1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700 X data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ksshooter, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksshooter

ksshooter TS Member

Has anyone cronographed 700 X loads lately? I have loaded paper feds with 209 fed primer, 12s3 wad, and 18.2 gr 700 x. Cronographed velocity was 1255 fps. This is supposed to be a 2 3/4 shell. Through the same cronograph at the same time with the same gun, a 3 dram paper fed shows 1242 fps average.
    With AA hulls, win wad and win 209, 16.7 gr 700X is 1235 fps. This also supposed to be 2 3/4 load. New AAs show 1160 fps ave through the same cronogrqph and barrel.
    I have taken powder from three separate kegs, all different lots, with the same results.

Is all 700 x data wrong? Maybe a question for Neil.

charley

2. DHN-MN

DHN-MN TS Member

I load 15.5 gr. of 700x in STS and Gun Club hulls using 209A Fed. primer and 1 1/8 shot. The load works well to the 23-24 yardline. Low recoil but the shot seems to get to the target quickly. I have not cronographed these loads.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Your homeowner chrono reads the first pellet(s) to cross the screens, not the central bulk of the ejecta so you will automatically read high. Which choke you are using will skew the reading further, tighter chokes read high, no choke is best, generally. The length of barrel can skew readings with the longer barrel tending to increase readings over short. Oehler recommends reducing readings by 3 to 5% with their homeowner chronos. I used to automatically drop some 35 fps in my use of the Oehler chrono but later decided to ignore the reading value and simply compare factory load readings against my reloads that were intended to match those loads.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

PS: I found 700X to produce the most consistent loadings across the chrono with single digit standard deviations more often than not.....BD

4. ksshooter

ksshooter TS Member

BDodd

If I use factory loads to set a standard through the home crono, and match that velocity with the reloads, will these be in the ball park?

charley

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If it works in the factory load, Charley, it certainly will work in yours, eh? I came to think of the chrono as a tool, an aid to my loading methods. It's just not the perfect tool it is for rifle and pistol ammo. Now the factory has the far more expensive chronograph with test barrels and perfect temperatures and all and we'll never be able to match that with a home chrono designed for centerfire cartridges.....Bob Dodd

6. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I use 700X with AA hull 209 primer, winchester wads 14.5 grams it works good on 16 yd. and 27 yds.more than enought power.Don't know the speed, but it works well and I have been loading the same load for about 20 years.I always load 8 shot for everything year round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.