1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 OZ. 27 yd. shooters ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadvail, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadvail

leadvail Member

Okay . From the 27 yd. line shooting 7/8 oz. loads . Exactly how many are there ?

Not me, Iam a 27 yd. shooter, but I use 1 1/8 oz. I want to know if there really is anyone who uses 7/8 oz. and doesn't get reductions .

Bob Semsack

2. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Be kinda like running the Indy 500 on lawn mower tires....You would get around the track, but it would not be pretty and you would definitley lose.....lol.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Jerry,

You all coming down to the Hunter Open?

4. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

not sure.....Bill definitly is....not sure bout rest. I am taking some of the family down to Puerto Vallarta for the week on that Sunday. We may stop in on the way down Friday/Saturday. Just dont know yet.....

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Good question leadvail. Judging from the replies so far it's zero.

6. JDS

JDS TS Member

24 gram is equal to .846 and 7/8 is .875 so, now we all can see that 7/8 is "NOT" 24 grams. 7/8 is 24.8 grams. Velocity is directly prop. to energy now, 24's are hitting the target "HARDER" than your dust collecting 1.125's. Still with me! It is not the 24's fault that you cannot hit the target!!!

7. remington32

remington32 TS Member

I've used 24 gram a long time.

Pleasant to shoot and they break targets, but make no mistake, the effective pattern is smaller than 1 oz and definately 1 1/8. Easily seen by patterning and breaking clay targets. More pronounced at longer distance.

I think you'll find International scores did drop with 24 gram loads, not the case when they switched from 32 gram to 28 gram IMO. The 28 gram(1oz) may have been the "sweet" spot, reduced recoil(maybe) but no real "effect" on scores...IMHO.

You "mandate" 24 gram loads to make the game a bit harder, reduce physical "pounding" and today, reduce costs. Overall, I like them.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm 27 yards, and I've tried some 7/8's, 7.5 1250-1300fps, and they will brake targets. However saying that; I think they are great at the 16 in 8.5's, but one needs at least 1oz. or 1 1/8 oz at the 27.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

flincher100

How do you know that increasing the velocity over 1200 fps will degrade the pattern? Increased recoil I would agree with, but is there a substantial difference in the pattern for a velocity increase once you have passed the speed of sound?

10. shootershooter

shootershooter TS Member

Come on, if the 7/8 or 24 gramms can brake the international clays ( harder and faster ) you can shoot 27, 30 or more yards, if you cant brake the targets from 27 yards is not the shotshell is the shooter sorry but true.
    im not a 27 yards or aa shooter because i dont want i left the american trap because is too easy i have the evidences im a bunker trap shooter i switched to the american trap because where i live i dont have bunker i only shot one tournament ( chain shoot handicap ) and i won, i use to shoot at 27 yards only always with 24 gramms and i have many 25's, i sold my unsingle barrel because i switched again this time i only shoot wobble trap with the max. speed and the results are the same 24 gramms 7.5 breaks everything.

Advice :
    Shoot more often ( with 24 gramms ) and try bunker trap you will be a better shooter and you will see the ATA target in slow motion and the yardage doesnt matter the yardage.

11. shootershooter

shootershooter TS Member

Come on, if the 7/8 or 24 gramms can brake the international clays ( harder and faster ) you can shoot 27, 30 or more yards, if you cant brake the targets from 27 yards is not the shotshell is the shooter sorry but true.
    im not a 27 yards or aa shooter because i dont want i left the american trap because is too easy i have the evidences im a bunker trap shooter i switched to the american trap because where i live i dont have bunker i only shot one tournament ( chain shoot handicap ) and i won, i use to shoot at 27 yards only always with 24 gramms and i have many 25's, i sold my unsingle barrel because i switched again this time i only shoot wobble trap with the max. speed and the results are the same 24 gramms 7.5 breaks everything.

Advice :
    Shoot more often ( with 24 gramms ) and try bunker trap you will be a better shooter and you will see the ATA target in slow motion and the yardage doesnt matter the yardage.

12. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I shoot 7/8 from the 27 and have borke 25's.

13. leadvail

leadvail Member

Doesn't look promising right now for 7/8 oz. registered handicap shooting .

14. JDS

JDS TS Member

AMEN.................

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rip12- A fair test of 7/8 oz would be the record of 5,000 ATA registered birds from the 27. I am not interested in doing this test.

shootershooter- If ATA trap is so very easy for you, why don't you suffer shooting the game one year and win some money? Purses are down, but one can still win $10-20,000 at a shoot. If you have only shoot one ATA tournament, how can you have a lot of experience from the 27 yard line?

We seem to have several posters who like 7/8 oz shot charges. That is fine. But, just because one person likes a certain load does not mean that everyone else should also like it.

Pat Ireland

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Mr.shootershooter Seems kind of unreal to me. Could he be an another phony in posters clothing??

Don

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Velocity is directly proportional to the square-root of energy. But no one can understand it that way, can they?

Better: the kinetic energy of a pellet is proportional to the square of the speed. For example, according to Ed Lowry's program, in raising the velocity of a seven and a half from (at 3-feet) 1200 to 1400, the energy at 40 yards is increased by about 29%.

Neil

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Wow Neil. That much? I have favored relatively low velocity shells for recoil purposes. And, I have made no secret of the fact that I think smaller shot charges are a good thing. But, that is eye opening. Maybe I should throw away all those 2 3/4 dram 1 oz. loads I have been shooting. They seem to break the targets hard and consistantly. But, 29% is a bunch. Maybe I will look harder for fast factory bunker loads with their speed.

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jackeroo, I wouldn't do any of that just yet.

Every pattern analysis method, from paper to computers, makes it clear that a single pellet must be able to break a target most of the time. (I hate to write this since it means I'll have to go on later with the explanation of the "plenty of holed targets on the ground but none with three" rap this always leads to.)

That includes, of course, long-yardage handicap which the 40-yard standard I used above is a stand-in for. So plenty of targets are being broken now. Now the questions:

1: Would they be more broken if the pellet had more energy? The answer there is mostly no, since breaking is a yes/no question and as so many like to say "They score 'em, they don't grade 'em."

2. Would _more_ be broken with more energy. Perhaps, but not many, probably. There's a number in circulation attributed to the Brits that it takes (as I remember) about 0.65 ft-lbs of energy to break a target. Sure, that's a suspect figure and for all I know just appeared on the internet and you know what that means. But the most pessimistic reading of Ed Lowry's program results in an energy of about 1.1 ft-lb in the above-described conditions.

So if you already have plenty and then some, which I think you do for ATA handicap but may not have for the second shot in bunker, what's the point of more?

This brings to mind a series of article by, as I recall, Mike W in an English publication, where he rightly pointed out that pellet speed at the target should be thought of as relative speed, that is, you have to subtract (say) 30 MPH from the energy calculation for a straightaway. But then he got completely off track with some preposterous assertions about target speed with a tailwind, and my subscription ran out before he got his head screwed on right again and took it all back so I don't know how it all worked out.

Neil

20. Hauser

Hauser Member

For you "I need more velocity advocates"

I have shot for several years with Dick Goerlich who shoots the same reloads for singles, doubles, and handicap.

He loads 1 1/8 ounce of 8s powered by 15.5 grains of 700X. I dont load 700x so I dont know how fast his shells are but they sound like they are on the short side of fast.

Anyhow during the time Ive shot with him he has broken 5 of the 8 100 straights he has recorded from the 27.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.