1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7 million addicted to pain kilers in US

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Rick Barker, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Today a news story appeared that some 7 million people in the US are addicted to painkiller drugs.

Only 1-1/2 million are addicted to cocaine.

I think I can understand this as the pain in my knees and back seem to get worse every new morning, but it begs some questions for sure.

Is the war on drugs lost?

Is there a need to investigate the medical profession?

My thoughts are no to both questions, but I suspect you will hear a lot of people saying yes to both.

Bad enough one has to worry about drunks and coke users on the road, but the numbers must be very small when compared to the people with painkillers 'scribed to them.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Easily a third of the population in this country between 18 and 45 is on psychotropic drugs, painkillers, or illicit drugs. And that doesn't include the hopeless drunks. Try hiring people and administering the substance abuse tests and you'll find that out.

And don't forget about the children. About 1-in-8 grade school boys in this country are zombied-up on Ritalin, Adderall, etc., due mostly to bad parenting and incompetent teachers. In many cases, the schools actually force the parents to drug their kids.

Are we, as a country, acting to stem the tide of this growing problem? No, in many ways our government is actually subsidizing it with our taxdollars.

-Gary

3. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Lost a half a dozen friends to legal drug dealers. Isn't that considered a pandemic at seven million. Most of all the kids don't have dealer anymore they can just head for the medicine cabinet, hence parents today not worth there weight shat. Sorry for the tangent.

Brady

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The VA gives me the pain pills out the wazoo, I take them when I need them but but don't see why they are so addictive, I get no buzz or anything off them and they give me the max dose of Hydro cordone and oxy contin (sp)

Alleve works the best, but I'm not supposed to take it because of the rat poison coumadin, I take, but I still take them sometimes when it hurts too much

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

follow the money,, drug companies make money,, Doctors are major owners of drug companies,, insurance compinaies pay drug companies,, we pay insurance,,, doctors prescribe drugs to make money,,, all ways follow the money

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

cat, why does the VA "GIVE" you pain pills out the wazoo??? You must be whining that your in excruciating pain. If you are really taking the maximum dosage.....you would rethink your comments. Or just maybe, we now see the reason for your rants.

I think that the 7 mil is way off....I'd bet it's a lot higher than they want to admit.

7. cnsane

cnsane Member

Well ya see,,, drugs are bad and we need a war against the American Publics choices,, I mean Drugs. But MEDS are good, even though they are more addictive than street drugs. I've dealt long term with both types of people, and I prefer 'low life drug abusers' over 'medicated hypocrites' hands down. At least druggies are usually straight part of their waking hours. Pilled up pain in the asses are always so medicated that they have a hard time finishing a sentence. Most prescription drugs are just poisons that have beneficial side effects. And the pill manufacturers profits make the Columbian Cartels look like paupers. But pharmacutical drugs are taxed, so that alone makes it all good and respectable in the war effort. I believe GW22 has got the gist of it.

8. Catpower

221, KMA

I don't whine, they give them to me because with Coumadin you can't take NSAID's

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Doctors prescribe so many pain pills for one simple reason: their patients demand them. It's easy to blame drug companies or doctors, but we are doing it to ourselves.

10. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

As a bit of an aside to this post, I work for a company that hires temporary workers in the summer to fill in for vacationing regular workers. I talked with an HR guy one day and he told me that the manager of the temp agency he frequently works with told him that, nation wide, 69% of the applicants to the temp agency FAIL the drug test they give them.

11. 221

catpower....so now your claiming the VA is treating your heart disease???????? You have claimed in the past that your not military retired.....so please tell us why the VA is treating you for that. Seems you have no limit to your boasting about how much you have or are given by the taxpayers,,,,,all while you attempt to badger those that call you, on your BS.

The VA was never intended to be a free ride to the scammers that are abusing it.....it was intended for those that deserved and earned the benefit of free healthcare. AS rich as you brag you are, you should be paying your own bills.

And as far as kissing your ass.....don't hold your breath,... I have a DD363 that's hanging on my wall to vouch for my eligibility .

Hey...BTW...cat.....Do you hit the pay window too, when you visit the VA????????

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

To say that 7 million people are addicted to pain killers breaks down to about 2.2 percent of the population. That would seem a reasonable number based on people with legitimate needs.

Just like the anti-gun crowd distorts the numbers, those who wish to promote the use of recreational drugs are able to do the same thing.

Isn't it interesting, we can't comprehend 5 trillion dollars pissed away by the Government or the true representation of 7 million people in a population of 314 million.

Robert

13. Catpower

221, if you are really retired you would know that the VA is a benefit afforded to anyone who has an Honorable Discharge, which I have, plus a service connected disability

You must be on some good drugs to say I have bragged about being rich, I never have bragged about being rich, I have said I have had to pay in a lot in taxes before, but that doesn't make me rich

So KMA

14. 221

<EM>"the VA is a benefit afforded to anyone who has an Honorable Discharge"</EM> .....wrong, serving one enlistment does not automatically entitle you to health care for life.....wrong......Look it up. If all you have is an honorable discharge, YOU are abusing the system.

catpower...Answer the question.....DO YOU GET PAID, WHEN YOU VISIT THE VA?????????? You are always willing to refer to others, as low life's that suck up entitlements. What makes you so special?

Nice edit....a service related disability.....ROFLMAO.....heart disease is now service related.....scammer. You just keep blowing your horn....LMAO

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

221, your ignorance in unlimited.

16. 221

galt, your welcome

17. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

Rick,
    7 million addicts > Expalins how 'obama ' >> got elected ..

>> win

18. Catpower

221, it is very apparent that you have never served in the military or you would know how it works, and I never edited anything

No the heart problem is not my disability, having half my right foot shot off and almost being deaf in my right ear is

No the Va does not pay me to go there but I do get a check from them every month, but if I had my foot back and my hearing I would gladly fore go the check, but I give the check to my Grandsons to help pay their college loan

You are really pathetic, hiding there behind your keyboard, and lying about your military service

19. 682LINY

682LINY Member

catpow,, not to say you aint no DR ,, but I get comedin(sic),, aint never had a heart problem,,, but nearly lost my leg in 1978 and have just had my 12th surgury on it and am waiting for number 13,, have you ever heard of blood clots,,,

20. Catpower

682, I have A fib, the top half of my heart flutters, and they give me the coumadin so I don't get blood clots from that

I just do what the doctor tells me

Well most of the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.