1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8oz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Today was a Intresting day. Lots of new shooters. I girl did very well. I think this is a good idear of how recoil really affects new shooters. She was shooting a 870exspress. I told her boyfriend, Look I got a 5boxes of very soft shooting shells, why dont you trade me for those rem game loads. No. She proceeded to hit 3 on 1 2 on 2 and 1 on 3. I then walked up and gave him what I had left of some soft shooting 1oz. She pulled of a 3 and 4. Next round she used 7/8oz light load. shot a 17. I went walking around the club for a bit. Came back and there she was shooting a 1187 synthetic stock????missing like crazy. She quite after station 3. Was not happy with the recoil. Why didnt you keep here on the 870 with the loads I gave you, I asked the boy friend. Thought the 1187 would have less recoil. The girl then wimpers. I had no problem with the 870 and those light loads. Last round 870 and the 7/8 got a 18. Not great breaks but broken. Think she maybe hooked????

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Home wrecker.

3. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I did the same thing with my wife. Let her shoot for the first time with 1 1/8 oz; mistake. I had to convince her that I developed a new load just for her. Got her on the 7/8 and she is now addicted to shooting. Best thing I ever did.
    Just have to beat back the club members.

They all transformed into shooting instructors.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With newbies I never start them out with anything but 7/8 oz of 9s; my reloads. It seems those new folks never have an appropriate gun, never considered how it fit them, and always go to some big box mart and buy goose loads to try their hand at trap. The results are always pleasing for me and the newbie and there's plenty of time to demonstrate the difference between my weenies and even standard trap loads. I always let them shoot their last 5 or so from station 3 at 27 yards to experience the difference with yardage and I'm always amazed that several birds may be broken with the weenies. My philosophy in this routine came from the absolute panic of ladies and kids after their first ride when dad brought home the 18', flat bottomed boat with a chev. 454 engine and no mufflers and he MUST demonstrate how fast it can go and how it can slap through waves. My family had the same concerns until the first day in a boat was done slowly, quietly, and only wet when they wanted. They all became water skiers and boating enthusiasts. Most of those new shooters got the hook too....Bob Dodd

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I started my wife on these loads also, lightest 1oz Clays STS hull data. Then moved down to 7/8 just to conserve lead. I didnt even tell them they where 7/8 just soft target loads. That girl was pissed using that 1187, too light and did not fit her as well as the 870. They are comeing back next week and Im letting her try my wifes Browning gold with wenig New American ladies stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.