1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

70/30?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynasty, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynasty

dynasty TS Member

I have been shooting 70/30 for about 6 months now, and for the past couple weeks I don't know why, but, my scores have been going down some. I believe that I'm shooting over the birds, so I switched my gun down to a 60/40. Went and shot today and the lowest I shot was a 23. Just wondering what everyone thought I should do, learn to shoot 70/30 or just stick with 60/40? Some of the more experienced shooters at the range have talked with me and told me that they think I should stick with the 70/30 because I shoot fast. I don't know what what to do. Just looking for alittle advise.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shoot whatever breaks the more birds. What makes you think it was 70/30 and is now 60/40?

Neil

3. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Shoot and adjust till you start smoking them and then leave it alone. Who cares what the number is unless it is 100 straight? Nubs Wagner.

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Neil's right. Everyone is a little different. Even top shooters vary greatly in what pattern they shoot. Shoot with the pattern ratio that works best for you. You may very well change as your skill changes and or the speed with which you get on the bird. But don't get carried away changing things all the time either. Many say you need as many as 5000 targets before you settle into a gun set up. Personally, I think 1000 or less, but the point is be aware of that concern.

Neil's other point is that folks are often guessing about where their gun shoots.

You could probably do a search and find where Neil has discussed patterning your gun on a patterning board.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

dynasty- I strongly suspect the change you have seen has nothing to do with your pattern distribution. I would concentrate on two basic fundamentals of shooting trap. One, Mount your gun with some cheek pressure and keep this pressure on your cheek until after you have shot. You must move your upper body as a single unit to accomplish this.

Secondly- When you mount your gun, look down the barrel through the front sight an focus near the front edge of the trap house. See the target leave the house, go after the target aggressively and let your gun shoot. Do not aim your gun.

Work on these two things until you are consistently shooting 23-25 for several months. Then, think about picking up one or two birds per 100 by changing to a pattern of 60/40 vs 70/30. Don't be concerned with the minor points of shooting and ignore the major factors that make a good trapshooter.

Pat Ireland

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Don't forget to keep the screw tight.

7. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've been fighting this for months...add a washer under the comb, take a washer out. Turns out that the difference it made in the placement of the pattern was insignificant. A former State champion watched me shoot and offered the following:

"Make sure you understand that the end of the barrel should show you where the bottom of your pattern is."

"Stop relaxing your head on the stock as you swing the gun. That's why you missed the last 4 birds."

"Keep the gun moving through the shot. You stopped your gun on every miss that round."

So it turned out that it was my technique and not my 70/30 that was the problem. Went out last evening and shot 200 targets. At 60/40 with my head down, I broke 97; at 70/30 I broke 98 and I know exactly why I missed the others.

Mike

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Listen to Neil Winston & Pat Ireland. Tinkering with adjustments causes too many shooters to make a change and they then start "aiming" to see if the change will cause more "hits". In effect, this causes them to begin shooting their shotgun like a rifle - this is sure to fail. I see this time after time. If your change to 60/40 is yielding better hits, leave it alone. Ed

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I do not know how mant times I have to put this in print. But a very LARGE part of this game is knowing what YOUR eye and brain want to look at. I myself shoot about 55/45............Your gun WILL and SHOULD vary!!!!!!

GS

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Tim M is right...let's see: changeable choke tubes; adjustable ribs; adjustable combs; adjustable buttplates; changeable triggers....the possibilities are endless. Then, after you change something, carefully aim at the next 25 targets using your new setting(s) and see what happens. Good day. Ed

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Shoot whatever POI works for you. You'r semi-subconcious mental fire control computer knows what it wants.

John C. Saubak

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

dynasty.... I agree that there are way too many adjustments available on a lot of trap guns. I admit I got caught up in the, change this, change that, habit every time my scores faltered. All that adjusting did was lull me into a false sense of security that my scores would get better. Sometimes they did but only for awhile. Then I would return to the same bad habits I had before changing the gun and "wham", right back in the toilet again. I finally sold my MX15 with its adjustable rib, adjustable pad, adjustable comb, 6 Briley choke tubes (and I used EVERY ONE of the damn things trying to find consistancy), and bought a fixed rib, fixed choke, DB-81 combo. Nothing left to adjust. Just shoot the targets as it is, one at a time when they come out. Since getting the DB-81, my scores have improved steadily. Once in a while they take a small nose dive but I know it's not the gun, it's me. I got some good advice many years ago from Jack Elkins, from Reno, Nevada, that I should have listened to. He told me to get a good quality, plain jane, combo and have it fitted. After that, he said to just shoot it and don't worry about anything else. If I had follwed that advice, I would be money ahead and would still be shooting a great gun that I know was going to break the targets as long as I did my part.....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. southpark

southpark TS Member

Just so we're clear, I wasn't saying that top shooters radically change their POI all the time as individuals, I was saying that one top shooter may shoot a 50/50 pattern while another may shoot a 120% pattern.

While I agree with, and made the point about fussing with it too much, I am probably from the school of thinking that says make the gun shoot where you're looking, rather than learn to look where the gun is shooting. So in that sense I guess I disagree with some posters above. Not that you should take my word for it, but be aware of the difference in perspective and ask someone like Phil Kiner, Harlen Cambell, or Leo Harrisson, what they think at one of their clinics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooters 70

shooting7030trapgun