1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz recipe needed for 700x

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's been many many years since I loaded 7/8oz loads and I can't remember what powder bushing/grains of powder that I needed to get me to 1200fps. I use only STS hulls and Winchester gray wads. Since I'm back to an O/U, I will be shooting a lot of 7/8oz and 1oz loads.

Any help??

Jb

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I shoot with a guy on Thursday nights who uses nothing but 700x and he recently went to a 7/8oz load - he's hitting them hard, so whatever combo he's using is working well. I'll check with him tonight and see what he's put together.

Rich

3. Tron

Thanks Rich, that would be appreciated!

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am using a #27 bushing in my Mec loader that drops 16.3 or 16.4 grains of 700X. I mistakenly took a box of 7/8 oz loaded with reclaim shot along to my first registered shoot ( I usually load 1 ounce 8 1/2's for 16's), and promptly smacked all 25 on that trap with them. You will love the results.
    Tripod

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

Tron, my Mec 28 bushing throws 16.3gr which will put you at 1200-1225. As shown by Tripod's post above, be sure to check on your balance/scale. This load is fairly dirty and 700X is probably not the most efficient powder for this application, but I've got a bunch of it, so it's what I use.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Used 700X for many years, 15&1\2 gr 700X, Rem hull, various mild primers, TGT wad, 7\8 oz. #8 gave me approx. 1150fps over crony. This load does give me a "hot" center core through a fixed full in a Rem 31 TC so you may have to lighten up a little on choke. Many other recipes are published under the 24gm data. Pressures are fairly low so you could probably use a hotter primer, I don't notice too much difference in unburned residue in the bbl. 1 pass with an oily rag & it's gone for me. As per above I think you'll like it. Don't know what loader you're using so you will have to weigh a few drops to find the bushing that works for YOU. Ross Puls

7. Tron

Thanks everyone!!

Jb

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I use 16.5 grains of Clays, but I am using the fig 8 1 oz wad, and I still get a nice full crimp without dishing and they really do a job on 16's and 1st doubles shot.

Nice thing about Clays is it burns very clean, unlike 700X

I also use the Claybusters clone wad of the figure 8.

Not what you need for Winchester wad, but wanted to give you some imput.

"By the book" at the Hodgdon web site,

Using Clays with your components, you need 16.8 grains for 1200 fps using the Remington 209 primer and 15.9 using the Win 209 primer, for the same 1200 fps.

According to MEC, bushing 30 will get you 16.7 grains of Clays and bushing 28 will get you 15.6 grains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec bushing for 700 x