1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz loads from 16 yds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hubcap, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Due to the fact that the registered shoots are over for me this year and the price of shot is higher than a cats back I'm going to shoot 7/8 oz loads the rest of the year at the weekly club shoots.

I shot 3 rounds with 7/8 oz loads this week and broke every target.

hubcap

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

You would probably be highly surprised that with the right load and such that they would also do the job all the way back to the 27 ... even though there will be many that will say otherwise because they do not have the confidence in there own shooting to be able to hit the target with 7/8oz of shot.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

They will break 27 yard targets but a 1 1/8 oz load has some holes in a 30 inch pattern that are large enough for a target to slip through. A 7/8 oz load must have more and larger holes.

Pat Ireland

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Tron - I wasn't looking for accolades, I was simply pointing out that 7/8 oz loads seem to be effective from the 16 yd line.

BTW - I was using 8's.

hubcap

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... if your a good shooter you can choke that pattern down and reduce the chance of holes and ... well ... this is where it becomes shooter and not the load that breaks the target.

Yep ... without any question at all some should stick with the 1-1/8oz load.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try some 8.5's in a 7/8 (1150fps)load from the 16. They will turn a target to smoke. No recoil and less cost. That's all I use now on the 16.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

7/8 oz @ 1235 fps is my load, since powder is cheaper then lead. Tron got me shooting 7/8's some years ago for practice and have been shooting them in registered ever since.

Jerbear

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I like the 7/8s oz loads (with the right wad) but since I shoot no International Trap I usually load mine "down" to 1180 - 1225 fps. I have found that with the Winchester WAA12L,the Claybuster CB0178-12 or the REM TGT12 at these speeds I have patterns that appear to be more even and with less spread than my 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads at the same speed and the same choke. I had been choking 1 step tighter with the 7/8s but found that it really was not needed. As stated before you can shoot these all day without getting beat up. My buddy has taken it one step further and shoots his in an 1100. His best scores have come with this combo.
    --- Chip King ---

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

7/8 ounce of 8 1/2 with 15gr of 700X and a WW Gray wad or clone and a WW 209 works great in a WW hull for 16's and the first shot on doubles. For the guys out there chipping and hacking with 1 1/8 ounce and an IC choke, no, these loads probably aren't for you. My guess is that being reasonably close is why you shoot the shell/choke combination you do. For the purists who shoot fixed full choke guns, that 7/8 ounce load will incinerate a 16 yard target right up there with the best of the 1 1/8 ounce loads if pointed correctly. You do sacrifice a target here or there if you don't do your part as there is essentially no fringe to the pattern and the 7/8 load does have a shorter shot string due to its shorter starting height in the shell.

Jeff

10. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Why do you girly men waste so much shot? It only takes 3 pellets to break a target, so why waste hundreds? I shoot only 1/2 oz loads of 9 shot now and they will really smoke targets at any yardage. I can't even remember the last time I missed a target.

Remember and never forget: LESS IS MORE.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

lumper- I am not a good shooter (A-27-A). Every time I get close to a AA average, I have one of those 80 something days. I use a full choke and my 45 yard patterns have some holes with 1 1/8 oz shot. What type of choke should I use to shoot less shot and get fewer holes in the pattern?

Pat Ireland

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

Cut the feigned humility.

A-27-A is good in anybody's books.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... try an extra full turkey choke or better yet shoot them a little quicker and bring that pattern in some from 45 yards.

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've never shot a 12 gauge 7/8 oz load in my life. I just went out in the garage and found me a bushing that I figured would allow me to load a 7/8 oz load. Well I needed to get my Dremel out with a sanding tube and I hacked away at it until it threw 370 grains of #8 shot. That's a little short of 7/8 oz but close enough to try them. I used a 1 oz TGT 12 wad. I had to adjust the crimp so the shot didn't roll out, but this is just an experiment. I loaded 1 box to try them out on Saturday at my club. Heck, for practice it might be fun and save me some lead. I don't know if I would want to shoot registered with them though. Ed

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Anyone using the 7/8 ounce wad by Downrange yet?

16. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Mr. Ireland,

Perhaps is isn't your choke, but your wad? So many things effect pattterns.

IME,
    Kip

17. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I have been reloading and shooting mainly 7/8 oz and 1 oz. for over 10 years now and shoot them well from the 16 yard line, now I am sticking with 7/8 oz and No. 7 1/2 shot since lead prices are not coming down anytime soon and I exhausted the last of my cheaply bought shot (the last time I bought shot I spent $22 dollars per bag at my club that was two years ago).

Berettaman7

18. RAU

RAU Member

timb99

I have been using the 7/8 oz Downrange XXL wads for close to a year now. I think they do a great job. I do pattern all my loads extensively and these seem great. I use 14.5gr 700X 7/8 oz 8.5s Gun Club hull and W209 primer. Primary use is first shot in doubles, but I have used in singles with no real diff from my usual 1 oz 7.5s singles load. I do use the pink XXL in the rem hulls, I have tried the orange XXL in some active hulls I have with about the same results....Thanks Rick

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Better yet, just buy the Winchester green pattern sheets. They already have the targets printed on them.

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I shoot lots of Bunker and less and less ATA. This "debate" goes on here over and over. I am convinced that if the ATA mandated 7/8 oz. loads the sport would be better. Less recoil, period. 7/8 oz. loads destroy clay targets from the 16 or the 27. As for "holes in the pattern, holes - schmoles. Everyone shoots the same loads. The same guys are going to win for sure.

Go see a bunker event sometime. See good shooters firing at those rockets with the 7/8 oz. loads. They crush the birds. Go get a flat or two of them and shoot em. Then report back.

Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.