1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 Oz Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HTSmith, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been using the brand name AA Gray wads in both Remington and Winchester hulls successfully. I would like to try some aftermarket makers to save money. Any suggestions?
    Tim Smith

2. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I used the Downrange Mfg DRXXL Pinks in Rem hulls. No complaints with the wads, just not a fan of 7/8 loads.

Greg

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

+1 for downrange drxxl

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use the claybuster clone of the AA. Can't tell the difference from Winchesters.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Claybuster clone of the winchester or the claybuster lightning (8 petal) have both worked well for me but do leave a lot of wad buildup in my chokes. Cleardusters work well and leave less crap in the barrel. Never liked the DRXXL pink because the thick gas seal was hard on plastic wad guide fingers in MECs, PWs and my Spolar. Breaking fingers in the MEC and PW in about 1000 loads and splitting the guides in the Spolar around the same point.

Will say though the DRXXL pink was the only wad that never blooped in my .800 Stan Baker Big Bore no matter how cold. Which is why I kept using them as long as I had the gun.

--- Chip King ---

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I agree with tripod on CBs AA clone,use them in STSs all the time no trouble, no problem with plastic build-up I do shoot a fixed choke so can't say what may happen with CTs. Did NOT have good luck with DR-XXL kinda red-pinkish colored, no complete duds just some soft to very soft feeling and odd sounding ones, often enough that other shooters would comment. I only load STS or Fed. papers, so I gave them to a friend that loads AAs (new & old style) and he had the same results he just threw them in the trash. Just my experience. Ross Puls

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I use the 7/8 oz for skeet and closer sporting targets in 8.5.

-Tim Smith

8. BD457

BD457 Member

I love 7/8 loads for singles practice with 17.0 clays.

9. Racerx

Racerx Member

I use 7/8 loads for everything !! 27-16 yrd turkey shoots..skeet.. everything:)pending on price I've been using lightings white 7 petal,gray AA made by claybusters and the downrang double xx pink wads but if you can find them cheap but the best value out there are the AA gray wads you can buy at WalWart for 7-8 bucks a bag with 500 count

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have been using the Clay Buster Wad CBO178-12 (which I suppose is what is being referred to as the Winchester clone) with Winchester AA hulls and like it just fine.

I use the 7/8 oz load to save some on shot.

Allen

11. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I love the DRXXL pink wad in Remington hulls for my first shot in doubles. 17.5 grains Promo and 7/8oz of 9's does a number on em.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Have you looked at the new clear Duster 7/8 wad? I switched from Claybusters to blue and green Dusters about 20 years ago. Ended my plastic build up. Recob's has them $22 a case cheaper than the gray Winchesters.

Wayne

13. tj303

tj303 Member

Another vote for clear Dusters. Or use green dusters with 7/8 oz.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Downrange DRXXL pink with 15.5 grains of Extra Lite powder works well.

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

DRXXL-7/8 or DRXL-1 in STS or Nitro Gold hulls are excellent choices. Looking at the Hogdgon load data, the DRXXL require slightly more powder than the XL-1 so should be more cost effective. Setting the crimp station correctly on the MEC solves the crimp step. Great for skeet and 16 yards...use nothing else for these games (8.5 shot), but heavier (1 oz. & 1 1/8) for longer games. Regards, Ed

16. shrek

shrek Active Member

another happy shooter of clear dusters here

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I tried BP Lightning's, and was put off by the bulge in the side of the STS hulls. I'd say they're better suited for Gold Medals, plus they were pricey, and BP made me pay for a reloading booklet. I shoot 'em at sporting clays and think it a good starter load for ladies & children, loaded with #8's. Never tried 'em at 16yd's though. Once they're used up, I'll try Kevin's wads.

best...mike

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

The BP 078 Ligntning is actually the B&P T2 wad and is probably the best wad for the 24gm (7/8) load however the are for the European straight wall case not the tapered case. I have loaded 1000s of these and would today except the price doubled a. Few years back. I now use the Helarco VP05 in the euro trash type hulls with great results.

T

19. bling 27

bling 27 Member

Clear dusters. You will not be dissapointed. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.