1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz load @1100 FPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

Anyone got a good recipe for a load like this. The published loads seem to be all 1200 FPS or more. This won't be a trap load but used for skeet at shorter yardage. Thanks

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I went to Hodgdon's website and found several 1100 fps recipes.

Bryan

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Check out Alliants extra lite powder; lots of room to go down to that speed w/out dropping too low on pressure. Very clean burning powder too. J. Terre

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

About the only powder that will work at that speed is WAALite, and then pressures are so low I doubt it will be consistent. Most 7/8 loads are running at 1200 to 1400 fps. for a complete and consistent powder burn. Taking pressures to low is not a good thing IMO.

Wayne

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I used AAhs hulls Win 209 primer with 16 grains of Red Dot 7/8 oz #8 and the Claybuster 0178-12 wads. This gave me about 1120 fps but if I tried to go any lower I got a lot of off sounding shots. The pressures are low so the burn is dirty but performance seemed to be good. I also went down to 15.5 grains of e3 using the same components with good luck. Neither would cycle my 1100s but performed well at skeet with my O/Us.

--- Chip King ---

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

14.5 to 15.0 grains of Alliant ExtraLight, DR XXL wad, and a Win209 in a AA case is a soft, clean 7/8's load that doesn't "poof". This is around 1150fps. Loading for 1100 is going to result in sub-sonic performance with regularity - that may or may not bother you. You didn't say what gun; these may not work an auto, although 15.2grs cycles my 3901 without incident.

K

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

7/8 oz shot, AA hulls, 13.2 gr AA Lite, AA12L gray wad, Cheddite primers for 1100 fps. Very comfortable for a youngster (or an oldster like me).

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Rem hull, 17 gr Claydot, Fiocci primer, calybuster 0178-12 wad.

I've posted good scores at 16 yrads w/this load and it is an awesome skeet load or kid load.

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

AA lite and extra light are the only two powders I know of that will give any reasonable level of consistency at 1100 fps. Even with those two powders you will likely get very dense pattern centers. Could make for smokeballs but hard to hit skeet targets. I get best results at at least 1200 fps with both powders.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Alliant extra lite and winchester ultra lite are it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.