1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz load with Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benedict1, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

This has probably been beat to death but I'll repeat it: I need a 7/8 oz load to shoot practice 16 yd trap. I use Red Dot for 1 oz loads now, Win AA hull and Spolar Gold Wad for 7/8-1 0z shot. About 17.5 gr works well. However, arthritic shoulder is taking a beating and after 100 rounds I'm getting a little flinchy. Thought 7/8 oz might give be a little more pleasure and less Ouch!

Most concerned about getting a decent crimp that isn't too deep with these components.

Thanks,

Walter

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use 16.2 gr of Red Dot, Claybuster CBO178-12 Wad, Winchester AA hull and Winchester 209 primers. And of course, 7/8 oz shot (usually 8s)

I haven't had the opportunity to chronograph this load, but I like it just fine on 16 yd. targets.

Allen

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Just try all the wads that are available until you find the one that fills the shell without air space. I use the Federal SO, which is the most stable wad, but may not be the biggest wad. You want the biggest. It is a pain to have to use filler, but those of us who are experimenting with 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads are forced to use some kind of filler. Air space in the shell is fatal to consistent performance. Check with Downrange wads to see if they have addressed the problem. They have solved the 16 gauge light load problem.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The federal SO, Winchester 12L, ClayBuster 0178-12, and DownRange XXL (pink), are all good wads for a typical 7/8 oz loading. However, depending on which shot you're using and which measuring method for weight of shot (MEC, PW, or others) you may get crimps that could use a bit of adjusting. Try deepening the crimp - should be as deep as the thickness of a dime but a smidge more might be called for. I've gotten quite serviceable crimps with some adjusting and the use of an adjustable bar that confirms exact shot drop weights with all the above wads.....breakemall......Bob Dodd

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Walter, I know your looking for a load that will help you shoot better but think of this also. To help with felt recoil, add more weight to the stock of your gun! I too have health problems with my back/neck and left shoulder and arm! I would have to quit shooting all together if I had to rely on light loads alone!!

In addition, forget about this balance BS with a trapgun, you have enough problems with recoil as it is. Once the shotgun is mounted, all that balance business is for naught for the most part!

My normally 8-1/2 to 9 pound shotguns now weigh closer to 12 and 13 pounds and it helps tremendously!!!

Hap

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I load 7/8 oz with 16.5 gr. of Red Dot, AA, W209 and some kind of pink or orange wad.

Out of my 31.5 " 18.4 mm Perazzi bore with IM choke, I get around 1165 fps.

If I use 19 gr., it'll get 1255 ~1275 fps.

Couldn't really tell much difference in recoil from the two loads, both very light.

7. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Walter - Unless you really jack up the powder charge to Int'l 24gram speeds, you are going to get some dishing with those components no matter how you adjust your crimps. That is not the direction you wish to go. A better solution is to get some dedicated 7/8 oz wads and load to normal speeds. I prefer the DR pink xxl for your purposes. There are published loads for this wad and RD. Forget about the Fed SO or it's clones in the AA or AA-HS hull. PM me if you want some pink xxl's to try.

Kevin

8. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Kevin:

I have have some gray Claybusters equivalent to the Win wad:

Shotshell
    12 Gauge
    * 2 3/4-in. Winchester AA Plastic Shells
    * 7/8 shot wt.
    * Win 209
    * WAA12L or DRXXL (Pink)(Right out of the Alliant website)
    The charge weight is 16.5 gr for 1200 fps. I will gin up two boxes to try this weekend. If that works out and is noticeably better I'll move that way.

Thanks to all the rest of you for your ideas. I will save this thread in case what I'm trying doesn't work.

I also accept the great advice about adding weight. You'll all think me a wimp now but I am shooting a very soft G-Square Shockmaster on a gun of total weight ~9.5 pounds with 1 oz. I am going to figure out how to get some lead into that stock, or mercury reducer, if there's room. I tried barrel weights but that is the wrong place. Someone told me that Harlan Campbell's shotgun weighs in around 13 pounds. I don't know if I could swing something that heavy but I love to shoot so much that I will try something.

Walter

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the Pink and the Orange xxl wads?

Ajax

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

See them here (click above) Jack......Bob Dodd

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

15.5 of Red Dot with a DR XXL or CB4100 will do the trick..with 7/8oz. recoil is in the 28 gauge range.. I load 8.5's and its deadly.. Use a little more open choke at these slow speeds.. .020 comes to mind.. Winchester or Remington hull.. Any primer in summer

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bob, if they're the same construction except they are made for tapered cases I won't be trying them. I have had nothing but trouble with the Orange 1oz wads. I have switched powder,amounts of powder,other cases, and brand of primers, and still have bloopers. When I switch to a Federal 12S0 wad the bloopers go away. I'll never be so glad to be rid of a wad. It's the first time I've had any kind of trouble with DR wads until this, but I won't buy anymore of this style.

Ajax

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've loaded PINK XXL's in every case you'll ever find.. but I use at least 19.7 grains of Promo with 7/8oz.. NEVER had a problem..

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you want easy on the shoulder try some 7/8 ounce loads in a straight wall hull. Use a straight wall hull with a fiber base wad and they will be even softer.

My favorite 7/8 load is a Federal Top Gun or Wally World hull with 16.7 grains of Clays and a Gualandi GU-1225 wad. You can probably come up with a similar load using Red Dot since Clays and Red Dot are close in burn rate.

Jim Skeel

15. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

The 16gr. Red Dot load in a Rem. or Win case with the gray AA 7/8 oz. wad or the claybuster clone shoots and loads GREAT.
    My nephews and I shoot many flats of them a year.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Email to you Jack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

red dot 16 gauge loads