1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 Oz load data - STS/Remington hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HSLDS, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm helping a friend who has decided to 'really' get back into shooting.

He plans to load 25,000 shells or more for practice, so price will matter (see what happens when you get 500 pounds of re-claimed shot??).

He is looking for a CHEAP load of 7/8 Oz shot, most likely STS hulls (or Remington variations) - he wants powder and wad ideas to give high quality loads that fill the shells and load easily. Primers too.

He is using a P/W loader (not sure if it is an 800 or a 2000).

I know there is a lot of good data out there, but the question is which combinations give high quality finished shells at a good price? He is looking for full hulls - good even crimps - as well as good performance.

THANKS

And Merry Christmas to all.

David D

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

That's a pretty easy request. Promo is just about the cheapest powder you can get. It's so plentiful you trip over it wherever you go. Here is a terrific load using Promo and STS or Gun Glub hulls.

STS or Gun Club hull, STS209 primer, 17gr Promo, Fed 12S0 wad (or Clone) 7/8oz shot. Good for 1200fps @ 7200psi according to Alliant. Check their were site for data.

BTW, if you try Promo and like it, buy a bunch of the same lot. Promo changes in density between lots, and you much weigh charges and change bushings to get back to the correct weight.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

17 grs of Clays, WW clone of a 7/8's wad, 8.5's shot, and a Fio. primer. This will ink targets from the 16 and feels like a BB gun, as far as recoil.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Guys, thanks for your help - please keep the ideas coming...

rev - I know what you are saying - I am not asking for a load 'out of the box' - what I am trying to find is a 'book' load that gives really nice looking shells along with good performance.

My friend is going to spend a fair amount of money getting set up for this - so it is going to matter if the shells are hard to load, or if they look bad (think shot falling out of the crimps...). He is after high quality for a low price.

His work tends to be seasonal so he is in 'down' mode now - he wants to start loading ASAP to be set for spring. He could try a bunch of loads on his own, but time is not on his side for that - so we figured it would be better to pick the brains of the shooters here.

Again, thanks for your help,

David D

5. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Both my grandsons shoot the promo load listed above and beleive me when they do their part the targets evaporate. Tim

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Before he loads 25,000 shells with 7/8 ounce and reclaimed shot, I think he should shoot a couple of hundred just to make sure it's what he wants. It's possible, but not certain, that he won't get the center-density that will allow him to get the scores he deserves. It's worth sorting out beforehand.

Neil

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Avoid Claybuster Lightning wads. They don't seem to seal well in cold weather.

I personally use 18 grains of Nitro 100, a Cheddite or Fiocchi primer, the Claybuster WAA12L grey wad and 7/8 oz of 8s or 9s in the Black Remington game load hulls, I would think they are similar to the STS hulls.

Good luck, John

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Neil has some good advice here. The P-W progressive will load a lot of mistakes in a hurry if YOU are too much in a hurry. I have a 375C P-W that I use to load a few boxes of a new load I want to try out. I might "tweak" the load by trying some of the other recipe variations listed for wads, primers, etc., and when I'm completely satisfied with one particular load, I transfer the bushings to my 800+ and start "cranking" knowing that the load I'm making is going to be just what I want. ....Rick

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

Your friend would also be wise to weigh the actual shot drop he's getting before he loads a lot of what he thinks are 7/8 oz. Most reclaimed shot has varied sizes included and my actual shot loads with the lot I bought were underweight. I ended up using an 1 1/8 oz bar to get just under an actual ounce. Plus I ended up tightening the choke to get the same effect on the targets.
    John

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Remington hull is tapered just like the old Winchester AA. You should stay with a wad that is designed for a tapered hull. That means Winchester or a Claybuster equivalent. I would avoid Claybusters because of poor sealing and plastic build-up. I have used the Winchester WAA12SL (pink) wad with Hodgdon Clays and 7/8 ounce shot. As long as you use a low density powder like Clays it will fill the hull and crimp well. I have used the following load in a Winchester AA (old and HS):

16.8 grs. Hodgdon Clays, Win 209 primer, Winchester WAA12SL (pink) wad.

The internal volume of a Winchester AA and the Remington STS are almost identical so this load should work in the STS hull.

Jim Skeel

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

David.. What is he shooting??? ATA??? Bunker??? Skeet??? Sporting Clays??? what speed does he want his shells?? I have all the data for my 19.6 Promo..7/8 oz. shot Winchester or Fiocchi primers.. 12SO or DRXXL wad.. Remington hull.. 1330 fps.. 8700 psi.. Tested and proven.. E-mail me directly for more info.. By the way.. I used a longer cord.. a broomstick and a collender in Italy.. Got perfect reception once "pointed to Arezzo.."

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

7/8 Oz of reclaim isn't going to make your friend very confident in his home made cheap crap. (and it will be crap)

If you/he is locked into the reclaimed shot then use a full load 1 1/8 Oz. If you/he wants to run 7/8 Oz loads for recoil reasons, then at least use good shot, #8 or #8 1/2. Promo is a good low cost powder and the downrange XXL pink wad works great in the sts hull with 7/8 Oz loads. Cheddite primers will light things up nicely on a budget.

13. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

missemucho has good advice. I tried reclaimed shot and found my 1 1/8 oz PW bushing yielded .86 of an oz. My 1 oz bushing was slightly greater than 3/4 oz.

Before you load up 25,000 terrible shooting shells test, test, test and be sure to weigh.

In my case I found reclaimed shot not worth the effort.

Michael Stephenson

14. drbortone

drbortone Member

As far as loads for 7/8 oz I recommend to get the hogdon's manual on line it lists all the speeds with powder/wad/primer combination for the various hulls. I reload 24 grams for bunker using the 7/8 formulations.
    Here is the link to the website http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i use the 12s0 wad in remington gun club shells