1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz. wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perga1, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 7/8 ounce wad suitable for loading Federal GM hulls? TIA, JRM

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I really like the pink downrange wads in 7/8..

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have some claybuster lightning wads that i purchased by mistake and would sell cheap if you are interested. I heard they work very will in GM's

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The Claybuster 12SO copy is a primo 7/8oz wad in just about anything. I use it and 20gr RedDot in Rems, Fiochis, and Feds. Hammers the targets. Just about zero recoil too if that makes any difference.

5. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Ballistic Product's Lightning wad is great.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

The pink Downrange XXL wad is a tapered wad for the AA and Remington hulls.

The Orange Downrange XXL wad is made for the straight wall hulls and work super for 7/8 oz. and seal better in the Federal hulls. More speed with less powder.

Use the orange XXL wads in the Federal GM. The Claybuster 12S0 clone works just as well in that hull too.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I use Clearduster wads. Little more expensive than Claybusters, but not too bad.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I really like Gualandi's Super G H25. It is available at Graf & Sons as their GU1225. The price is not bad at $11.99 per bag of 500 or $10.99 per bag if you buy a case of 5000. It fits the Federal Gold Medal hull when loaded with Clays (16.5 to 17 grains).

Jim Skeel

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I shot with the claybuster 12SO clone (CB2100-12) for a number of years and found it quite good.....Bob Dodd

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

semperfi909, I currently use the 12SO clone in Rems and WW but dropping 18.4 grs. of promo I get a hole in the center of the GM hull with that wad. BTW, 18.4 chronoed at 1300 fps so I don't want to incease the powder drop to take up the space. JRM

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used them in tapered shells at times too, perga1. It seems I did adjust the crimp depth when using them with STS hulls. You shouldn't have to over load the powder but you migh check the weight of the shot you're dropping.....Bob Dodd

Oh, just re-read your last, perga1, yes, with the straight wall hulls (Federal) the wad may get further into the hull and create dished crimps and open holes in the crimp. Consider deepening the crimp depth and still, weigh your shot drop......BD

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

BDodd, the shot drop is a couple of grains +- of 24 grams. Jim

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I use the Winchester WAA12L which is designed specifically for the 7/8 24 gm. load, this is a gray colored wad.

14. skeeljc

You can load 7/8 ounce in a AA with the pink 1 ounce wad and clays. It actually fits better than the grey wad.

Jim Skeel

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim, I keep reading that and I find just the opposite. True that I've got the crimp and all settings just right for the gray wad but have seen nothing but grief when trying the 12 SL or CB's clone. Can you comment further on this conundrum?.....Bob Dodd

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have used about 10,000 of the Ballistic Products 078 Lightning wad for straight wall cases. Best I have found. The wad is about the cheapest component,don't skimp on dollars. The difference is not very great when you figure that it costs at least $5-6 dollars for a round of trap/skeet.

17. skeeljc

Bob, I used to load 7/8 for a fellow shooter when I lived in North Dakota (10 years ago). It was with the old style compression molded AA hull and Clays powder. The more I think about it I even used the Western Orange wad for the loads. I do not recall the amount of Clays but I can look it up in my notebook when I go out to the shop.

I have never been a big fan of lots of wad pressure. Most of the published loads for Clays powder require you to compress the wad to the point where you crush the structure between the shot cup and the base to get it crimped. To me this defeats the purpose of the wad as it cannot act as a cushion when the round is fired. Clays powder takes up a lot of volume compared to most other powders. Take one of your 7/8 ounce loads with Clays and the Grey AA wad and cut a window in the side below the shot cup and you will see how crushed the wad structure is.

In order to make the shorter Winchester wads work you need to load with almost no wad pressure. You just need to seat the wad on the powder. The crimp will provide all the compression needed.

Jim Skeel

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim, I never used the HS AA hulls for loading anything. I DID however, use the old AA and later the STS hulls and both 700X and Clays with none of the dilemmas you mention; weird. I've never had to use wad pressures that would collapse wads for same reasoning you mention. I made sure by using only that pressure that barely made the MEC wad pressure guide move - probably under 10 lbs. Whatever works I reckon. Were you maybe loading these shells for the fellow up into the 1300 fps area or more? Mine have always been in the 1220 to maybe 1240 range and I swear, no problems with the 12L gray wad but deeply dished crimps with the pink 12SL. Another head scratcher......Bob Dodd

19. skeeljc

Bob,

I looked back in my notebook and here is the load:

7/8 ounce of 8's

Winchester AA hull (both compression molded and HS)

Winchester WAA12SL wad (not a claybuster)

16.9 grs. Hodgdon Clays

1200 fps and 7100 lup

This load is from the 2002 Hodgdon manual.

One possibility is you may not be dropping a full 7/8 ounce of shot. I make my own bushings so I can drop a full 7/8 ounce.

Jim Skeel

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No argument, Jim, I'm still not understanding our differences though. I use adjustable bars and weigh my shot charges as well as the powder. Could my drop weigh 7/8 oz more or less and still be wrong? Sure, if the makeup of the lead is short or long in the normal additive to pure lead but I exclusively buy and use NorthWest shot and it's been very consistent in weight testing for many years. One thing I've never suffered to do is to actually count the pellets but I can say that my loads fill the shot cup right to the recommended top of the gray wad. Your load certainly sounds exactly like what I'd put in an STS shell today with the gray wad resulting in a great crimp and appearance. Again, I think we have a curiousity here that probably needs no seriosity, eh? :) It would be fun to get together some time and make comparisons but I think you're quite a bit away from the left coast, eh?.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.