1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz. load with promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Looking for 7/8 oz. load in a top gun style hull with silver winchester wad and promo powdwer around 1150-1175ft per second. Thanks in advance,Tim Dearth

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Wrong wad for that hull!! Use a DownRange XXL Orange for Top Guns. Then use 18gr Promo.

AndyH

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Andy. I would never use a tapered wad in a straight walled hull.

Tim- Check the Alliant site for reloading data. You can use any data listed for Red Dot interchangeably with Promo. Remember, reloading guides give a list of safe loads. You have to select the best loads from the list.

Pat Ireland

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I know you said Federal but those are better for heavier shot loads.

Gun clubs, AA's and the like are much better for 7/8 oz and it seems that you have the correct wad. The hulls are free no matter which you use.

regards

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I agree with Bruce. Using a Rem Gun Club hull, Rem STS209 primer, 16.2gr Promo, either a Fed 12S0 or a DRM XXL Pink wad and 24g shot I get just under 1200fps. Going to 7/8oz of shot should give you about 1800fps.

I don't want to mess with card or cork fillers, so I use the Gold Medal hulls for bunker loads where I need the extra room they provide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.