1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz. change Choke ? "Why" ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bertonernie, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

If the disipline stays the same and you switch to 7/8oz. loads why would you change chokes ?

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

It depends

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

You might not.

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

I believe that the original intent with tightening chokes for lighter loads is intended to keep more of those flier-type pellets under control and get them back into the annular ring of the pattern (outer third). There are usually fewer pellets in the effective pattern with lighter loads. Every pellet takes on an added importance in breaking the target, "nothing to spare", is the comment most made. The conventional thought is that by tightening the choke (usually one constriction) you can rein in those fliers and fill up that outer ring and find more breaks from your less-than-perfect shots.

When I made the move to lighter loads,4 years ago, I went to the patterning board and found that I can actually use a Mod. choke to get the 16 yd. patterns I like personally (>80%). So much effects pattern performance that it's difficult to find a steadfast rule. Contrary to what others have said, I've experienced large changes in pattern performance between reloading components and brands of choke. Sometimes even a barrel change on the same gun will have an unsuspected effect.

Some of the things that I learned at the pattern board is that shot speed alone doesn't effect pattern performance as much as I thought it would. For other reasons, shot speed does make a larger difference on the line? Shot size, and individual barrels are pretty much an entity unto themselves. And, wads that don't obscurate well in cold weather, generally don't pattern as well in other circumstances.

Doing it all over again, I wouldn't spend so much time patterning. Time spent on the line shooting targets is more important to me. If you're shooting tighter than Modified, try your typical choke first. You'll be surprised how just a change of shot size can be a positive move. You may eventually run out of distance with a 7/8 oz. load but I'm still using them at the 25(IM choke). Right now I'm working up a 26 gm. 1220 speed load for my next move back.

I read constantly that shooting a Full choke for everything will make you concentrate and a better shot. Focusing enough to constantly smoke a target with a light load has the same benefit, with the added benefit of less recoil and much less $40 a bag lead.

JMHO,
    Kip

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

If shooting ATA 16's, using the IMOD or FULL wil get you where you want to be. I use F/F for Bunker, but could get away with IMOD/F.

For ATA dubs, I shoot the 24 gram load. I have determined that most any open choke works for the first shot. I shoot the first target fairly quick, and prsently use a SK choke. IC will work fine. If you shoot the first bird slowly, the MOD will do. Traditional dubs chokes are IMOD/F. I use IMOD for the second shot, and 7 1/2's for everything but Skeet.

You WILL run out of pattern as you approach the back fence. There seems to be a transition between the 25 and the 27. Your pattern will depend on premium shot and consistent powder. REX I and SOLO 1000 pattern very well in the 24 gram load. The 24 gram load likes speed. I load to between 1360 and 1390 fps. I like the CB 12SO clone wad in Riefenhauser cases and the Federal GM and get great breaks. The CB 4100 Lightning in the Remmy hull has given me good results as well. In the AA hulls, the WAA12SL or clone works well with a bulky powder.

I have had my best results with Angleport chokes that have been made for my particular guns and their respective bore sizes. FYI, my Cynergy Sporter has bores of .735", instead of the advertised .742". No complaints, but the factory Midas chokes were way off and gave ho-hum breaks. The bore-matched Angleports will turn a solid into a vapor and do not develop fouling. Get your bores measured before ordering chokes!

I must agree with other knowledgeable posters in that the WAA12L gives less than stellar performance. Please do not ask me why. ;^?

6. John Wall

John Wall TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

OOPS

Hate it when that happens.

Dear Big Bore

You are right about tight chokes at first, then going to more open chokes.

NOTHING will get your confidence up like an inkspot.

I have gravitated to looser chokes for some reason, but, using my own arguments, I think I will go back to tighter chokes. Keeps the gun case less cluttered, too.

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

Jack, just use 3/4 ounce loads with a full choke. That's all ya need for handicap. With that K-80 ya should have no problem hittin em all.

8. oz

oz Active Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

if you use 1 1/8 oz with full choke, try mod or light mod with 7/8 oz. try it for a round, it won't kill you. the shorter the shot collumn the less it gets beat up and less choke is needed. oz

9. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

I can't help it, I think the only definitive way to tell if you need more choke is a visit to the patterning board. But I'm still a novice at this game.

For my situation, I'm in the middle of winter league right now, shooting 26gm loads. I was using an XT with Browning IM at the 20 and not doing well - a low of 11 and a high of 19. Some targets I would miss and have absolutely no idea why.

Last weekend I installed a Briley -full choke broke 3-20's and a 21 for an all time high at the 20yd line for me. I do not have opportunity to go to a patterning board so it is difficult for me to know if I had a choke problem or not. I could tell why I missed the targets too. Still I wish I had a patterning board to visit so I could really tell for sure. It would be nice to know I fixed a choke problem instead of just having a good day.

Mike

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

It can be a pain, but putting some of those 7/8oz loads on paper can give you a little insight to what maybe going on with chokes/loads. Heres a little exsample. The following pics are from a little pattern testing with the ChamberMate guage reducer from Seminole gun works 12G to 20G.

Picture #3 Is Remington 20g ShurShot 7.5 1oz shell with a InvPlus Briley IM spectrum choke. Which by the way has become my favorite choke with 1 1/8 and 1oz loads back to the 25y.
    Picture #4 is with the same Remington shells with a factory InvPlus Browning full choke flush mount. <center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center>For what ever reason the full choke blows the pattern apart. I took only 5 test shots each, they where cinsistant enough for me to ditch that full choke.

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

oz, how long have you lived in oz? The only way what you said could be true is if 7/8 oz loads pattern at 120+ percent. Some of you 7/8 proponents must believe this.

12. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

I may have had the same experience, at 20yds, my full choke (factory browning invector plus, flush mount) and 1oz loads didn't seem to do to well, scoring from a low of 11 to a high of 19 and could not see why I missed so many. I switched to a Briley stainless steel extended full choke at the next meet and shot 3 20's and a 21. Wish I could get to a patterning board to verify my results and not just chalk it up to having a good day.

To answer the question posed in the thread, I think the full choke at handicap range helps to fill in the pattern better for a 1oz load. Bye the way, I shoot 26gram loads, so a little short of a 1oz'er.

Mike

13. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

The answer is No.

14. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

7/8 oz. change Choke ?

Thanks, Earl !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.