and 7625, then definitely. It will not be nearly as obvious as the difference between a 1.125 oz and 1.0 oz load, though.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You might try flipping a coin into the air. It will be about as effective!!! Or you can say Green Dot is made by a American company and 700X is not made by a American company. Now pick. Break-em all. Jeff

5. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

First of all, i must add that i'm a devote shooter of 700x, i currently (as always) load 18.1 grains 700x, 1 and 1/8 oz behind a claybuster (figure 8) wad and a rio primer, although i understand the primer is sub standard i really enjoy this load and have broke a few handicap straights with it aswell, i also load 700X in a 7/8 (24 gram) load that shoots sporting clays and skeet well. For me its a very economical powder (local Prices etc etc.) but it allows me to accomplish with one powder a great 1 and 1/8 oz, 1 oz and 7/8 oz load. i can shoot all my games with one powder that burns relativly clean provides perferred payloads and also allows flexibility. With that being said, i have shot a couple of pounds of green dot. i like it, i can't lie. lol, i've shot it in an automatic and a break open gun. the recoil is close to 700x, but i'm left handed and when i shoot an automatic i notice more "blowback". in a break open gun its irrelviant. Green Dot (atleast in my honest opinion) has a little less recoil but is irrelovent in my opinion as i'm more open to being able to load what i want easily... I will be trying a New green Dot load in a differenet hull soon.

TB .... The Boy

6. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear FSIKOLE,
    Have shot 700X since they discontinued WW 452 AA (in the previous century). Using 1 oz. and 1 1/8 loads using OEM REM TGT12 and FIG 8's. I use a Carey comb set-up and love the recoil reduction in my TM1 Special. Recently tried Green Dot in my HDCP loads..20.5 grains(formerly 17.6 grains of 700X). The difference is noticeable. I feel a gentle push compared to a sharp rap. Will continue to use Green Dot....bought a total of 20 lbs!(At Marengo only $86.00/ 8 lbs) 700X is getting pricey also....$100/8 lbs.
    ..............Respectfully submitted....Jet Boat Bill...ATA Life Member with 50K+ HDCP targets...LOVE MY ALLIANT GREEN DOT!!

7. rsikole

rsikole Member

Thanks for the feedback!

I understand there will be lots of opinions here, and that is what I asked for.

I have never shot green dot, so I think I'll give it try and see for myself.

I am tr;ying to do a variety of things to reduce recoil while shooting the same shot charge at the same velocity, and I have never heard anything bad about shooting green dot.

Thanks again!

Rob

8. lance howard

lance howard Member

Well, I might as well throw my opinions into this. I agree with BL350. I have used 700x since the late 70,s. Many, many kegs. Great powder and economical when using 17.1 grains and either 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads. But, I tried green dot about two years ago. I also use 20.5 grains in Estate and Gold Medal cases for 1-1/8 handicap loads. Real nice load. Sof enough that I noticied the difference right away. I shoot a TM1S for handicap and old MX8 for the rest. If you shoot a lot the 700x is cheaper due to the charge weight difference in the reloads but I think green dot is a better powder for than 700x in heavy loads. Just my opinion. Lance Howard

9. kd185

kd185 Member

according to the link i posted green dot and 700X have almost matching burn rates so i doubt there is any noticeable recoil differences

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There is absolutely NO difference in perceived recoil between these two powders. The gurus, mathmeticians and physics major here and abroad have proven this. Now with that said, I've never met a 700X load I enjoyed and never found a Green Dot one I disliked.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Everything being the same. If one loads a 1250 fps shell, one with GD and one with 700X, you will feel a difference. Try it, and find out for yourself.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto with the first sentence from the master of pheasants. But I'd declare the opposite feeling with his second sentence since I'm more likely to enjoy the economy of using 700X over GD.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 oz 700x or green dot
700x powder opinion

700x vs green dot

700x vs red dot
green dot opinions
green dot powder vs 700x for shot shell powders
green dot powder vs 700x powder

green dot vs 700x