1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz and Olympic Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I've read a thousand threads on why light payloads are better and why I and everyone else should be shooting them. GREAT-- MAGNIFICENT--real men shoot 7/8!!What I want to know is how many miliseconds would the Olympic shooters stay with the 7/8oz if the rules allowed 1 1/8oz tomorrow. I'll bet the sales of 7/8oz AA's would go in the tank as fast as a gallon of gas at $4.00! Look, to each his own, but don't laud all the benefits and try to make me a believer. I read once that when Bonelius was asked why he shot 1 1/8oz loads he said because they won't let him shoot 2oz's. Knock yourself out--I ain't buying!

2. 100straight

100straight Member

Jim,

I really don't care what they set the limit at, I just know there needs to be one. Just out of curiosity, if they made the limit a two gauge shotgun shooting 8 ounces of shot at 1300 fps, would you shoot one? 7/8 is just easier on the body. I currently shoot 1-1/8 if I am shooting registered targets, and 1 ounce for practice, but I'd go to 7/8 in a minute if it was made the limit.

Shoot well and often,

mark.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot what you want, I really wouldn't give a hoot if 1 1/4 Oz @ 1,300 Fps were ATA legal.

I will say that you are missing out on some very pleasurable shooting by overlooking the 7/8 Oz loads.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

How many shooters who are against 7/8 oz loads have even shot them?

There is an advantage to more shot up to the point when recoil becomes a problem.

Since there are thousands of threads about ffflincching many must have some problems with the Max alowable loads.

Do you really think Dan was serious!

Joe

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Shoot your 7/8 oz and leave the rest of us alone. Yes I shoot a release, no recoil doesn't bother me and I have shot over 250,000 ATA targets plus 1,000's of skeet and sporting clays. If recoil was a problem, there are to many things to reduce it or take it away totally, starting with gun fit. So please not again about how bad my loads are and how good your loads are.

Bring you load and step to the line but shut up about your load.

Don

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too say shoot what you want. What I don't understand is why the people that like 1 1/8 loads always seem to think that 1 0z or even 7/8 oz are not any good. Rules are rules. ATA says 1 1/8 oz is ok they also do not say that 1 oz or 7/8oz suck and to get you best score you should shoot 1 1/8 oz. Are there any TOP shooters here that shoot under 1 1/8 oz loads? Just cuious and if there are not than I myself would like to have them try 1 oz loads and prove one way or the other if tey lose any more birds shooting 1oz vs 1 1/8 oz. I'd bet they would shoot very similar scores. I'm talking about people who regularly shoot 100's from 16 not people who just occasinally shoot 100 like me.

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Rules are rules.

And unlike the ATA, the ISSF (whose rules govern the Olympic shooting events) rules are actually enforced.

If the rule was changed to permit 1 1/8 oz loads in international competition then I'm sure that ALL the shoters would change but I'm not sure that proves anything other than adherence to the rules.

I will say this - I personally witnessed a junior bunker shooter (yes, a junior) shoot a 123/125 at our local State JO match shooting gun club 1 1/8 oz at 1290 fps. Then he stepped up to the line at the National Junior Olympics with the 24gr restriction and went 125/125.

So what does all that prove - it's all about the indian. Good shooters will break good scores regardless of the ammo.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

ffwildcat. We're fortunate to have bunker (olympic) trap at our club which has been open every Saturday for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I really doubt many would switch to 1 1/8 oz loads mainly because speed is your friend. Those low skimmer birds are really moving. You don't only need a quick moving gun but your ammo needs to be fast also. Some might opt for 1 oz but I do not think many would want to go to 1 1/8 oz, mainly because to load 1 1/8 fast enough would be way hard on your shoulder no matter what kind of recoil reducer you have on your gun. Just my personal opinion and I could be wrong but I don't think so. You say the junior was shooting 1 1/8 oz at 1290 fps. WOW what's that about 3 1/2 drams? 3 drams is 1200 I thought and they kick quite a bit as it is. This young man must be very strong or big for his age being a JR.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Personally.. I don't give a cr-p who shoots what.. Why does anyone else..???

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Many years ago bunker shooters shot 1 1/4 oz. loads.About 10 years ago they went to 1 oz. to try and bring the averages down, guess what... they went up.
    So now they are at 7/8 and quite happy..

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bring those 7/8oz loads to one of our events when the wind is 35-40mph and it's 55 degrees. That was just this weekend. We don't all live out west or Florida. On 16's, a good shooter will still shoot a decent score. Handicap or the 2nd shot on doubles, different story. Why add a 3rd load to mess with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.