1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 oz and Clay Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by psfive, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

Does anyone have a good 7/8 oz recipe for Clay Dot in Remington and or AA hulls with Win 209 primers? Alliant does not list any. Just asking the question. Thanks Paul

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If the powder manufacturer doesn't have it listed in their published data, the answer is simple.

Don't.

3. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I've loaded about 40,000 7/8oz loads in remington hulls. I've used the same receipe that is recommended for Clays.

Reminton STS or equivelent
    17.0 gr Claydot
    CB-4100-12-B, or pink DRXXL
    7/8 oz #8 or #8 1/2

I use this load for singles or first shiot doubles

Bob K

4. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I have found Clays to only be a good 7/8oz. powder once you get the speeds above 1250fps or so. Since ClayDot burns just like Clays, this would follow for ClayDot.

If you want a normal 1200fps 7/8oz. load, I recommend Winchester WAALite, Alliant E3, Hodgdon TITEWAD, Alliant Red Dot.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

psfive, Alliant has said many, many times that Clay Dot is a direct substitution for Clays. Call Alliant and ask for your self.

That means that the 19 7/8oz recipes shown in the Hodgdon loading data using the STS hull and W209 primers can be used with Clay Dot as well.

BTW, a stunning good load is STS hull, W209 primer, 16gr Clay Dot, 12S0 wad and 7/8oz shot for approx 1150fps. Bump to 17gr for 1200fps and 18gr for 1250fps.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

+1 zzt. I use 17.1 grains Hogdon Clays, STS hull, Win 209, and DR Pink 7/8 oz wad with 8s for 1200fps. Crushes targets at the 16 yd line (so long as I do my part). For Caps and 2nd shot at doubles, I move up to 1200 fps 1 oz 7 1/2.

Jim R

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...a stunning good load is STS hull, W209 primer, 16gr Clays, 12S0 wad and 7/8oz shot for approx 1150fps."

Agreed.

Excellent load.

(though I kicked it up a bit to 16.8 grains and used the real thing.)

8. psfive

psfive Member

ZZT, I have, I sent an e-mail off to Alliant and asked for myself, I did that way before I asked here. Problem is they have not gotten back to me in any way. So in the mean time I just thought I would ask the best base for information I have at my disposal (besides Alliant). Not trying to stir the pot or cause an uproar. Just a simple question to people who may know. And I thank you for your input to my question. Thanks Paul.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ps5

You're probably better off trying to call them on the phone. E-mail gives mixed results.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

psfive, ditto on the voice call. If I don't get them, I leave a message. They always get back to me. Sometimes it's much later the same day, but they always called back.

11. grumpyduck

grumpyduck TS Member

From the Alliant website

Clay Dot®
    Smokeless Shotshell Powder
    Optimum load for light and standard 12 gauge target loads
    Duplicates the performance of Hodgdon® Clays™ at an economical price
    Proudly made in America

Clays and Clay Dot load the same grain for grain. Use the Hodgon website to find your recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claydot recipe with drxxl pink wad

what is the best alliant powder for 12 gauge target loads reddot or claydot