1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz or 24 gram using Titegroup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I remember reading on here a while back about someone loading Titegroup for 7/8oz / 24 gram shells. If you don't mind sharing this info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ec90t

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t

I see lots of data in the Hodgdon manual on 7/8 ounce loads with Titewad, but nothing with Titegroup.

Tim

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tim,

That's the problem. I made a call into Hodgdon for this data and all I got was the usual PC statement. It was basically stated that they wern't going to spend the time to test Titegroup for this kind of load. I'm trying to simplify things down to just 2 powders for all my 12 ga needs.

ec90t

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've used 19 gr for 7/8oz loads, but I'd much rather use 17 gr of Nitro100!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm thinking due to the density of TG you may have a fit problem. As it is TG works mostly with wads for a lesser shot charge, E.G. using TGT for 1 & 1/8 loads.

Use Titewad. Also the lighter shot charge may not give enough back pressure to burn TG well.

I use both TG and TW, for these reasons.

HM

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

19 gr Titegroup, WAA12L wad, AA hull and Cheddite primer will work well.

This is a very clean burning load. I cannot understand why Hodgdon will not take a little time for this load. There are many folks shooting 24 gram loads, both in Intl' disciplines and domestic shooting chores.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach,

Have you pressure/velocity tested this load?

Curious how it measures.

Also, why Titegroup vs. Titewad or Clays? Also, just curious.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Shooting Coach,

That's the recipe I was looking for. I thought that it was you that posted this before.

I may also contact Kevin at Down Range and see if they had done any testing as well.

Rev,

Got the manual on my bench. If you read my original post, you'll see why I'm looking for this info.

Thanks all!

ec90t

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t

Might be worthwhile to send 5 of those to Kevin to test them, if they haven't already.

Its only $25.00

Tim

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tim,

Thanks! I'll call Kevin and make arrangements. I didn't realize they provided this service.

ec90t

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I use Titegroup in my Dillon 1050 for 38 Spl, 9X19 and 45 Auto loads. It was natural to want to check it for some shotshell loads.

20 gr with the same basic components is listed for 28 gram loads. Dropping to 24 grams of shot and one grain less powder seemed a logical thing to do.

I have not chrono'd this load. It seems similar in performance to other Bunker Loads I have shot.

I have swapped over to Claydot, and when my supply of REX I and Solo 1000 are gone, I will use it exclusively. I do not load high velocity 1 1/8 ouncers, so Claydot will work well for me. I load mainly Riefenhauser style hulls, which like bulky powders.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t

Make sure you don't try to send the shells US Postal Service. UPS does it though.

If you talk to him, remind him he still needs to test those shells I sent him 3 weeks ago...

13. jackw

jackw Member

I have used TG for a couple years for my 1 1/8 oz loads. I load in STS hulls with 17.3 gr. and use the CB 1oz. wad. Makes a great load. I tried to us the same load with 7/8 oz. loads with the CB-4100-B lightning wad and the load hits the targets very well and the load patterns well. The problem is that it looks like I have a lot of flash coming out of my barrel almost like fireworks not one big flame as I have noticed with some loads but small burning dots. I only shot about 5 of these loads. I think that HM hit it right there doesn't seem to be enough back pressure with the light 7/8 load for TG to burn properly. I will contact Hodgdon to get their manual. I would like to stay with 1 powder for both 1 1/8 and 7/8 loads. Thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.