1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 vs 1 oz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

Thanks for help-- fixed problem

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can't leave us dangling like that poppy, what was the problem?

3. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

4. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Thanks for that anecdotal evidence of nothing, Bore.

5. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Big bore I'm with you those federal 1 oz 1290 can smack a bunker target. my reload bunker round 7/8 of 8 with 20.6g International, fio primer,downrange pink, with a rem hull. hodgen say 1300fps. enjoy Kerrrville

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Mike

Our reloads often outperform factory ammo, especially promo bullets.

My Bunker load of 22 gr Solo 1000, Rio primer, Kemen hull, Claybuster 12SO clone wad, and 24 grams of good 7 1/2's will break a target harder than about ANY comparable factory load.

The main reason I do not shoot eights is because I do not buy eights. For simplicity, I use 7 1/2's for everything except where nines are mandated for Skeet.

There are many of us who are most interested in your tests of wads v/s quality of breaks. I would not be amazed if the humble 12SO is the Gold Standard.

7. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

You guys have raised an interesting question for me: choking has a lot to do with load performance, so what are the thoughts about relieving factory Perazzi chokes? I left my chokes alone after ISSF went to 24 grams - thinking that tighter was better with the smaller loads, but modern shells are so good that for bunker (or most anything else) I'm thinking that 0.035"/0.041" is too much. Olympic Silver Medalist Josh Lakatos told me in 1999 that his OT gun was choked 0.024"/0.029" and he crushed targets. Your thoughts are solicited. -J.W.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The only two reasons to use less than 1 1/8 oz. loads is because recoil is a problem or your trying to save some $$$$$$. Your all living in never-never land if you think your going to break more birds with less shot than the max allowed.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

shot410ga,welcome to never-never land where reality is suspended and reason is left at home. Here we test wads by "reading the breaks."

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as the power of belief. If a person is comfortable with a low recoil shell they will turn in better scores than if they are using ammo that beats them up. Reality is a matter of perception.

11. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

When, around 1990, the UIT capped the maximum shot load at 1.0 ounce (28 grams), scores in Int'l Trap & Skeet went UP. There is nothing that a one-and-one-eighth-ounce load can do, that a one-ounce load cannot do. The additional 1/8 ounce only gives you more recoil - which serves merely to increase muzzle-jump between shots and wear you out faster. Unless you are shooting at targets more than 60 yards away...or at pigeons or helice...I'm convinced that the standard one-and-one-eighth-ounce load is actually a handicap and hindrance. A 12 gauge 7/8 ounce load, however, is probably only good for 16-yard singles, skeet and (as it's required) the Int'l disciplines. -John

12. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

The cost of shot got me to playing with the 7/8 oz loads for practice. I sought advise here and got GREAT advise from those with a lot of experience loading 7/8 oz loads. (Rember the old saying about experience being the best teacher.....experience is talking above, if you are interrested in 7/8 loads, LISTEN). I have not tried the 19.6 gr Red Dot load Mike has suggested but have used 18.6 gr Red Dot with 7/8 oz of 8's. (This was the closest bushing that I had for my sizemaster). It is supposed to run 1275-1300 with various wads..Claybuster, Green Duster, Windjammer.

MY OPINION: Patterns are a little smaller with 7/8 oz shot. If you are centering the birds, this does not matter. If you are getting weak breaks and chipping the target, your score will drop due to less flyers. You probably will need to increase your choke to ensure adequate pellet density. How much choke will depend on your load & gun.

MY OBSERVATION: 7/8 loads with .025 choke from my gun will destroy 16-21 yard targets. I thought that I might need more choke from 21 yds, but the .025 was plenty.

Voolfie, your friend may have been correct in his recommendation of .024/.029 of choke. Last night I was taking my time on the 21 yard birds with .025 choke and getting very solid breaks.

Mike, I shot 5 boxes of the above load with Green Dusters and was vaporizing 16 yd targets and getting very, very solid hits at 21 yds. I would estimate that my 21 yd targets were being hit 10 yds further out than the 16 yds, as I purposely slowed down to get a good read of the angle of the target before pulling the trigger. Would be interrested in your OPINION of the Green Dusters.

REDD04

13. Shooting Coach

Since my favorite sport allows 24 gram loads, it is encouraging to know they will do the job on other games.

By all means, shoot the 1290 foot 1 1/8 oz load at every ATA target. The extra recoil will fatigue the average shooter, and handicap him at the end of the day.

As a gunsmith, firearms subjected to mass quantities of these loads generally need more time in repair.

This is a win/win situation for me. LOL

No one thinks you are a boob for wanting to shoot these thumpers. Why would one think us a boob for not shooting them?

As far as the fellow with the tightly choked gun, Les Greevy once told me, "Chokes are in inches. Misses are in feet."

I have never had reason to disagree with him.

Shoot well, shoot more.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach: All things being equal the shooter with more shot on the target is going to win. Less holes. I've done the 7/8's thing. Still shoot 8.5's one ounce for singles, but on the back line the bestest with the mostest is going to win.

15. Shooting Coach

The 12SO may be the Gold Standard in the "Sport of Kings". International Bunker.

I will shoot 1 1/8 oz at the back fence, run at 1200 fps. That is the only place I see the need, and one ounce loads at 1250 will break them just as well.

16. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

several years ago on a cold Ohio night(around 20 degrese or so) i shot a box of 7/8oz of #8's from the 27 yard line,broke 23/25 didnt relise i had wrong shell till I went back to the truck to grab my box of 7/8 loads and they were gone(in my pouch)not that I would shoot or do shoot 7/8 loads from the 27 on a regular basis, but will practice with them,im my Bt-99 pluss with extra full choke.

17. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

"If you can crush one from the 27 yard line.. you can crush them all"

Now that's really deep, Bore.

18. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Learn how to spell intelligent Bozo Bore. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.