1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 Oz. Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I've loaded a few boxes of 7/8 oz. loads using some Claybuster CB-0178-12 gray 4-petal wads. I kind of like the way the loads perform (first shot on doubles, etc.). I'm wondering if there is another choice of 7/8 oz. wads I could try as these tend to load very hard on a MEC 9000G. They tend to stick going into the hull pretty often. Anyone out there have a recommendation?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"They tend to stick going into the hull pretty often. "

That's just a characteristic of Claybuster wads.

Other good 7/8 ounce wads:

Winchester WAA12L

Downrange XXL Pink 7/8 ounce wad

Federal 12S0

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a 12SO or claybuster equiv in a Gun club hull. Perfect fit and performance.

HM

4. grumpyduck

grumpyduck TS Member

Might try clear dusters wads www.dusterwads.com If you ask for a sample they usually send about 150 or so.

Depending on how worn the wad guide fingers are that may be a reason for the sticking wads?

I use the CB-0178-12 on a 9000G with Rem. hulls and have zero problems. One issue with these wads being a little longer is they don't always fit between the wad ramming tube and the top of the wad guide so grinding a little bevel into the outside edge of the wad guide has helped get them to slide into place a little easier.

I can't find the link for photo's but if I do I'll post it as it shows exactly how to bevel the wad finger guide.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

best I've used are the downrange wads...

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll print this thread and go wad shopping.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jon, I've been using the CB copy of the 12L for 7/8 oz loads off and on for a long time; mid-80s. I've never seen a propensity of having the wads being reluctant to load smoothly on two seperate MEC machines. What hull are you using? Mine were initially old style double A winchesters then STS hulls when Winchester went to the HS hull. At other times I've used the Winchester original 12L and the cb copy of the Federal 12SO without problems either. I'd guess I've used the CB copy of the 12L at least 70% of the time......Bob Dodd

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Check your wad guide.. The CB4100 works very well for close shots.. past that I perfer the DRXXL,12SO,DRXL1,and Duster.. The 12SO and XXL for long ranges performs the best in my testing.. and the 12SO and XXL for ultra high speeds..(over 1300)... If you want to assemble some excellent wads for high speeds and long distances.. I use the 12SO3 with a fiber base filler..

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

is there such a thing as an 8 petal, 1 oz or 7/8 oz wad?

Thanks.

John

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"is there such a thing as an 8 petal, 1 oz"

Downrange Jammer XL-1 is an 8 petal 1 ounce wad.

Not sure about 7/8 ounce.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The DRxl jammer is my first choice in a 8 pedal 1oz.. but the CB4100 in a Federal hull works well with 1 oz too..

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

err ... all of the questions that have been asked ... are answered a few threads down (with pics) ... <i> WAD Comparison Chart (gettin closer) near Done </i>

mail or PM if you want the complete spreadsheet.

Bob

13. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The CB4100-12 wad is a 7/8 and 1 oz wad, but you'll find the same difficulty going thru your wad guide as the CB 0178-12 wad. I'm only using them because a club member was having difficulty with the 8 petals in his Spolar machine. Ordinarily I use the DR XXL-Pink 12 ga wad. Loading it is a breeze.

14. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Did some more testing this weekend at a shoot, using 7/8oz in a downrange tgt12 replacement wad in a once fired AA hull, did wonders on singles and both shots of doubles, got very hard breaks and this was with reclaimed shot to boot. Loaded over 18gr red dot, shoots soft as well.

In loading the 7/8 oz for the past 2 years I have found that the typical 1 oz wad's work better in AA hulls, I have used both downrange xl-1 and tgt-12 with good results. In the remington hulls these work ok, but the downrange xxl pink wads work even better and seem to pattern better on hotter loads up around 1325fps.

If you use the old style AA then the xxl works great in them too, the only problems I've had in the new AA with the xxl pink is the wad hanging up and not going down far enough to allow for the shot and still crimp correctly.

John... The Downrange jammer xl-1 is an 8 petal wad and works good for 7/8 oz in a new style AA.

Mr. Mark

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

John M., why do you prefer those 8 petal wads over the 4, or anyone else for that matter? Hap

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hap.. if you make it a point to get some of the 8 pedals mangled up in the shot.. they open faster for close in shooting.. in my book.. that is the ONLY reason for there existance..

17. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

I went shooting at Redlands this past weekend.

A very kind gentleman told me that he saw my thread on TS about 7/8 oz wads, and proceeded to hand me a full of bag of Claybusters 7/8 oz. wads.

Thank you, Harvey, you are a true gentleman.

I am in your debt.

John

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The best 7/8oz wad is the one on the SKEET range.............

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cb 0178-12 loads
cb0178-12 wads

claybuster 0178-12 wads

claybuster cb 0178-12
downrange sub for cb4100
downrange xxl pink