1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz are great!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

You must use and only use 1-1/8oz loads ... use the max that is allowed or you will miss targets ... 1-1/8oz loads only should always be used!

Sorry ... I just wanted to be the first to say that cause 7/8oz loads actually are more than enough to do the job as long as the shooters knows how to do his job.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you got an extra 100 shells out of a bag of shot, you either had more than 25lbs of shot in the bag or you were loading less than 7/8oz, according to my math. That aside, I too have just loaded a few 7/8 oz for 16's instead of my usual 1oz and the breaks are just as good w/ less recoil.

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Correct Phil, I was comparing to 1 oz.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

It is encouraging to see more brave souls actually give 7/8 loads a try. The 100 +/- shell advantage (~28%) from the pricey 25# bags of shot are worthwhile...even just to "try". No argument with using more in competition, but 7/8 work darn good...experience will confirm this. Best Regards, Ed

5. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

7/8 of 8 using a full choke will smoke targets I will shoot them at 16 yd registered or unregistered, lets face it if you didn't hit it with 7/8 you weren't on the target and probably wouldn't have hit it with 2 oz of shot. I've used them from the 27 and since I have little practice shooting handicap I can't tell you if I missed any I shoulda hit but the ones I did break broke pretty good. Some of the guys at the club I shoot at say they will go back to 24-25 yards with them and be confident and not really see much of a difference as long as you do your part.
    avid

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

7/8 @ 16 yards with 8.5 shot will turn a target to smoke. You will miss a few @ the 27 using 7/8's and 7.5 shot. I haven't tried 7/8's loaded with 8's yet @ the 27, but I will shortly. I've also found 700x seems to work better than Green Dot with the 7/8 load. And it's cheaper to load.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've converted a very good sporting clays enthusiast and he shoots 7/8 oz 8s at every shot on the field. He refers to them as his "magic loads" and never shares the data with those that ask because they won't believe. He has shared his "magic load" for a shot or two with those that are missing with Nitro 27s and they have to agree they are "magic." I've never chronographed his recipe but I'd guesstimate it as running at about 1250 fps. Point at the bird and they will break; even significant yardage....Bob Dodd

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

For even more economy practice try 3/4 oz. of #9 shot...use the Downrange XXL 7/8 wads or Win 12L grey or Fed 12SO (incl. Claybuster clones)...smashes 16 yd targets. Best Regards, Ed

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I have used the 24 gram load for many years. I use it for 16's, and both shots of dubs. At the 25, I prefer one ounce. I have had good results from the 25 with 24 gram loads. I have broken targets at 100+ yards with them (standing well in the parking lot on the Bunker field).

An energetic 24 gram load will DESTROY a target at most distances. I load to 1300+ fps. My one ouncers are around 1250. I get quality breaks with both loads. That means SMOKE. These loads like a lot of choke.

I use F at the 16, XF at the 25, IC/IMOD for dubs. 16 yard breaks are explosive! ;^)

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Have you shot any of the winchester "feather" loads? They are low noise, low recoil, not much powder and not much shot. They are perhaps 1000 fps. but try them for the first shot of doubles. you will be surprised.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

We had a batch of them that had many bloopers in warm weather. I hesitate to see what they will do when it is cold.

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Have only shot two boxes of them, given to me by a friend. I missed one first bird, I was shooting leadoff and held too low on the first bird on the first post. So my experience with winchester feathers is limited to 50 rounds, but I liked those 50 targets and intend to load similar.

13. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Anyone have a good 7/8 oz. recipe for either Green Dot or American Select? I have lots of each powder and would like to give them a try.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Sure, they are great if one can hit dead center every time. If I were that good I would just throw one rock and leave the gun at home.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jerry ... it aint nothing but the shooter. If you cant hit it with 7/8oz than you will also miss it with 1-1/4oz of shot as well ... it aint no fault but the shooters fault. ;-)

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Everyone should be required to shoot 7/8 loads..... but me.

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

or how about shooting loads in 7/8oz increments such 1-3/8oz loads for handicap?

18. porthos

porthos Member

those of us that shoot 1 1/8 oz are gratefull to those that shoot less than that. there is more lead for us, you help keep the price down!!! if you ever talked to someone that worked in the ballistic lab at one of the powder companies you might be left scratching your heads. again thank you very much!!

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

dkusner: Green Dot 19.5 gr., AA shell, Down Range Pink wad, WW209, 7/8's 7.5's. I've shot these from the 27, and inked targets. I have not tried #8's yet Just because I have a lot of 7.5's. Low recoil, good pattern.

20. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

Do any of you guys know why the recipe for the AA Feather Lite load is not on the Winchester website, or in their reloading manual? I have had no luck finding it anyway..............

Thank

Lyndon