1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz wads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 2str8, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2str8

2str8 TS Member

Just a quick question. I am sort of new to reloading and have been loading 1oz of hard shot with Green Duster 1oz wads. I am playing with the idea of going to 7/8 oz loads. Can I get by with using the 1oz green duster wads or will I have crimp problems? I load with a Mec. Thanks. 2str8

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are loading AA hulls and use a bulky powder such as Clays, or Red Dot, you will be good to go. If not, you will need the 12SO, Lightning, or WAA12L type wads.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

I use claybuster 1 oz. to load 7/8 and 3/4 oz. loads

Bill

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

2str8, assuming you're using AA or STS hulls, your best bet is to get the Winchester 12L or the Clay Buster 078 wad. The 12SO will also work but only because it's designed to go in a straight wall hull. I've used all 3 wads at different times and prefer the 12L or CB078. They are both gray wads and are readily available from most sources. I prefer 700X with the 7/8 oz weenies and the 12L type wad. Nipper doesn't tell us which CB 1 oz wads so it's hard for me to comment on that.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

i load 3/4 oz. with cb 6100 wad, sts hulls, 16.5 red dot, winchester primer,0 recoil

bill

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear 2STR8

With a AA hull, primer (or Nobel, Cheddite, Fiocchi, etc), and the Green Duster, you can use 19 gr of Red Dot and get good results at around 1300 fps.

When subbing 700X for the above load, 18.5 gr will get you up to 1325 fps.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

2str8, did you know that duster makes a new wad for 7/8 oz? Go to there web site and check it out, and there is data for the wad. 10tenner

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I like the Remington TGT-12 wad and Titewad powder for my 7/8oz loads when using Remington hulls.

ec90t

9. rea5339

rea5339 TS Member

Down Range XXl Pink works well in STS for 7/8 oz.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recomend the Winchester AA12L grey wad, I have tried the 7/8 in the tgt12 wads and just couldnot get a decent crimp.

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Downrange XXL-Pink, Claybuster Lightning, and the new Clear Duster have worked well with me for Remington and Winchester hulls. The only adjustment I had to make on my MEC was the wad pressure. I like being able to change from 7/8 to 1 oz loads just by changing the wads and not having to make a number of crimp adjustments.

12. TomP

TomP TS Member

I just tried the new Duster clear (white) 7/8 oz. wads and they work and crimp as good as the 1oz. dusters. I am going to them as a primary load for sure!!

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

2str8, forgive my typing, the CB wad I'm recommending is CB 0178-12. I just left a few items out for you to ponder.

I have tried the Winchester 12 SL (or CB clone) one ounce wads but have seen that considerable dishing of the crimp would need some major adjusting on the loader and I've rejected that idea when the 12L or CB 0178 work well with maybe an adjustment in the wad ram depth. BTW, I'm not married to the 1300+ FPS idea of these weenie loads preferring to hang around with 1200 to 1220 fps which does a gem of a job of turning 16 yard, skeet, and close sporting birds to a cloud of dust if pointed at.

Nipper's choice is, according to Clay Buster, designed specifically for straight wall hulls. Being a fatalistic purist, I choose to use the ones designed for tapered hulls in STS or AAs.....Bob Dodd

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use the grey winchester or claybuster wads with 16.4 grains of 700X. It makes perfect crimps on my 650. Smokes targets too with 8 1/2 shot.

15. SX1Trap

SX1Trap TS Member

DR XXL 7/8 Pink are the way to go! Very easy to reload with WIN AA new hulls, W209 primer, and 18.6 grains of SOLO 1000 for 1250 fps.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm not the fatalistic purist that Bob is. But I am anal about other things. One of them is a refusal to adjust my dies for various loads. If the components don't fit well AND work well, I discard the load.

I reload Remington STS and Gun Club hulls, but just added Gold Medal hulls again. My all time favorite load at under 1200fps is STS hull, STS209 or W209 primer, 15.9gr Red Dot, Federal 12S0 wad and 7/8oz hard shot, for around 1180fps. The all time best load is STS hull, STS209 primer, 16gr e3, 12S0 wad and 7/8oz hard shot. It shoots consistently well and is the only slow 7/8oz load that gives me SDs in the single digits. Adding more powder than either of those loads using the same components results is slightly bulged crimps, so for Bunker loads I use a different hull. Gold Medal hull, Fed209A primer, 19.6gr Am Sel, 12S0 wad and 24g hard shot make a truly wonderful load if you are looking for fast.

DRM XXL pink 7/8ox wads work if you keep the speed above 1250fps. I have 1,000 left to use up, and I won't be buying more. You can keep the Win WAA12L(gray) wad. I also don't like the clones as well as I like the originals.

When I take everything (except price) into account, the very best performing 7/8oz and 24g wads are Federal 12S0 at low velocities in an STS hull, or at higher than 1250fps in a Gold Medal hull, or the Gualandi Spark in a Riefenhauser hull with a high base wad, or low base wad with a very bulky powder, or the Gualandi Rex in a low base wad Riefenhauser hull at over 1300fps. Everything else, IMO, is second best.

17. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ZZT, Kevin at DWRM tested the Orange XXL for 3/4 oz, and found a increased psi and was more consistent than the XXL pink wad at lower PSI loads. He noted the same effect as the 12So wad, better sealing for light payloads. If I had know this I would have bought XXL Orange wads. 10tenner

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

10Tenner, I'm not interested in 3/4oz loads, but your info sounds correct. I asked Kevin if he had plans to make a 12S0 clone and he said they already did, the XXL Orange. I'll pick up two bags at the Westy Hogans and give them a try. Maybe CAC will swap the pink for the Orange.

19. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

ZZT, I figured that you where not interested in 3/4 oz, just giving some results that Keven gave out on the diffence in a tighter powder seel for lighter payloads.

rev, I have had great success with the Rex wad, but the wad has gotten to expensive. We might get it in the price range if Graphs&Sons would order the Rex wad again. I may give them a call and have them put some Rex wads on there next order, but I am afraid that the Italian wads are going up in price!! 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

waa12l wad green dot