1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz recipe with claydot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sxs28ga, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

use the same as 1oz load they'll be a tad faster -
    JM

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Here is the page in the Hodgdon Load Data that contains the Clays formulas for 7/8 loads. Clay Dot can be substituted for Clays measure-for-measure and weight-for-weight.

Mike

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

for what it's worth I've loaded 17.5 gr claydot, the downrange 7/8 wad rio primers in AA cases...oh, and 7/8 oz of shot...

Jim

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When I purchased my first can of Claydot, I asked for a reloading manual. The supplier said the formulas were on the jug, and they were, but they are very limited. He said I could follow Reddot formulas. I have not heard from anyone that it is interchangible w/ Clays. Could some one please confirm, with backup, before there is a problem?

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Setterman,

Below is the text of a letter posted on this forum by Paul Furrier, Technical Manager of Alliant Powders, in which he states that Clay Dot and Clays can be loaded the same. The original issue was an apparent difference in velocities for the formulas on the powder jug between what was published on the jug and those measured by a reloader. These were determined to be caused by the difference in the type of chronographs being used.

If you want more verification, call Alliant Powder and ask for or leave a message for either Paul or Ben Ammonette regarding your concerns.

(The emphases in the quotation are mine.)

<blockquote>"Trap Discussion Threads
    <br>From: Alliant Reloading<br>Email: Date: 15-Jun-06

It seems we have a couple of issues here, charging of Clay Dot(TM) and velocity relative to expectations. We have had nothing but excellent feedback on this product, so I'm not really sure what is happening here, but I will tell you what I know. Dan682, please contact us at 800/276-9337 to discuss your specifics.

<I>Regarding charging of Clay Dot, our testing has shown our product to charge the same on average, and more uniformly than Hodgdon Clays. We use a test apparatus in our lab that is a pneumatically actuated MED type charging device with a fixed bushing. This standardizes the vibration during the test, and minimizes operator error. We tested 11 random lots of Clays product, and our apparatus yielded 18.68gr average charge. The average range of 10 individuals for each of the 11 Clays lots was 0.42gr, and the average standard deviation (square root of the average variance) was 0.13gr. For the first 8 production lots of Clay Dot, the same averages were: 18.66gr, 0.32gr and 0.11gr.</I>

The 100-150fps velocity difference mentioned above is puzzling also, again given our measurements and the uniformly excellent feedback we have recieved thusfar. Having said that, there are sources of error that can possibly explain some of the difference. 1. Our test set-up is a 30" full choke barrel, with inductance coils located 1.5' in front of the barrel and separated by 3'. We also correct all of our loading recommendations with SAAMI reference ammunition. We often see 30-50fps differences with a screen set-up, depending on the barrel length and choke used. 2. We measure our loads with weighed shot charges, while handloaders often charge less shot weight than they think due to the lower density of target grade hard shot. I usually obtain 1-1/16oz out of std 1-1/8oz bushings/bars with magnum shot. This would also lead to higher than intended velocity. 3. Clays powder has a propensity to absorb moisture quite readily due to it's hygroscopic nature. When the powder absorbs moisture, pressure and velocity drop substantially, so that may explain why the Clay Dot loads feel more sharp (higher velocity).

Mr. Holloway, please have your friend call us at the above number. Ben does not recall speaking with him, and we would certainly like to deal with his details.

Thanks to all who are using our Clay Dot or any of our other American made shotshell powders. We truly appreciate your business.

Paul Furrier"</blockquote>

Mike

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I just finished up my first and last 8 lb jug of Clay Dot. I am switching over to Clays. I find that using my RCBS Digital scale, the drops of powder can vary sometimes as much as 0.80 grains. Just to make sure it wasnt the scale, I tested some Win. Super Target powder. The difference in drops was a mere 0.10 grains. To me, that is a big difference. I really liked the clay dot until I did some testing..... And by the way, everyone that I have talked to said to load it like Clays.

Forrest

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I use 18gr. of Claydot, Fiocchi 616 primers, AA hulls, Glaybuster CB0178-12 replacement wads for Win. WAA12L and 8.5 shot size. Book say's about 1250 fps.
    I have a real hard time telling the difference on performance over my 1oz. loads.

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've been using Clay Dot ever since it hit the market. I load with a non-hydraulic P-W 900 and have never seen a deviation in drops as large as .8 grns. I generally drop 17 to 18 grain charges and deviations of less than .2 grns. are the norm.

Mike

9. BigM-Perazzi

jbmi, Where can I get some of those <bold>Glaybuster</bold> wads...lol

Jim

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

OK, Jim, here's where it stands...

I sent an email to Alliant and got a reply from Ben Amonette, their Consumer Services Manager.

Here is my email to them...

<blockquote><I>"-----Original Message-----<br>
    Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:07 PM<br>
    To: Alliant Reloading<br>
    Subject: Clays and Clay Dot reloading formulas

I've been using Clay Dot for years and have had a number of
    discussions about it with other reloaders. Those who don't
    use Clay Dot are suspicious of the contention that Clay Dot can be
    substituted for Clays weight-for-weight and measure-for-measure. They
    point out that Alliant has published very little reloading data for Clay
    Dot (other than what's on the jug) that would back up that claim. I've
    always been using Clays loading formulas for my Clay Dot reloads but
    they have me wondering whether I should be doing that.

Can you give me some direction in this, please?

Best regards,

Mike </I></blockquote>

...and here is the reply I received:

<blockquote><I>" Clay Dot is a continuation of our dot series, hence the clay color ID
    grain. It is made here in VA at our plant, whereas Clays is imported
    from Australia by Hodgdon. They are not the same powder. However, Clay
    Dot is designed to be functionally the same as Hodgdon Clays both in
    terms of reloading data and performance. We have not tried all Clays
    recipes with our Clay Dot, but the ones we have tried have worked out
    very well. The benefits to Clay Dot are that it is very clean, American
    made, more consistent that Clays throughout the temperature range, and
    it cost less. Typically, if someone has their machine set up for
    Hodgdon Clays, no adjustments are necessary when converting to Clay Dot.

Thanks for your note and I hope you have enjoyed and will continue using
    Clay Dot. Let me know if you have any additional comments or questions.
    Until then, good shooting and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette<br>
    Consumer Service Manager<br>
    Alliant Powder Company<br>
    www.alliantpowder.com"</i></blockquote>

You can interpret Ben's reply anyway you feel comfortable. As for me, I've used the powder for long enough and I've had enough phone conversations and face-to-face discussions with Alliant's people to feel safe and satisfied that their product does what they claim.

Mike

11. Mac V

Mac V Guest

12. BigM-Perazzi

Mac, I for one am satisfied with that knowledge and have continued to safely load ClayDot powders....

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claydot from alliant