Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

7/8 oz Wads

6K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  pudgie 
#1 ·
I am currently reloading AA hulls with the grey winchester 7/8 oz wads. I was looking for suggestions on an alternative wad. I like to practice with 7/8 oz loads. I have always loaded the winchester grey wads, but they are pricey. Suggestions? Thanks.

#6 ·
I just compared 7/8 oz loads using
Tittewad 18.0 grains
Fiocchi primer
Remington hulls

With the dr XXL WAD the fit is perfect without the need to change the reloader settings from my normal 1 oz loads.

The Clear Duster is shorter and leaves a little valley in the crimp.

The Claybuster wad is also the perfect fit.

So depending ow what powder you use one of the above will be a perfect fit. The Titewad is denser than Clays or some other powders so it will not be my first choice for loads in the future. I had lots of plastic build up in my choke tubes with Claybusters in the past so my go to wad for 7/8 oz in Remington huLls will be the DRV XXL

#9 ·
Suggestion: consider using Downrange XL-1 wad for both 7/8 AND 1 oz loads in Remington STS or Nitro (gold) hulls. Check and follow the data in Hodgdon Reloading manual for both types of loads - 7/8 or 1 oz. They load efficiently and perform effectively. The advantage is that you only need to stock 1 type of wad for both loads and the data indicates that less powder is necessary than if you go out and buy 7/8 wads (DR XXL7/8). Works well for me. Regards, Ed

#15 ·
Another vote for C.B.s I load STSs Rem. primer 15.5--16gr Promo pink C.B. clone or TGTs 7\8oz. "0" wad pressure & get good crimps also works well with 1oz. Tried D.R. XXL too many soft recoil--odd sounding--plastic build up that I don't get with TGTs or C.B. clones. Just my experience---Ross Puls

#22 ·
I use Clays and downrange XXL. I have had issues in cold weather with many (while trying differnt wads) of my 7/8 loads at different times, the DRXXL are the best I've found when using Clays in cold weather. I get far too many bloopers using the grey AA.
When it gets warmer most any wad seems to work fine. It certainly could be a "Clays" issue and not wads, but as long as the DRXXL work better, that's what I will use.

#23 ·
I use Clays and downrange XXL. I have had issues in cold weather with many (while trying differnt wads) of my 7/8 loads at different times, the DRXXL are the best I've found when using Clays in cold weather. I get far too many bloopers using the grey AA.
When it gets warmer most any wad seems to work fine. It certainly could be a "Clays" issue and not wads, but as long as the DRXXL work better, that's what I will use.

#24 ·
I've been using the 12SO and its copies for years in 1oz and 7/8oz. They work in every kind of case I've picked up. I use the CB copy by the K and have never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.