1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz loads I'am sold!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tekyn gold, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

17.0 clays, claybuster lightings 7/8oz of 8 shot AA hulls 209 win primers.
    98 out of 100 first time out with them

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I use 21 gr Rex I with Riefenhauser hulls, 12SO wads and the same shot charge. This load is LIGHTNING on birds back to the 27. Very little recoil. Use a tight choke.

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You still missed two.

5. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

Who carries REX powders in Michigan??

6. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

Who carries Rex powder in Michigan??

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I was sold when I tried that load a couple of months ago. I'm glad it worked for you. No one needs anything more than 7/8's at the 16.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife broke a nice 50 straight with 3/4oz. 28 GA shells in a tubed K-80!!

9. bling 27

bling 27 Member

That is a great load, but you can take it back past the 16, just for the fun of it , take it back to 27 it will do better than you think!

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You don't put 2 bullets in your 6 shooter and go to a gun fight.

Don

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Yup you take them 7/8 oz of #9......now you got yourself a real wiener there........see ya at the Grand.........oop's......maybe.....NOT

GS

12. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Doesn't Harlan beat a whole lot of guys who use 1 1/8 ounce loads? Skill always seems to carry an advantage, which is really a bummer to those trying to compensate for a lack thereof. Harlan and the likes would wax the pants off a lot of shooters if they used 7/8's ounce loads and the other guys used 1 1/2 ounce loads. The winner of a gun fight isn't the guy with the biggest gun, it's the guy who hits what he shoots at. Some will hit more with 7/8's loads because of the reduced recoil allowing them to keep their faces on the stock for the required period of time. It's ok if they like to shoot them. Really.
    Dave

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why not 3/4 ounce? Or maybe 5/8.

14. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

As a matter of fact, I shoot 3/4 ounce loads. I love 'em. Recoil, what there is of it, is very tolerable, even if you have to put up with arthritis, which I do, and can't begin to tolerate the recoil from 1 1/8 ounce loads, which I can't. I have no plans to beat Harlan, but I do plan on enjoying the all the shooting I can. I know that having fun isn't tolerated well by some, but for many of us, it is the very reason we shoot. That gives us a certain latitude in our approach that sure seems to rile some folks.
    Dave

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Seriously, use what you want and what works for you BUT quit trying to change the rest of the world. Those who choose to use what is permited shouldn't have to come down to your level. Peace and harmony.

Shoot, shoot well and shoot often.

Don

16. randy-s

randy-s Member

21 grains of REX I should be pushing a 7/8 oz. load LIGHTNING fast!

17. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

I shoot nothing but 7/8 oz. from the 16 and that's all you need. There's no sense in having the recoil when you don't need it. In fact, I used to shoot decently with 7/8 oz. from the 27 yard line. It's all in your confidence level.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BIGDON: I don't think anyone is trying to change what load anyone uses. However, the cost of lead may have a bearing on how much lead is used. I never considered 7/8's prior to the cost of lead going so high. Then, when I tried it, it worked great. I think a lot of other shooters are finding out the same thing. Most people couldn't beat the big dogs if they were allowed to shoot 3 7/8's loads, anyway. So, why not save a few $$$, and shoot a little more?

19. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Yep, run the numbers through the Reloading cost calculator.. $3.60 a box !Without the hull, and shot at $35 a bag.

And that's with W209 primers at $129/5000

Bill

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Anyone who has shot many 1 or 7/8 oz. loads knows how effective they are. Having said that, I would be very surprised if any of the All American trapshooters used loads less than the allowed 1 1/8 for anything. But if the sport mandated 7/8 or 1 oz. loads then everyone would obviously shoot them. The same guys would win. And, I don't think the averages would go down much. (Then of course we could always make the targets even easier. Oh wait, that is another thread.) Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.