1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz loads with an 800-B loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a problem with seating the wad? I think I need a spacer inside the wad ram to keep it from pressing the wad down to soon.I was told these loaders were designed at the factory for 1 1/8 oz loads so maybe the 7/8 oz is more of a problem?

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

PJ,

You are correct. Place a washer of the right thickness under the head of the wad ram. That will keep the wad from being compressed when it is inserted. Ideally that washer/shim's OD should be no larger than the ID of the housing. That will allow the housing to bottom completely and the set screw will be less likely to "booger" it up.

You can do the same for 1 oz. loads also.

Remember to back off the adjusting screw on the wad ram housing before you loosen the set screw.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. poacherjoe

Thanks locdoc, I am looking for some tubing that has the right ID and OD to cut and make the shim.I took the wad pressure plug out and reseated the entire assembly higher and this helped but the wad ram just needs to be up higher!

Has PW addressed this with the newer loaders like the 800+ or is the wad ram setup the same?The 7/8oz load will become much more popular when people realize that 7/8 of say #9 shot will save money reloading and still break 100 from the 16.

4. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Poacherjoe, I used a regular water hose rubber washer. It's the rite size and works just fine. Hope this helps. George

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It's been so long since I made this modification on my 12 gauge 800B, I don't remember how I did it. However, I had to make similar modifications on my 800B .410 loaders also. Things have changed since the days of the 800B and you have to do what you have to do. Don't expect too much help from the factory. It's easier to figure it out yourself. We're just lucky we haven't had to trash these great loaders for new ones.

6. poacherjoe

OK here's the fix! I took the wad ram assembly out thru the top of the loader . Then I got a 1/2" copper coupling and sweated one end to a short piece of pipe to hold it in place while I cut a 3/8" long piece off the end of the coupling and slid it up under the wad ram and put everything back together.This holds the ram up high enough.

Now the wad is seated properly and no more crushing of the hulls,Hope this can help another old 800B user!I have 4 of them now so this one is designated for the 7/8 oz loads.PJ

7. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have no problems at all with mine ,I use the gray claybuster wad.

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

PJ,

The 900's, 950's, LS 1000, Platinum 2000 and 800+ all have a threaded wad ram so adjustments are infinite and quick.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.