1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***** 7/8 OZ. RELOAD*****

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are looking for pokey loads with just a tad of powder, the Fed hull will not work.

If you want to load Intl' speed loads, with around 20 gr of Red Dot, then you can use the Fed hull and the 12SO wad.

2. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

16gr 700x,gray claybuster wad,and primer of your choice !

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I like Federal/Estate hull with Fed 209A primer, 17.2 grs Red Dot, 12SO Fed wad, and 7/8 oz 8 1/2 or 8s. Adjust your crimp starter down a little and the crimp will look better.

Regards

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As the coach said, those federal/estate hulls have large internal volumes and hard to fill with 7/8 Oz loads. One thing you can do is to put a filler card in the bottom of the F12SO shot cup before putting the wad in the hull. You can make ceap filler cards by punching cardboard circles out with a sharpened piece of .45ACP brass or you can buy them. Kind of a pain in the A-- but it will get you a nice crimp and a very soft shooting load.

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey there,
    A good choice for your filler is to buddy up with your local music store, hopefully they might have a repair shop that fixes trumpets, and have the tech(s) save used valve stem felts. they are the perfect size, and not near the work of punching cardboard. A fella also said a navy bean in the shot cup would work. Haven't tried that one yet. All straight base style hulls are going to need a hot drop of powder to have enough pressure. I think it's the way the powder burns in that style hull. All compression formed (tapered) AA Gun Clubs, etc. will be better to work with b/c of the wad concentrating the powder (better) over the primer flash hole. Good luck. You'll love 7/8 oz. and will not want to go over an ounce load after you shoot 7/8. They are a real challenge back at 27.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The trick is to use a decent amount of a bulky powder. The 12S0 is intended for 1oz loads in the larger volume Federal Hulls. It works as intended with 1oz. You can add a Cheerio or two to take up the slack if you must. Check with Kevin at Downrange, since they make a few wads that may work for you. He could probably suggest a good combination for you. I have very little trouble with 7/8 oz loads, but my preferences do not usually include the Federal hulls. I have loaded them, but use heavier loads of bulky powders. 19 - 20 grains of Red Dot or Promo usually works well, but they may be faster than you'd like. Mike Greenblatt might have a suggestion, since he loads and shoots many thousands of 7/8 oz loads.

7. doc boc

doc boc Member

I'm using 18.5 grains of red dot, winchester 209 primer, winchester grey wads i think they are the 12s wads in a remington sts cases. gives me 1300 fps. recipe probably could be used with winchester cases, doc

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gun Club hull (STS or AA works too), 17.5 of Titewad, 12SO. Best I found yet.

I save the larger hulls for 1 ounce or full size Hcp loads.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.