1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 Oz. 12 guage load wanted

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

0   0   0

I've just back into trapshooting after many, many years. I also bought a reloader and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to a reload for the Federal Field and Target (Multi-purpose) hull that Walmart sells in the 100 round packs. I'm looking for a 7/8 oz or 1 oz reload for them. I think they have a steel rim and would like to know if they are worth reloading. I've got a bunch of old AAs and Remingtons but until I feel comfortable again, I'd like to take a stab at the throw away junk. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

19.6 Promo.. CB4100 wad or DRXXL wad.. Federal hull Winchester/Fiocchi/Nobel primer..7/8oz shot..

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

Personally, I would throw those "cheapie" hulls away and stick with the high quality target hulls from Federal, Winchester, or Remington. Most of the cheap hulls use a separate base wad and there is a reasonable amount of evidence that some gun blow ups may well have been caused by such base wads separating from the hull in reloads. These cheapie rounds are good enough as one time factory loads, but I would never reload one. I know that many do, but with the risk of a separated base wad possible in such hulls, for me they are just too much risk for little gain. Good hulls don't cost that much, and give a lot of decent reloads without the risks involved in the cheapies. Using good Remington STS hulls, I find a great load is 17.1 grains of Clays, Win209 primer, Downrange pink wad (7/8 oz), and 7/8 oz of #8s. Nominal 1200 fps, and for me at least, crushes the targets at the 16.

Jim R

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

0   0   0

I always resize the steel rimmed "junkies" as they usually expand enough after firing to cause fit problems in some guns. I like 19~20 grains of Promo under a Claybuster 12S0 wad ignited by any primer. Be sure to check each hull for the presence of the base wad B4 reloading. Do not use these hulls unless you know they were shot that day. The paper base wad will suck up moisture and ruin your powder.

AndyH ;-)

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

0   0   0

I just went through the new Hodgdon and Alliant reloading manuals and they don't list the hulls you have. I did find a couple of recipes for a 1 oz. Federal Hi Power Plastic shell with Rolled Paper Base Wad from a 1996 Alliant manual. Its not the same hull you have. You will probably have to call Hodgdon and Alliant for correct data if there is any. I would throw them away without published data. Make sure you have a good scale, good luck reloading. Wayne

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

0   0   0

I load one ounce of shot in these hulls using 18.3 grains of Promo or Red Dot, Federal 209A or Rio G-600 primer and the Federal 12S0 wad, or Claybuster clone. That gives about 1200 fps and is a decent load, even when cold. I use the Federal Primer for the first loading and then the Rio primer for the second. The reason behind this is that these hulls seem to suffer from an enlarged primer pocket on the first or second loading. You'd notice some soot or black deposits around the primer. I use the oversized Rio primer on the second loading so it will seal a bit better. I don't load these hulls more than twice. You need to inspect these hulls to make sure the basewad is intact and has not been wet. You would see a "swelled" basewad if it was wet or soaked. The only other issue is that you may end up with a tube separating from the base. It is a "very" infrequent problem, but it can happen. The only times I have seen it was when these hulls were loaded with Unique or Universal Clays and 1 1/8 oz of shot. It has not happened with the load I listed above, in well over 10,000 shells over the past several years.

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

0   0   0

Hi

I like Federal 209A primer, 17grs Red Dot, Federal 12SO or Claybuster equivalent wad and 7/8oz 8s in cheap federal hulls. Should see 1200fps.

Regards

W&W

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

0   0   0

Big Dog Dad ,

Here's a BIG PLUS 1 for Perazzi Big Bore's recipe for 7/8 oz loads .

If I want some 1 oz loads I use one of DR's 1 oz wads and leave the press set up as for 7/8 oz loads . I know the velocity is down a bit but I don't seem to notice the difference and it makes switching back and forth so much easier .

Charlie

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Go back and read jimrich60's advice...then read it again and follow the STS recipe - it is tried, proven and excellent! Your success in reloading will be evident in using quality hulls. The pitfalls in using the promo steel based hulls are simply not worth it. Best Regards, Ed

10. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

0   0   0

Anyone have any loading data using either Grren Dot or Solo 1000 powders??

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.