1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz Promo Load ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

My Alliant powder book doesn't give a 7/8th oz. load using Promo powder. I'll be using Remington STS shells, Win 209 primers, and Claybuster 7/8 oz wad.

I'm loading on a Mec Grabber. How many grains of powder and what bushing ? I'd like to shoot 1200 fps.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

"Seems" to load like red dot but by weight; your bushing will vary.

17.2 to 17.8 with 7/8 oz

Gun clubs and CB1100 get me 1186 fps

regards

"seems" means an approximation since it isn't exactly red dot but it does have red dot speed per Alliant

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have been shooting your load with 16.5 grs of Promo and they are smokers. 16s and 1st shot of dbls. try it, you'll like it. Jake

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Strongly suggest you call Alliant. Be reminded that Promo density may vary from can to can such that your bushing may need to be changed when you go from one can to the next to stick to X grains. I believe Alliant also suggests you gently shake the can before you refill your powder bottle. Experience with Promo, STS/Nitro hulls, W209 primers, CB1100 wads and MEC9000E limited to 1oz loads. Chichay

5. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

All I use is promo ,follow red dot load spec's but do your self a favor shake it up before using and when storing it flip it every so often . No problems with it so far

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Same as j2jake, good load check each new 8# jug with a good scale as Promo does very in density I have had to go up or down 2 bushing sizes to maintain correct weight. Also 'ROLL" the jug around a few times to help remix just in case it settled in shipment. Ross Puls

7. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

16.5 is what i load and you can get the load data off their web site,their new book has a lot more loads for promo(2012 edition).I have noticed very little change from one keg to another,but I always check even throughout a keg.Hope this helps Mike

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

A tad more powder and it will burn cleaner, less smoke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.