1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 recipes Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CharlieW, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieW

CharlieW TS Member

I would like to have some of your recipes for 7/8 loads. Will use them for singles and doubles. I'm using AA hulls with fed 209a primers.

Charles

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Charles- Refer to a good reloading manual or the Allient web site. Pick a load that develops adequate chamber pressure to achieve consistent powder burning and produces the velocity you want. That will be much more accurate and useful than some of the recommendations that may be posted on this thread.

Pat Ireland

3. doc boc

doc boc Member

I'm using remington sts with seventeen and a half grains of clays, claybuster grey wads or winchester greys. i get 1250fps from my spacegun.
    doc

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

AA Hull
    Fed 209A Primer
    16.7 grs Red Dot
    Winchester Pink 1oz Wad
    7/8 oz Remington Hard Shot
    1225 approx. fps

Works for me. Check the book to verify.

Regards

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Pat Has some VERY GOOD ADVICE....USE A MANUAL!!!
    I love my 7/8 loads.
    I have noted that the AA Gray hull (Silver Bullet I think)is about 1/8" shorter then the standard AA Red hull.
    This problem gave me fit's for about an hour untill I took a MIC and found the hight difference.

This was not a problem for 7/8 load, But for 1oz it was, I went to a 1.1/8 AA wad to get a true 1oz of shot in the load.
    After some slight tweeking on my MEC I came up with a very nice 1oz Handicap load that DISTROY target's at 26 yards.
    But like Pat Said GET A MANUAL FIRST!!!!

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

And check the manuals from Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading.

They sell European wads from Gualandi and Baschieri & Pellagri that are designed specifically for 24gm. or 7/8 oz. loads.

Tony

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Check the Manuals and use your powder scale but 16.4 gr 700X and gray AA/CB wad makes a fine 7/8 oz load in AA/Rem hull.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In the other century, I, too, used the old style AA with 16.4 gr. of 700X and the gray AA or CB wad with Win. primers and that morphed into STS hulls later with no change in powder but off and on with Cheddite primers. Even later, I found +/- 17 gr. of Clays to behave just about the same. Ditto read the manuals and use a good scale.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Downrange XXL - Pink wad, any primer/powder/shot you like, Read the manuals for recipes

10. bling 27

bling 27 Member

As Pat at said ,check the manual. I can tell you what I like: STS hull,7/8 oz. shot, Win. 209 primer,Rem TGT 12 wad,16.8 gr's Clays. 7500psi 1200fps Wayne

11. snkypete

snkypete Member

I load a AA hull, Win. 209 primer with 17.2 gr Clays and a WWA12SL or Claybuster clone. Love this load. It works very well for me. Good luck.

Richard

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I Like REX1, Unigue, Red Dot, and any other powder that will give me a load just about dead center between the Minimum and maximum, loads listed in the manuals with out having to change anything!

Before my latest favorite, It was 16.5 grains of REX1 an XXL Pink wad, a light 7/8oz charge, chedite 209 primers, and anything similair to a AA hull! whicked whicked whicked, clay cruncher! easy on my shoulder!

Al

Also check Allaint powders, web site, they have a contact E-mail, fast friendly, great!
    I think it is Paul on the other end!

13. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have been shooting 7/8 oz loads for about 3 years now and it works as well for skeet as it does for 16 yd. trap. All I do is switch shot bottles from 9s (skeet) to 8s or sometimes 7-1/2s for trap.

The load in STS hulls is the Federal 209-A primer, 17.5 gr. of green dot (actual drop from a MEC #30 bushing), Claybuster grey 7/8 oz wad, and 7/8 oz of the appropriate sized shot.

It chronographs at 1225 from the 32" BT barrel and at 1175 from the 26" 870 skeet barrel.

Now, Green Dot is a tad dirty with a light shot charge like that, but in a pump or a break open gun, that part of it is irrelevant.

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

17gr. REX 1, WJ II wad, F616 primer, 380grs. #9 shot, and a Win AA hull 1235 over the chronograph. Great for first shot doubles and singles. Richard

15. Big Az Al

WoW BLKLAB,

under 3/4, but just a tad warmer then my 16.5 REX1 load, sounds like right up my alley!

Al

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Big Az Al, where in AZ did you find those XXL pink wads? Or, did you order them from out of state? So far, I'm not having much luck finding a good source for components without ordering them from out of state. I'd like to have the pink and orange wads but the 50+ bucks shipping charge is a tad over the top. Hap

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

STS hull. W209 primer.Claybuster 7/8 oz wad or downrange 7/8 wad.
    14.5 grains AA-Lite or 17 grains Promo or 17 grains 700X or 17 grains clay dot or the list goes on but I really like the AA-lite.PJ

18. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Try a 3/4 oz. load...breaks 16 yd targets with ease. Use your 7/8 oz. recipe with #9 shot - put a .125 cardboard wad - 32 ga. - in the shotcup of your wad, drop in 3/4 oz. shot. Crimps the same as 7/8 oz. Ran several 25s with this 3/4 oz. load. Best regards, Ed

19. Big Az Al

Hap.

I got them thru Bills Custom Recoil Reducers, thats Bill Simons, out of Pearce AZ.

I got what he had, at I think the State shoot.

At the three big shoots, there was quite a few vendors with them!

Drop me an E mail,

AL

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Al, email sent. Thanks. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.