1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8oz loads STINK!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't care what anyone says, 7/8oz loads don't cut it. Sure, there are a lot cheap skates who swear by them but I'm here to tell you that my scores drop by 5% or there abouts on any given game (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays...but especially Trap) verses 1 1/8oz. So, when somebody tries to tell you that you can save a lot of money and a 7/8oz load is just as good as a 1 1/8oz load, tell them they're on crack.

I'd shoot 1 1/4oz if I could get away with it!

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

What Tron said.

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm on base with Tron. If you like tiny smoke puffs when you are centered versus big ones, then stick with 7/8 of an ounce. The feedback sucks. 1-1/8 oz at 1145 fps is hard to beat.

And I like size 7-1/2 shot too. It gives you more pellet energy and really grinds 'em.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Light tackle, o for the good ole days........

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

7/8oz. loads are for shooters who believe they hit the big time with a 90% Singles average!!

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is just what the doctor ordered for a hot Friday. Is that bait legal in this part of the lake?

I'm of the school the more soldiers you send into the battle the better the odds.

7. EEB

EEB Member

Tell that to the bunker and Olympic trap shooters. You just have to get your mind right.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is the needed change to cure everthing we hear in regards to ATA being "broken"?????

9. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I broke 100 last night in our weekly league with 7/8 oz. of hard 8's and the targets never knew the difference. I agree with flincher100; part of it is believing in your abilities. I talk with so many shooters who are convinced that they are giving something away if they don't shoot 1-1/8 oz. loads. Then they tell me about their recent shoulder or neck surgery, then show me their latest custom stock with the recoil reducers, or their new release triggers, or the new porting job. Shooting 7/8 oz. has nothing to do with being cheap, but a lot to do with honing your skills, both physical and mental. Just ask the bunker shooters!

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

notquite27 and EEB

If I did not know any better, it almost sounds like you guys are saying good scores are the result of skill and talent!

How dare you!!!! ;-)

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

7/8 or 1 1/8, who cares? Shoot what you want,shoot what works for you. I don't care if I chip a target or smoke a target - score is the same. Calling people cheap skates or crack heads doesn't make sense. Guess the bunker and Olympic shooters have it wrong.

rm

12. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Just goes to show you. You can shoot 1 1/2 ounce of shot at any given target from any given yardage and if you aren't on the target you won't break it. Plain and simple!!! Tim

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

How ofteh do you hear of a Bunker shooter scoring a 100?

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Shot 75 straight and a 99/100 this year with 7/8 7.5's. If your on your on. Dave T.

15. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

How ofteh do you hear of a Bunker shooter scoring a 100

So, that's the goal? Why not just make it all straight-aways, 3" shells, 2 oz of shot and make it "miss and out". If 100 straight is the goal, and that is the pinnacle of the sport, then I'd have to say ATA, compared to bunker, is much too easy.

16. jhoward

jhoward Member

Nice cast, Tron!

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Finally Tron the king of trolling returns

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I asked an international bunker shooter what he would prefer. He said 1 1/4 oz...

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

20. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like Tron has developed a very serious"FLINCH"to these wimpy loads.PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.