1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

-70 Air Temperature

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

Sometimes in Alaska it makes you wonder WHY?? Last night in Tok Alaska it got down to -70 and todays high was -40. BRRRRR!

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Last night it got down to about 68 or 69, the high today was about 80. I lived to long down here to ever think about living up there. My blood is way to thin now. I would love to to do some fishing and hunting up there some day. It would have to be in the summer thou. Break-em all. Jeff

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Yes it's cold up here from Nov-March but the fringe benefits of fresh air,fresh seafood and the space to do what you want more than makes up for it. I just finished eating deep fried halibut with a king crab salad. Jeff come on up this summer you will love it. It's not that cold where I live. Hell today it got up to +10. LOL

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Coldest I ever was in was -64 deg at McMurdo in Antarctica. Needless to say I didn't go out for very long.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I hear Gore was flying in for a speech. Is that true?

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

MIA, last night I mixed up a pancake batter and instead of milk I used beer. My son really doesn't like fish but beer battered salmon and halibut really caught his attention. The salad was just a green salad with boiled eggs and King Crab pieces added and thousand island dressing. Yummy!

I live near Cook Inlet and once the water starts to freeze then it's doesn't seem to affect the temperature much. Once this place gets cold it stays cold until we get a storm out of the south pacific that brings warm air up with it. Usually it snows like hell when that happens after a cold snap. It's starting to warm up today it's only -16 this morning. January is the coldest month and it gradually thaws out by the middle of April.

My house in Kasilof is heated with fuel oil and the last fillup was $3.30/gallon. In the winter it takes about 250 gallons a month or $825/month then add on $200/electricity bill. But summer May-Sept we turn off the heat and don't need air conditioning.

7. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I posted on another thread that tomorrow is the start of the Iron Dog Snowmobile race the covers 1960+ miles in 6 days, from Big Lake near Wasilla, north to Nome and back to Fairbanks. It is hard to imagine going that fast in very sub zero weather over a period of a week. You can go to Tesoro Iron Dog to find out more about this race.

Clyde

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

The most miles I have managed to put on a snowmachine when I was younger was about 150 miles in a day and I was exhausted. I can't imagine doing that for 5-6 days. One of my buddies Scott Davis has won that race more than anyone else. He is truly amazing on a machine.

Jim

9. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

otnot

Man that food sounded GOOD.
    Describing that food to the rest of us down here is cruel punishment.
    You should be banned for beaing so mean.

Stay warm.

10. Pull & Mark

otnot, that's a 80 degree rise in temp in less than a day. That's still to cold for me. Don't know if I can get up there this summer, but will let you know if and when I can. What's the coldest you guys go out and shoot this time of year. I have seen a few threads on here where shooters were shooting in some very cold conditions. Just don't remmember what the coldest one I have seen was. Don't forget to Break-em all. The next time out. Jeff

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well I have not shot for two weeks because it has not gotten above zero. Today it clouded up and it's +15 so I hope I get one day to practice before heading south to Tucson next Saturday. July is perfect up here. Usually it's in 70's to low 80's on clear days and the hight 60's on cloudy days. The coldest I have ever shot it was -20 and it seemed to take forever to shoot a round of practice.

12. Pull & Mark

otnot, That seems mighty cold to be shooten in for me. But If I was in the same situation, I'm sure I would have to go out and brave the weather same as the rest of you northerns. You can only sit so long without pulling a trigger I guess. Do you have any indoor pistol ranges that might be a tad warmer to get smell of burnt gun powder from time to time. That might help out from time to time. All Good. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.