1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz in 1 1/8 wad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TTabor, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTabor

TTabor TS Member

I have a lote of WAA12 white. On the bag it states they can be used in 1 oz

to 1 5/8. Would it be ok to load 7/8 oz withe them, Or do I need to buy

another kind? If so what should I get. I would appreicate any and all input.

Thank Tracy

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sarge

Well put....

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I guess I can wear size 13 shoes, but I walk better in smaller and shot works the same way.

Grey wads work fine, 4100B Claybusters too. If you go to Estates, you might like 12SO's or equivalent.

Really, it's just the crimp that's a potential problem. It can get so dished that the shot runs out. And no, dished crimps _don't_ lead to excessive pressure; I've tested it.

Neil

4. powderburn

powderburn Member

TTabor,
    The 1 1/8 wad cup is too deep. Your crimps will fall in, and you'll have an ugly reload. Shot will trickle out the top. a pink 1 oz. wad will work, you may have to adjust the cam on your last crimp station to get the crimp right. or, you can add a spacer inside the shot cup to account for the height of the shot. You can use the 1 1/8 wad for 1 oz loads. good luck!
    -powderburn

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

20 gauge card will fill the space.

We had a couple guys punching out the styrofoam meat trays from the grocery and making their own filler wads.

They were using 3/4 oz and no wad worked, plus the AA gray was costy.

You will not create extra pressure by using a filler wad unless you make it out of lead.

HM

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I wear size 10 boots, but 11's feel soooo good, I buy 12's.

tony

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Just drop a couple or three kernels of popcorh in the wad before you drop the shot. Works great---and, NO the corn wont pop !

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you don't want to waste the popcorn use a spent primer in the primer cup. HMB

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A spent primer occupies just about the same volume as 1/8 ounce of shot...plus...you get a free one every time you reload another hull!

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And if you spray paint those spent primers orange your scores will inprove. HMB

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have used the 4 kernnels of popcorn filler and the spent primer filler methods successfully. It sounds funny but it works. The only problem that I had was on one of my MEC presses, if I was not carefull, some spent primers would stick in the hole in the shot fill tube when I was aeating the wad and make a mess when it and the shot charge all let go all once. (above the shell) I only did that until that case of wads was gone and then I ordered the right wads. Good Luck

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The best thing about adding a spent primer is that is acts like a "tracer". Lift your head as you shoot and you can see it fly over the target.

13. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

Let me get this straight: you are suggesting that the shooter lift his head to see where the spent primer goes? Sounds like a sure recipe for a miss to me. STAY IN THE GUN!!!!!!

14. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I have used a piece of dog food, Just drop in on top of shot charge, same with spent primers, I push them into the shot before crimping.

Works great.

tom

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and when they began requiring a little dog food in bunker loads the scores went up (!) a guy at the club told me one time. I'll tell you, the amount of work reloaders will put up with amazes me! The 20 gauge shot card has always puzzled me. Can you really still buy them? Doesn't it cost both money and time? Has anyone actually done it?

Neil

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Neil,
    We shoot guns that cost over $5k and drop in spent primers, pop corn or kibbles to make a 1 1/8 wad work with 7/8 oz of shot.

Americans are very resourceful.

Trap shooters are very cheap. I know a guy who cannot bring himself to throw out primers. He sold a few pail fulls to a scrap yard and did not recoup his fuel costs to get there. He now has another 3 pails - go figure. Why he told me this? I do not know.

I will tell him about this thread. It will save him shot and reduce his costs. He seems to have the right mind set to take advantage of this knowledge.

Don Verna

17. jhoward

jhoward Member

Seems like putting primers, pop corn, kibble, or anything else in your shot column would hurt your pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.