1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 vs 1 oz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

Irecently loaded 1 0z and then 7/8 oz with same compontents. when I checked them over chrno the 7/8 were slower. Please explain as less shot should be faster.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What powder? Sounds like you were using something that is a little on the 'slow' side.

3. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I used 16.2 grains of clays

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

move back when you chronograph them. At least 6' between the muzzle and the first screen. Your 7/8 oz loads are definitely going faster than the 1oz loads with that load of Clays.

5. lisalong

lisalong Member

I used to load 7/8 oz but used 18 grains of clays. I loved them, but I don't reload anymore. No time.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

could it be the wrong wad?

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Just try 18.2 or so and you should get 1240 with STS or WW. Just a pressure situation.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with the side of more powder for more and reliable pressure and consistent burn. I'd recommend at least 17 gr. of Clays, an appropriate wad, Win. or similar primer and a true 7/8 oz of shot for 16 yards, 1st shot of doubles, skeet, and close sporties....Bob Dodd

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

poppy5, we need to know what you mean by slower. You have to consider the spread as well as the average (mean). How much different were the means and how many shells were tested? If the extreme spreads (either of them) were much over 30 or 40 fps the speed averages don't mean much.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.