1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz recipe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I am just starting to reload so I have some flexibility in chosing components.
    My objective is to come up with a 7/8 ounce load that can be used with #8 for 16 yard and #9 for skeet in 12 gauge and closer targets in SC. I would like to get 1200 fps. I would like to get recoil down a bit from the current 1 1/8 Rios I have been using.

The only "fixed" component is old style 1 piece AA hulls; I have a thousand or so.

The cost of components is not the main issue (although cheaper is welcome), what I really want to know is what is the best primer/powder/wad combination you have found in terms of reloading ease, consistent performance and reliability in all weather (shooting gets cold in NJ).

I will be certain to check all loads against the manuals. Thanks much!

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sent you a private message.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jerseyshooter I use 7/8 oz of #9s for all those duties you suggest and that makes the loading easier than changing shot size. There's nothing wrong with the 8s either but for all those close-in shots including close rabbits on the Sporting course, the 9s work and provide a whole lot more pellets (512). A long time recipe I used for what you describe was old type AA hulls and, later, Rem STS hulls, 16.5 to 17 grains of 700X or more lately 17 gr. of Clays or Clay Dot, Winchester 12L wad or the CB clone, Winchester or Cheddite primers, and in the past, I tested these loads beyond anal with an Oehler 35P chronograph finding 1200 to 1220 fps as typical. Early on I've used the Federal 12SO or the CB clone wad with good results and even better with the Down Range pink XXL wad. 7/8 oz of 9s are responsible for most of my several 100s at the 16 yard line....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For the AA hull, I like 16.0 g 700x, a DownRange XXL (pink) wad, and a Winchester 209 primer. The only fly in the ointment is finding 700x these days. But I can tell you this load is very low recoil and it smokes targets. I don't know how the load works in really cold weather but I have used it in 25-30 degree weather for quail with zero problems.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Jerseyshooter

Forgot to mention the recipe I gave you is straight from the Winchester loading manual, which now replicated by Hodgon.

The only problem I have encountered with this load is it lacks enough strength to cycle the action on most auto loaders and might have to be confined to a break open or shell shucker. The only auto loader I have fired this load in that will lock the bolt back after firing is a Winchester SX2. You might have to go to the higher loading for an autoloader which calls for 23.5 grains of WST, but it produces 1400 fps velocity and 8200 lbs of psi. What I gave you the first time, the book says that 22 grains produces 1325 fps with 7900 lbs of psi.

You can visit both Alliant and Hodgdon online for many 7/8 oz loadings if you do not favor Winchester powder.

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Jersey, I started loading a similar load using Remington gun club hulls.

My load is 20.5 grains of PB, a claybuster target 12 copy and Remington 209 primer, 7/8 ounce of 9s. The recoil is like a 28 gauge and they chrono at 1172 fps.

I would think in a straight wall older AA you could use a WAA12SL or Federal 12S03 copy wad, 20.5 grains of PB and a Winchester or Federal primer and get the 1200 fps you are looking for.

Good luck, John E.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've experimented with 7/8 ounce loads, but decided against them. However, if I were to decide to shoot 7/8 ounce loads, this is the best load I found, and what I would use.

Remington Gun Club, STS, or Nitro hulls <br>
    Winchester 209 primer <br>
    16.8 grains of Hodgdon CLAYS powder <br>
    Federal 12S0 Wad <br>
    7/8 ounces of shot <br>

8. oz

oz Active Member

try hodgdons.com they have a lot of info on everything that is reloaded.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

www.hodgdon.com or www.alliantpowder.com. You should be able to find something suitable at either site. Try 8 1/2's and don't bother to switch. Works for BOTH disciplines. Clays, E3, Clay Dot, N100, Titewad, Red Dot, Promo, and a host of other powders work rather well for the 7/8 oz at reasonable velocities. There are a lot of decent wads to choose from. I have had good results with the Federal 12S0. The Winchester AA12L gray wad works well at shorter yardages and reasobable velocities. If you are looking for a VERY light load, take a look at the WAALite powder. Just keep the pressures under 10K or so and you should be good to go with it.

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I'm using around 17.5 grains Titewad, #9s (or whatever shot you like), the Down Range pink XXL wad, and Winchester AAs or Remington Nitro hulls with a W209 primer. Nice little load. Jennifer

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I like the Alliant Load using Red Dot at 1200 fps.

Charlie

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I load 16.5-17 grs of Promo. Claybuster 7/8-1oz wad cheddite primer. Will do all you need and soft shooter. Jake

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I shoot a load with the B&P T2 wad (Ballistic Products' 078 Lightning) that goes into either STS or old-style AAs that came straight out of B-P's manual. It's not a 1200 fps load; it runs more like 1325 or so. But you might want to consider a faster load. Most of your recoil impulse, I believe, is going to be the result of the shot load, and dropping the shot load by a quarter-ounce is likely to reduce felt recoil by a lot more than upping your velocity will add to it.

And it works just fine with #8 for both trap and skeet. I use it for everything without any change, and I use #8 for all my loads in 12, 20 and 28. The only time I use #9 shot is in .410.

Tony

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Try the Winchester AA-Lite powder at 14.5 grs and the gray claybuster wad for 7/8 oz. I have shot alot of 98 scores in singles with it.No recoil

15. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I use 17.0 grains of Promo, Downrange XXL (pink) wad, AA or Remington STS hull, Wolf Primer. I did use a Nobelsport primer in this also. Great load for 16 yd. line, skeet, & I always carry a box or two with me on the Sporting Clays courses. Shoot all day & no heavy recoil. Colonel

16. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Thanks all. Looks like plenty of good information. good point about 8 or 8.5 size being fine for skeet or 16 yards...saves a lot of hassle. Regards to all. Jerseyshooter

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Anyone have a good recipe using Nitro 100 for a 7/8 ounce load. Loading the PB, while soft as can be, is a little pricey.

John E.

18. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

16 gr of Nitro100 under CB4100 wads works perfect for Skeet and 1st Doubles shot. 16.5 in A-A hulls, and 17 gr in Rem hulls is great for everything else!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.