1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What hull?

What wad?

What primer?

You do know that Alliant has a website with this information on it?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just enough to get it to 1200 FT and please stop shouting, it's rude.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

reddottm1

"timb99 all the above. just want an answer not 3 questions.."

Well it is obvious you haven't a clue so I have provided a website address with information. At the top of the page there are different categories you want to try "Ask The Experts"

When you try to get information about how much powder to use under Reloader's Guide you will find that the first decision you will have to make after the amount of shot is what shell you will use. Then you might understand timb99's questions!!! You might even learn how to count them.

Bob Lawless

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Anywhere from 16.5 to 19.5 grains in a Winchester AA hull. Primer and wad selection will be the deciding factor on how much to use. HMB

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7/8 1,200 Fed 209A Red Dot CB 0178 17.5 6,028

and, what Timb99 said...!!

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

reddottm1

I was not trying to be a smart alec. The questions I posed are crucial to getting the right answer to what you asked.

As a reloader, you need to know first, what shell am I going to use? Different shells have different internal volumes and configurations, which affects the answer.

Remington STS, Gun Club, and Nitro 27 are tapered hulls, and are best served using a wad that is made for tapered hulls.

Winchester AA are also tapered hulls, and are similar, though not identical to the Remington hulls I mentioned.

Federal, Estate, Fiocchi, and some other hulls are straight-walled hulls, and and are best served using a wad that is made for straight-walled hulls.

You can certainly use tapered wads with straight hulls, and straight wads with tapered hulls, however.

Some hulls are well suited for reloading, while others are not. Many folks, including myself, prefer the Remington hulls. Others like Winchester, others Federal Gold Medal. There is no right answer.

Next, primers are not all the same. Using a Remington primer will give you a different answer than using a Federal Primer or a Winchester primer.

Finally, the type of wad you choose affects the answer as well. There are a myriad of wads to choose from, some better suited than others to do the job you are asking.

You need to answer these questions first, before anyone can give you an answer to the question you posed.

May I suggest buying a couple reloading books, such as Lyman's (and others), before you start reloading. If you're already reloading, I still suggest you read these books before reloading any more.

For example, using Remington hulls, Remington primers, and a Downrange XXL Pink wad, you would need 16.5 grains of Red Dot to get 7/8 ounces of shot going 1200 fps.

Using Winchester AA hulls, Winchester primers, and a Downrange XXL Pink wad, you would also need 16.5 grains of Red Dot to get 7/8 ounces of shot going 1200 fps.

Using Federal Gold Medal hulls, Federal primers, and a a Purple PC wad, you would need 17 grains of Red Dot to get 7/8 ounces of shot going 1200 fps, but, the pressure is very low, and performance may be inconsistent with this combination.

But you won't know any of this unless you do a little research first.

7. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

SORRY TIMB99, I WAS HAVING A BAD DAY.........THANKS FOR THE INQUIRY.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

We figured as much... and fix that caplock problem....

;-)

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Timb, I don't see a purple PC wad on the DR website, do you mean the purple Jammer XL1?

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No sweat.

Good luck.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

jhoward,

I was just making up an example, looking at the Alliant data book you can download from their website in pdf format.

It has Purple PC listed.

Honestly don't know if this wad is really available or not.

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

Ahh...no worries.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Lead Shot 12 7/8 oz. Clays CCI 209 Rem. TGT 12 17.3 9,400 PSI 1250 My favorite load......also switching up to 1oz requires no change, except a little final crimp.

14. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

Reddottm1,

For example, using Remington hulls, Remington primers, and a Downrange XXL Pink wad, you would need 16.5 grains of Red Dot to get 7/8 ounces of shot going 1200 fps.

Many do not or like to post their loads, I do not post them often,,,, Because you need to "WEIGHT" each different load with a good set of scales.

One of my best loads is close to the above load:
    Rem. STS or Nitro Gold hull
    Rem. 209 primer ( have used Fic 616/Noble Sport 209)
    17.2 grs. Red Dot
    Down Range XXL78 Pink Wad
    7/8 oz. #8 shot

this load shoots well and has a good pattern from my gun, which might be different in others, all shoot & pattern different....

hope this helps,

RickyI

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

cp, believe me, I in no way intended for my message to be taken the way you did. I thought I was saying something completely different. Another example of the "Its easy to forget that you are responding to a person who can't see your face, hear your tone of voice, or judge your mood." warning below. I've taken off my message and regret the misunderstanding.

Neil

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

cp

"You made a stupid statement. There are entirely to many guns coming apart due to poor reloading. That is what I was referring to at."

As far as "You made a stupid statement" is concerned that is between you and Neil. As far as the "entirely to many guns coming apart" is concerned that is the reason that when someone wants advice they should be referred to the proper reloaders website. Where they can chose the the proper components to use from the published loads by the manufacturer.

Half of the loads that are given in these threads can not be found on the proper sites.

BTW if the person asking for advice shows a know it all attitude he get what he deserve. When asking look at a ten dollar bill and accommodated it is considered poor manners to demand a new one instead of the one you were given.

Bob Lawless

Bob Lawless

17. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

There is alot of talk about 7/8 ounce loads. Here is my question. If 7/8 ounce loads appear to be the "load of choice" for shooters, then why wouldn't a shooter choose to use a standard 20 gauge 7/8 ounce load for trap?

My current skill level requires at least an ounce or better yet an ounce and one eighth of shot for trap.

This post is not meant to "stir the pot", or to "troll", it is in my mind just a legitimate question that I feel that our more experienced or skilled shooters may have the answer to.

Thanks

Dave

18. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

DBART,

I'll take a stab at this one.....

Why do they overbore barrels such as taking a 12 ga to the bore of a 10 ga? Because it patterns better.

Same way with 20ga and 12 ga bores. Same shot load with same choke will pattern better out of the larger bore.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.....

I for one am very satisfied with the 24gm load advice I received on TS.com last year and when I received the advice I offered nothing but thanks to the contributors. But this is how I was raised.........

Mr. Mark

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I will chime in on the 7/8.....my only reason for switching was to conserve lead when prices skyrocketed. Here in massachusetts in my area it was hard enough to find lead shot before the prices climbed up. until thanksgiving last year BassPro had lead on Sale for 69.95/25. I did my best to conserve the lead I have by loading 7/8oz. I will say with out a doubt. I will load and shoot 1 1/8oz for all ATA events. 7/8oz for fun, practice, 5 stand, sporting ect ect.

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The difference between 7/8 oz loads in the 12 and 20 ga is the aspect ratio of the shell. The amount of shot around the circumference of the shell is less in the 12 and you may get less distortion from barrel wall contact.

I asked the same question regarding International a few years ago and the coach said they simply got better scores with the 12. How many top level shooters tried the 20? I have no idea.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.