1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz loads with green duster?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LeesburgGamecock, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeesburgGamecock

LeesburgGamecock TS Member

Any of you guys have good luck with 12 guage 7/8 oz loads with the green duster? I have both STS and AA cases available, and Clays powder. I have a bunch of green dusters laying around, and I know some guys load them 7/8 oz. Do you have a load that works well with that combo? I about hit the floor when I returned to shooting after a couple of year layoff and saw the price of lead. I last paid $12 a bag, and laughed like crazy when I went to bass Pro and they had it for $40. I thought they were smoking crack. Little did I know that was now essentially market price. Time to cut back to a 7/8 oz load.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend using the gray winchester wad for 7/8 ounce loads.

I tried with the pink WAA12SL's (which are similar to green duster's) and never got a good crimp.

Just my opinion.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Green Duster and Puffed Rice?

4. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

The pink downrange 7/8 wad works great. I load them in gun clubs and AAs.

5. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I use 1 oz Win pink wads to load 7/8 oz of shot in Win AA HS hulls with Clays powder and it works fine. Just barely seat the wad on the powder, no wad pressure. On my Mec Grabber I also raise the crimp adjustment a 1/2 a turn. With the Remington STS hulls I don't use the 1 oz wads for 7/8 oz loads because they have so much more space in them.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have had good luck with green duster wads in 1 oz loads. Not tried 7/8 yet.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I just use the wad that was intended for the load. In this case it would be the WAA12L gray or clone. I had poor crimps when using the Green Duster for lesser shot charges. It might work with a bulkier powder, but I'll stick to published data, tried and true. Some say a Cherio or Puffed Rice kernel works well on top to take up the space. I think that's too much trouble.

8. tbuster

tbuster Member

I have been using the grey Winchester for 7/8 oz. loads with Clays powder for my first shot in doubles and they seem to be very effective. I have shot some sixteen yard targets with them and they seem to perform there fine.

9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

Clays powder is bulky so the 1 oz wads work fine in the Winchester AA HS hulls for 7/8 oz loads. Check Hodgdon's loading data for Win AA hulls with 7/8 oz loads, over half the 7/8 oz loads listed are with 1 oz wads.

10. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Green Duster wads are designed for a 1 oz load and work exceptionally well for that application in tapered wall hulls but for 7/8 oz loads they resulted in the 3 P's for me. Poor crimp, poor pressures and poor performance when I tried them in the mentioned 7/8 oz applications.

If you're set on using a wad just because there is a recipe that list them, my advice is not to buy a “whole lot” of them until you have proved that they work for you the way you want them to but then again it's your money and I'm not trying to sell anything on this thread but there are those that are, so buyer beware!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cherio shot gun load

green duster loading datat

green duster reloading data