1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700 Muzzleloader Reviews

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I am thinking about getting into muzzleloading as rifle is not allowed in my current county of residence and I'll be in school and working which will leave me very little time to travel to use my rifles. My local gunshop has a Remington 700 ML in .50 caliber for a good price so I have been trying to find more information on them. I would like the input of some experienced muzzleloaders as well as people that have just gotten into it like me. Also just throw in your favorite muzzleloader while your at it.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Remington 700 ML good muzzleloader if kept clean. You should have storekeeper disassemble bolt assembly. Check for clean.
    Remington designed a 209 Nipple that was of poor quality.
    Combination of Rem. 209 Nipple & Triple 7 pellets was not a good recipe.
    I shoot an old favourite MK 85 Knight Rifle. 50 cal.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. tj303

tj303 Member

I have killed several deer with the Remington muzzle loader. Worked just fine. Now using the Savage smokeless muzzle loader. TJ http://www.sav10ml.com/

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I did a lot of research before buying an inline 50-cal four years ago and bought a T/C Omega stainless fluted with a laminated thumbhole stock. If you Google "inline muzzleloaders" or something like that, you'll find several comparisons and forums on the guns. I'm a huge Remington fan but their smokepole isn't highly-regarded. My son wanted some cartridge flexibility, so he bought a stainless T/C Encore, which can use any number of smokeless barrels as well as a 50-cal.

The Savage inline rifle gets high marks on most of those forums, too.

My Omega puts three Hornady SST/ML 250-grain bullets over three pellets of Triple-7 sparked by a Federal 209A into 1.372" at 100 yards at 2,130fps. The same bullet over three pellets of Pyrodex goes into 2.405" at 2,190fps and a T/C Shockwave bullet over the Triple-7 load shoots into 2.722" at 2,132fps.

Either his Encore is slightly more accurate or he's a better shooter than me (gotta be the gun!). It puts the Hornady SST/ML bullet over Triple-7 load into 1.218". We both have Leupold UltimateSlam 3-9x40mm scopes on our rifles. The 50, 100 and 150-yard markers on the reticle are very close to exact on our guns; I've never checked the 200 and 250-yard markers.

Aside from being accurate, the Hornady bullet's sabot has a "tail" on it that can be inserted into the hole on the center of blackpowder substitute (Pyrodex, Triple-7, etc.) pellets. That "tail" holds three pellets or can be shortened to hold two and makes carrying and loading an extra load easier.

Finally, when shopping for a rifle, beware that some silver-colored guns might not be stainless steel but instead be carbon steel with a coating applied - T/C calls theirs "Weathershield." It does protect the exterior of the rifle but the bore is still bare carbon steel and can corrode faster than a stainless barrel.

Ed

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed,

I must second your suggestion on muzzleloaders. I too have an Omega that shoots about the same as yours using a few less grains of Triple 7. I have yet to find a muzzleloader that shoots better.

Also sound advise on fully inspecting any used muzzleloader. If there are signs of corrosion/pitting, just walk away. The gun hasn't been cared for properly.

ss

6. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I have a model 700 ML and would not buy another one,last year I went to shoot a deer with it....pulled the trigger and nothing the firing pin did not drop. Did a little checking in on the problem and found out I was not the only one who had this problem. There is a pastic weathershield at the end of the bolt and I guess the firing pin doesn't always slide through it so well. I was told if you take the weathersheild off you won't have a problem. I would stick with a more current gun,but nothing wrong with the knight MK-85 though.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have one in stainless with the 209 conversion-

No problems-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I think it is hard to get good result on muzzle loaders they are not easy to use and to many people buy them to deer hunt one week end so they don't know how to clean and care for them. I would never buy a inline because I want the feel of the old times I shoot flintlocks they are more dependable than the cap and inline if you know what you are doing. I have never had a miss fire hunting with a good flintlock caplock not the same. There is a lot to consider in what you want to do with the gun. Good luck in your purchase. Tom

9. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have a 50cal stainless 700ML with a 209 conversion. Its a tack driver at 100yds with 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets and a Hornady 240gr sabot. I would guess I've taken close to 20 deer with mine. Never failed me in any type of weather. I'm sure there are better muzzleloaders out there, but I have been very pleased with mine.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

MAKE SURE THE BOLT ASSY' IS NOT CORRODED!!!

This is a less than stellar design. Even the stainless guns do not have a stainless striker spring. I would advise the purchase of a bolt dis assembly tool.

Once having performed warranty service and repair for Remington, I would advise you to keep looking.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a savage smokeless.. havent cleand it in 30-35 shots.. still shoots 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards..

12. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

T/C "Workhorse" Kit Comes With Everything to Get Started And Is A "Shooter" .50 cal. Easy To clean & Maintain. JM 2 cents!!!! Joe W.

13. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I second the omega Z5 , great accurate piece.

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a stainless .50 caliber Electra by CVA with the Bergara (?) barrel. Never fired it since I got it for Christmas and they were not legal in Virginia. Supposed to be very accurate but I have no idea. It came with a Nikon scope in the same camo pattern with a BDC reticle.

15. John55

John55 Active Member

I've owned several T/C models, Encore PH, Omega and a traditional Hawken and they are solid but after trying the Savage with smokeless powder I want nothing else. No comparison in ease of cleaning, accuracy or velocities.

16. B.C.

B.C. Member

The 700 209 primer kit makes it easier to load & shoot.
    How ever I would buy the cover for the scope so it does
    not get powder burnt. The 209 conversion kit is avalible
    from a Canadian company. I like the feel of a bolt action
    rifle that's why I went with the 700 Rem. Hope this helps.
    B.C.

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I had a 700ML, fought it for years, hang fires, poor groups, etc. I now have a T/C Encore shoots much better. For the ultimate buy a Badbull.

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I own and shoot more than a few inlines so here's my tip: Buy a break or tip action and stay away from the bolt actions. Really, in a cold field, having to get your fingers into the action or worse, having to use a capping tool is a PITA. A simple break action (tip action) is easy to prime and easy to clean. You want a break action gun, 209 priming system and a stock that fits. 50 cal is a good bet and you want a gun that handles charges of 100-120 grains without trouble. Other than that, go for price. I would not hesitate to buy a used gun, even if it were fugly on the outside just so long as it was in good working order. You'll want a good scope. Don't go cheap on the optics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.