1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 @ What Speed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

Was wondering if i moved to 7/8 oz. of shot what is the prefered speed. With red dot i have a choice of 1200,1250 or 1300, but as of now i am sticking with 1 oz.

Bill

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

How about the same speed that you're used to? Doesnt mess up your timing.

I shoot 7/8 at 1150 to 1200, AA or Gun Club hulls, #31 Mec bushing Red dot about 16.5 and Green dusters.

Fed 209a's make 1200, Fiocchi or W209s run 1150. Works for me, been using them for 3 years now.

Loooove them!

Played with 3/4 oz as well, dropped a few but its only one data point.

3. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

have loaded 7\8 with as little as 14.5 of red dot,win grey wad & win 209 primer
    works very well from 16yd with no recoil. if i do my job it even works ok from hcp. hope this helps

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I tried various loads between 1150 and 1250, but settled on 1200 fps which gave me the most consistent patterns, and seemed to break the clays better on the average. Good breaks and even smokes some. My load is 7/8 oz #8s, 17.1 grains Clays, W209 primers in STS hulls. This load works great in my Beretta.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Don't forget to keep an eye on pressure. In the winter, 9000psi as a minimum has been recommended in previous posts.

Mike

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have shot the 24 gram load for years, and you definitely need 9000+PSI. I prefer speeds over 1300 fps. My favorite Bunker load clocks just shy of 1380.
    Patterns great.

I was not impressed with 24 grams at 1200 fps. I am delighted with 24 grams at 1350+. STILL very little recoil.

Red Dot is a fantastic Intl' Bunker load propellant.

7. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

This was a recent topic on another site. One responder who does a lot of testing reported that for 7/8 oz 12 ga loads he found that around 1220 fps gave the best patterns. Much below 1200 the cores were dense but loose around the edges. Much above 1250 the patterns opened up too quickly. I use Solo 1000 at around 1220 with good results for sporting clays.

8. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I use 7/8 oz with either 8 or 81/2 magnum shot, dowrange xxl wad, # 33 mec bushing, drops 18.2grs of claydot, with a cci-209- smashes em if I do my thing with an NCP 391 Beretta IM choke for singles---speed should be a little under 1300 according to charts----Phil

9. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I think that 7/8 does pattern a little tighter, kinda like adding a tighter choke, def less fringe. I use 1240 or so and 8 1/2 shot. Also loaded up a bunch of 3/4 oz with hard 9 at 1200. Very impressive 16 yard load. Three 100's so far, gonna try to make some more today. just seems like the lighter loads cause me to tighten up a bit and do a little better, the recoil is sweet. Promo, I think 18.3. your results may vary

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

les morgan, could you direct me to that site with the patterning information? I'm going to be doing some patterning with two wads and 7/8 oz. in Tucson soon (weather permitting) and always like to have something to compare with. It's important to know how the work was done as well. The thing is, I found no difference at all with Remington one-ounce loads from light to Nitro-27 and wonder why there is a difference (beyond the fact, of course, that everyone "knows" this is what happens . . .)

Neil

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

In agreement with shooting coach's note on adequate pressure, Interesting thing I noticed, but not all conclusive, was the difference in velocity per change in powder; i.e. I saw a big jump in velo going from 16 to 16.5 of red dot with my load cited above. This threshold may also be influenced by changes in temperature and primer selection.

I had tested some of the higher speed loads and found the grey CB wad very inconsistent in speed. Will check what exact combo was but it was dissapointing! I also see the STS at lower velocity than AA or my absolute Fave, the RXP (yup still got some and wont let em drop until they don work anymore)

regards

12. Shooting Coach

I have also had mediocre results with the WAA12L (Grey) wad. I use the Claybuster 12SO clone, and the WAA12SL clone in the AA hull with a very bulky powder (REX I). Solo 1000 is also a premier Bunker load powder, as is Red Dot.

I have also had great results with the Claybuster 4100 Lightning. I prefer the 12SO type wad in combination with REX I powder.

13. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

I shoot 7/8 loads at a little over 1260fps using the Claybuster 4100 wad and Solo 1000. If I try to load it for 1220fps or slower I'll get a few off/weak sounding shells in a batch during warm weather and a few that are what I'd describe as a misfire when shooting in colder weather (more of a poof than a bang.... shot and wad do leave the barrel, but will only break a clay if I'm on it quick outta the house... which I seldom am!). Same powder load shoots 1 oz fine regardless of the weather. Bumping the powder load up one number on the charge bar solved all of my 7/8 load issues.

my .02,

-Tim

14. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Neil, the post was on Shotgunworld.com go to shotgun forums then reloading. The origional question was titled 7/8 oz & PB, Its on page 2 tonight. The comment about velocity was by DL Marcum.
    After reading Tim Lee's above post I tend to agree with him. When shooting 7/8 oz with Solo 1000 at around 1200 I have an occasional shell that sounds light(about 1 in 50) but at 1260 and above they are very consistant.

15. Shooting Coach

REX O might be the key for low speed 24 gram loads. As fast as our standard powders like Red Dot and such are, they do not develop needed pressure for consistent performance at the speeds some want.

Availability might be something else.

FWIW, I have heard numerous weak reports from the factory Winchester "Feather" load.

16. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

Shooting Coach -

I agree about the Winchester Ultralite load.

I shot next to a guy using them a couple weeks ago and I thought he was having misfires on about half of them. Except for the fact they were still breaking clays, I kept expecting him to need to drop a wad knocker thru, LOL!

-Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.