1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz trap loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sargon, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

With the cost of shot (along with everything else) sky rocketing I am considering going to 7/8 oz loads. I am not a money shooter so I don't care about the math of it. I tried loading some last night using the down range hot pink wads and they kept hanging up and bending the end of the hull as I inserted them. I was not impressed with them at all. Tried some TGT's and they feed perfectly but the hull was too dished in for my taste.

Can someone share some 7/8 load that they have had success with?

Thanks

Mike

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I like the 7/8s load, both for practice and for 16s and 1st shot of doubles. When I tested my loads they would break targets from the 27 if I was right on.

I use Gold Medal hulls, 16 grns Clays powder, Win. WAA12L wads and Fed 209 Primers, 7/8s shot.

JON

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

P.BigBore's got a good tip for you but here's mine: STS or, in the last century, AAs, Win or Cheddite primer, 16.5 gr. 700X or 17 gr. Clays, WAA 12L gray wad or it's clone from ClayBuster and, in my case, 7/8 oz of 9s (512 pellets). Originally designed for skeet but quite effective at 16 yards (have run hundreds) and first shot of doubles as well as skeet and some close in sporting presentations....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

This is my primary 12 Ga load for practice and skeet. 15gr of 700x, claybuster wads(gray) and fiochi primers. This works good in old AA's(red or gray) and Nitro 27's(I think this is the best hull on the market for reloading.) The added benifit to this load is it doesn't take as great a toll on the hull thereby giving you more reloads per hull. Of course, this is my opinion and experience. Jackie B.

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Remington Hull, Downrange XXL wad, 18 grains of promo. I don't have any trouble with the wads, your press is probably just not set up right for them, as they are much taller than a standard 1 1/8 oz wad.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I load 7/8 oz. w/ 8s or 9s and they will break targets. Shot 23 of 25 from the 24 yd. line yesterday with 7/8s - the misses were my fault...not the load. STS hull, Claybuster WSL clone, Win 209 primer, 16.5 gr. Clays. As a wise poster above noted, reset your "wad pusher" to get better loading experience. Best Regards, Ed

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Forgot to mention...will be changing to Green Duster wads instead of Claybuster WSL clone - soon. Ed

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

One of Hodgdon's published loads that I've loaded and liked...

Remington hull, Remington primer, WAA12L (gray Winchester or clone) and 16.8 grains of Clays.

sissy

9. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

i'm more of a 1 1/8 load person myself

10. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I'm loading on an RCBS Grand and have occasional problems with the XXL hanging up on the mouth of hulls (Rem.). Winchester SL's go through it like spring grass through a cow with the same press setting. I'll likely be seeing gray instead of pink when this case is gone.
    Dave

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

PBB thanks for the suggestion. that has been my problem with these EXCELLENT! wads...

Jim

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Just got back from the range after doing some R & D on Downrange wads. I had some Pink XXL 7/8 loaded in Black beauty hulls pushing 8 shot in front of a Clays powder charge dropped by a Mec 33 bushing in a single stage. Although Mike had told us about the ink balls, it was fun to see them with my own eyes. I took a gun I had never shot before (inspection period time limit) and even though I didn't always do my part, it was smoking those clays. I can't wait to try the same load in the 3901 killer.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thanks a lot MIKE. Now I have to go back to the range tonight!!!! ROFL They sure were purdy.

14. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I had a chance to shoot a new load today. It consisted of gun club hull,19.5 grains of American Select, TGT wad, Win 209 primer and 7/8 oz of mag #8 shot. I shot it from the 20 yard line and ran them. The break were as good as my 1 oz loads. I must admit the recoil was a little more than I thought it would be.

Thanks again for all the feed back.

15. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have loaded some 7/8 oz loads for singles. Federal walmart hull (to keep them separate), 18 grains clays, Gray wad CB clone, Fio Primer. 1200 ish fps. IM from the 16. Does a great job!

Forrest

16. smartass

smartass TS Member

7/8th oz loads are great. They will break any target a 1 1/4 oz load will, just not as many of them. LOL

17. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

My newest pet load I have been shooting for the last 2 months is 7/8 oz of 7 1/2s in a DR XL-1 wad in AA hull with Win primers and 20.5 gr. of solo 1000. Works great and patterns good through my 682 with IM and F chokes.

Mr. Mark

18. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Hold the new pink wad against the wad ram until it engages the hull, works most of the time.

The wad is so long that it will bend over going into the hull. The 28 gaug wads do the same thing.

Take care,

Jim

19. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Been shooting 7/8 for years and wouldn't switch. My load is either an old AA hull (the new ones won't work; the wad is too long), Win 209, 19.3 gr. 700-X (although I'm switching to Clays momentarily), the Baschieri & Pellagri T2 wad (Ballistic Products sells it as the 078 Lightning; Precision has it under the B&P designation and for slightly less) and 7/8 oz. of 8's. I can break 25 regularly, and while I'm still working on my first 50 straight, the problem is not the load, it's the jerk behind the trigger.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

078 lightning wads

1 ounce loads for trapshooting

7 8 oz trap loads

what is the popular grain per shot load for shooting trap