1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8oz load; your experience please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Started to use 7/8oz #8-1/2s ahead of 16.5gr Promo, CB 0178-12, and Fiocchi primer in a AA (new version) hull. After firing 1000 of these, out of a BT99 30" Micro with a full choke, I see no difference in my scores from the 16yd line. Very little recoil. Will start to use the same load out of a K80 with a 32" unsingle. Expect even less recoil as it's heavier than the Micro. If this experience holds, I'll probably stick with the load. Have been using 1oz before. Would appreciate your experience with 7/8oz loads. I'm a recreational shooter. Chichay

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

they work well; it's my favorite

but it may also depend on your ability.

At the higher levels, it just may be the shell that cost you a bird

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have been using 7/8 oz loads (Rem Hull, 17.1 grs Clays,Downrange wad and #8s) at the 16 for several years and have not noticed any fall off in scores or in the breaks I get. In fact, overall scores improved since there is less fatigue after 100 or more targets. I do use 1 oz loads with 7 1/2s beyond the 22 yard line since the 7/8 pattern gets a little thin out there, but for the shorter yardages, it just can't be beat in my opinion, at least for practice and I see no problem in local competitions either.

Jim R

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

7/8 oz 8.5 (when I can find it) or 8's, Claybuster 4100 wad, about 16.5 gr of Nitro 100 (depends on new or old formulation check you manuals and scale), Win 209, Rem STS or Gun Club has been my load for a couple of years. This is a light load only clearing the barrel at approximately 1150-1200 FPS. Targets, IF I DO MY JOB, break just fine. Recoil out a a Rem 1100 or 11-87 is light. The load is so light that the 1100 (newly cleaned) will need a bit of help opening after the shot some of the time. Same load in a 11-87 operates just fine. I suspect the new recoil spring in the 1100 might be just a bit to strong.

Scores actually went up a small bit when I went to this load leaving behind 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz loads. when shooting 16s. On the few times I have go to 22 yards, the scores went down a bit but I shoot very few of these targets in a year. When I do center the bird, the break is just fine even at 22.

I shoot very quickly and use a .027 or a Trap Full choke in the 11-87 and the factory Full choke barrel (no tubes) in the 1100.

Did notice a bag of shot lasting a good bit longer when loading.

Overall experience Very Positive.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Same very, very positive experiences as those reported above. Rem STS hulls, Downrange 7/8 XXL pink wads, ~17.3 gr. Clays, Win 209, and 7/8 oz. 8.5s. Perfect for 16 yds and 1st shot on doubles. Great performance and economy. Also work for practice out to 23 yards with Extra Full choke. Best Regards, Ed

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

You will lose birds by using a 7/8 oz load. It is very simple. More shot or the same number of shot but of more mass will give you a better chance of breaking birds.

Do not let your scores on a good day fool you. See what the top shooters are using and ask them why. I know some good shots who are using 7/8 and 1 oz loads to save money but none are competitive.

If you are a "club shooter", and shooting for fun you, will get more bang for the buck with lighter loads. If you are serious about winning, you have made a poor decision.

The difference may be an average of 97 vs 97.5 for a good shooter. Frankly, no one can tell you; but fewer pellets will mean fewer hits in the end.

But then, I am a simple minded man.

Don Verna

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I have loaded 24 gram-7/8 oz for many years, and I have found that this load likes speed. I load all my 12 ga shells to a minimum of 1250 fps, and get great breaks. My primary trap gun has a fixed .039" choke. This might have something to do with it. :^)

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When Leo was asked why He shot 1 1/8 oz loads, he replyed, because they won't let me shoot 1 1/4 oz. loads. More shot breaks more targets,pure & simple.Give me all the help I can get! Clyde Doll

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Leo said that? I thought it was Dan Orlich? or was it Ned Lilly? damn, I forget...

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

My first 100, was with reloads on downrange 3/4 ounce wad.

In that 100 there where 3 birds that I did enough wrong they should have been lost!

N. Winston had a chart that showed that the ability to point a shotgun into a 10 inch circle 90+ percent (the higher percentage the higher the average) of the time has more do to with breaking a good score and carrying a high average.

An conversely when international trap went to 24 gram load MAX, those scores and averages actually went up.

most of the shooters I have spoken with that have gone to lighter loads also say while they were NOT going for speed, those loads are a bit faster, or fast enough that the wind has taken fewer birds out of the shot path then, they had been accustomed to!

Those that say you will loose birds, are probably so worried about that they miss from worry!

So go with light loads with knowledge, that I do my part, the bird breaks! have fun and be able to shoot more. MORE being the true key to higher scores and averages!

Also if the recoil to your shoulder is what tells your brain that the trigger was pulled, you may see smoked targets before you realize the trigger was pulled!

AL

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like shooting the 7/8 Oz shells but it seems like there is less margin for error even at the 16 with these rounds. This could just be a preconceived motion on my part. So for what ever reason, I just prefer the 1 Oz loads for singles and doubles and a heavy 1 1/8 oZ load from the 27.

Now if the 7/8 Oz shells are working for you and you don't have any negative mind games going on when you use them then by all means stick with what works for you. The lack of recoil can't help but improve your shooting.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Top steal a phrase from The Technoid -

If you are shooting at a level such that you win or loose by one bird, and winning or loosing is important to you, then use all the law allows.

If you are shooting for fun, and less recoil and a $$$ savings on shot makes it more fun, then use less shot.

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

When we compare the 24 gr. loads the bunker folks are using, we need to remember that most of the time they are launching 1 3/4 ounces of shot quicker than we fire one shell on regular trap. Back in the day, we were flinging 2 1/2 ounces at 1325 fps. Hurts just thinking about it. Ron

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been loading weenies for at least 15 years and have posted several 100s at the singles. I put the load together for skeet and found by accident they were deadly on singles. I do not believe I lost anything but recoil favoring them for skeet, singles trap, first shot of trap doubles, and at least 1/2 of sporting/5 stand shots. I use #9s and keep them in the area of 1220 fps, have used old Winchester and Rem STS hulls and mostly CB wads. While I compete no more for physical reasons, I still lean heavily on the weenie loads for what fun I have left.......Bob Dodd

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

STS hull,7/8 oz.,Win 209 primer, WAA12L or Downrange DRXXL pink wad 17.7 G promo.
    This all my kids use in there bt 99 and I cant count how many rounds they have run with it.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

goose2

My exact load, for off season practice. If you can't run straights with it, the problem is YOU, not the load.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It really just shows you how much of a mind game this sport is!

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for all the input. I shoot for fun and thoroughly relish what this load requires of me to make it work. Chichay

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Chichay, the weenies need a reasonable amount of push to get a good, consistent burn on the powder which relates to adequate internal pressure to perform well. Reducing the shot weight OR reducing the velocity on 1 oz or more loads will work but the 7/8 oz loads, I found with a lot of chronographing, need just a bit more velocity to get that consistent burn and, therefore, consistent velocity. You'll see above that those of us that responded with velocities suggest 1220 to 1250 fps is a very good idea and that's for the consistency of the velocity/powder burn/internal pressure. If you drop down too far with velocity, you will, somewhere along the way, begin to have funny sounding and behaving shells. Have fun with them.......Bob Dodd

20. shrek

shrek Active Member

as others have indicated I also concur that you need to be at 1250 fps or a little faster to get enough pressure for consistant burns with the 7/8 oz shells.

I also like them quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.