1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 OZ. VS 1 OUNCE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

Folks ,
    What are you shooting -7/8 or 1 ounce.
    I shoot a 32" BT 99 PLUS with an "IMP MOD choke & have been shooting 7/8 -but recently started a Friday night shoot & they shoot starting at 20 yards & eventually back up to 24.
    I'm a real "GREEN " rookie so I was wondering if I should go to a 1 ounce load and a the FULL choke ?
    Normal fodder is REM STS hull-REM 209 primer-18.1 grains of PROMO-7/8 of # 8-Fed.12SO wad or Duster 7/8 clear wad.
    I was just going to change to a 1 ounce wad for 1oz. loads 7 a blue duster wad for 1 1/8 ounce loads. Same pwd charge .
    Thanks for your help.
    BILL

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Everyone knows less is better try 1/2 oz.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I see no harm in following your plan, Bill, except the complication. There's a lot to be said for just arriving with one shell and shooting it. I wonder if that 7 means you plan to switch to 7 1/2's. I wouldn't do that; just stick with the 8's.

But following your plan, as long as you can keep the boxes straight, will work just fine. Remember that you have to be a bit more accurate with any of these lighter shot charges than you would have to be with more pellets. But you will break anything you point at correctly with everything you mentioned.

Neil

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Heck, just shoot it and forget it, no really. I switched to 7/8 to conserve lead I have really not noticed a huge diference in my scores. I did notice though loading 7/8 on the slower side is not so good for my 22y scores. ME, THE LOAD< THE SPEED???. For fun leagues I tend to buy the cheapest shells I can find at 1 1/8 1145 to 1200 fps. The remington 1oz 1290fps game loads are great to. I have found through advice and trial and error. know where your gun is shooting. Stay in the gun, eye on target, follow through and you should hit most anything.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"a huge difference"

How "huge"? One target is one too many.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

We have this agruement at our club in Alaska periodically.

Shooting less shot will cost you targets in the long run. It HAS to. Sooner or later, you're gonna need that one pellet that was the first pellet in the 1/8th of an ounce you didn't load, and you'll dust a target instead of crack it in half.

I cannot, obviously, quantify that. But logic would seem to dictate.

Of course, the flip side is true, as well - shooting 3 dram 1 1/8th ounce all the time, it would seem to me that in the last box of a 500 bird day - or even at our IRONMAN doubles, where we shoot 500 PAIR in one day - that's right, 1,000 shells in about 6 hours - that the recoil would cost you a bird or two.

Which is better I cannot say.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hit, the components you use in your 7/8oz load are first rate. I'd suggest you switch to TGT-12s and Fig-8s for your 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. Down Range Manufacturing clones are OK also. The reason is the fit better, and you will be able make all three rounds without changing the configuration of your reloader.

I do question your decision to stay with the same powder drop for all three loads. That will give you 1250fps for the 7/8oz load, and 1200fp and 1150fps for the others. That much variation in speed just messes me up. If I were going to vary speeds, I'd do it the other way and make the handicap load faster.

The cost of lead is dropping. Pretty soon the cost delta between your 7/8oz and 1oz loads will shrink to nothing, because the cost of the 12S0 wad eats up what you save in lead. I did my very best shooting when I shot 1oz #8 at 1150fps all the time. For big shoots I used 1 1/8oz #8 at 1150fps for handicap.

BTW, I color code my shells so I can keep them straight. I use Rem Gun Club hulls for 7/8oz, green STS for 1oz and gold STS Nitro 27 hulls for 1 1/8oz.

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

34" BT-99 Leos special Stainless,X-full

9. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

oops;;;;7/8 oz

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I made the mistake of buying 50,000 1 oz wads when lead shot up to $40 a bag. I still have over 40k left. I use them for practice. I have used them for registered with 8's. For the "big" shoots I still go with 1 1/8 oz loads.

The 1 oz loads are very comfortable to shoot and seems to perform well at 16 yards.

I will start shooting doubles this year and will probably use them there as well. I like the idea of having one load and not having to remember which load goes in the top barrel. But again, for the important shoots, I will use 1 1/8 oz loads.

The further back you go, the more important it is to have more shot. It depends on your expectations. The good 27 yard shooters I know all use 1 1/8 oz of lead. You may get the occasionally good score with less lead but in the long run your average will suffer. It is not rocket science.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.