1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 Ounce Red Dot Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3dram8, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Drew, here's a load right off the Alliant website, but it calls for Remington 209P primers. Since pressure is at 8000 psi, switching to the hotter Win. 209 primer would PROBABLY not put you into red line territory. But, as always, check your powder drops on a reliable scale and proceed with caution. ....Rick

STS hull / 7/8 oz. shot / Rem. 209P primer / 16.5 gr. Red Dot / Win. WAA12L wad (Gray) / 8,000 PSI / 1200 FPS

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Drew I'll second the 16.5 gr Red Dot load with the Claybuster lightning wad. A friend of mine went to that load and still outshoots some of us on a regular basis. He shoots his in a Rem 1100 and it is a very soft kicking load. It fuctioned in every 1100 I have tried it with and my Beretta 391 and my daughters 3901.

--- Chip King ---

3. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I would recommend the Windjammer wad with 16.5-17 grains of Red Dot. (check your reloading manual or Alliant's website to confirm). I load 18.6 grains of Red Dot with 7/8 oz #8, 209REM, STS hulls, with a Green Duster or Windjammer at aproximately 1275-1300 fps. Just started using this load at the 16 and it has been impressive. I am going to try it at 20 yds tonight. Other more knowledgeable reloaders say that it is good to the 27 WITH THE PROPER CHOKE (.035-.043). I'm sticking with my .025 Angleport and backing up until my pattern gets thin. Then I'll put in the .030 and see how far back it will get me. ...........then the .035.

FACT: The Windjammer wads are the lightest wads that I have tried (Green Dusters, Claybuster, and Down Range).

OPINION: To me they seem to kick less but I don't know if this is due to less wad weight, less velocity, or a combination of the two as I don't have a chronograph to check velocity.

REDD04

4. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Simple advice. Forget recoil. Keep both eyes on the bird and do not backsite or (look back the the bead) and the flinch will stop.

5. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I have a friend how gave me some #8 7/8 18grains Reddot STS hull win. primer shells. He had me stand on post three, on the 27 yard line and the three shells he gave me broke the targets well.I was usinga 38 thousands choke. John

6. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Look at AA Lite for your 7/8oz loads. It is designed for them. Loads less than 1100 fps. Lowers recoil ala Newton, D Winter

7. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

Remington hull, 17 grains reddot, rem primer, downrange XXL pink wad, 7/8 oz #8 or 8 1/2 shot. Or winchester hull with win primer other componets the same as before. No kick and solid breaks. Okieshootist (David H)

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have tried 7/8 oz. shot with 16.5 gr. of Green Dot and they seem to kick harder than the 18.7 gr. I was using formerky. How come?

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

For the record, the CB4100 "lightning" is 1.063"/27mm from OP cup to bottom of the shotcup. The DRXXL (Orange) wad is 1.08"/27.5mm. The DRXXL-7/8 (PINK)is the same dimension as the CB12L: 1.10"/28mm The Winchester AA12L is the same dimension as the DRXXL (Orange) wad. PlasWads are tough to measure but the numbers are good enuf for load-to-length calculations.

All of these wads are 24 gram or 7/8 oz length wads and will load perfectly in the Remington case with Red Dot or the like propellant (except that the DRXXL (Orange) wad is not for use in Remington's internally tapered cases...)

For 3/4 oz, try the bulkier Clays powder, lower the pre-fold die and maybe back off on final crimp depth. (Didn't Tom Roster have 3/4oz loads recently in the NSSA magazine? Also available at hodgdon.com.)

The longest wad available is the ($)B&P 078 Lighting, available from Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading and usable in Federal GM/Cheddite type cases. It measures 1.16"/28.5mm.

- - Bill

10. biff

biff Active Member

PBB(Mike), I shot some factory Winchester AA 1350fps 7/8 Oz. 3 1/4 dram 7 1/2 shells this weekend that had zero recoil with blinding speed and broke targets off the 27 yd line as hard as I have ever seen. He was shooting them in practice and I was laughing to myself as to why would he want to handicap himself with them till he gave me 5 of them to try; I broke 4 out of 5 with them and the one I missed was a straight away , shot over it as it was soooo fast!

Mike, I know you always said speed kills, "I believe now!" What is this shell and HOW could can I duplicate this load? Biff

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think it's time to chime in here.

First, Bill, the Rex 24 wad is longer than the lightning and has a deeper shot cup. IMO it surpasses the Lightning in all respects.

Drew, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't like the WAA12L wads you are trying. I've never had good results with them.

I have been playing with 24g and 7/8oz loads again. I only use two wads for this, the pink DRM XXL and the Federal 12S0. I'm not as enthusiastic as Mike is about the XXL. I can get good performance from it using 8 1/2 and 8 shot in the 1200+fps range, but it goes to hell in a handbasket if you push it fast.

I'm also finding that 8 1/2 shot and high speed don't mix. I get vaporized targets using the XXL an 24g #8 1/2 at between 1150 and 1200fps. That's 16 to 17 grains of Red Dot or Promo. Jumping to 18.6gr Red Dot or Promo just blows the patterns. Breaks are weak. If you are trying to reach 1345fps, I would not go any smaller than #8.

I also don't see the need for that kind of speed. One of the loads I shot on Saturday was STS hull, STS209 primer, 19.6gr Am Select, 12S0 wad and 24g West Coast Magnum #8. That was good for about 1290fps. When hit, the targets literally exploded. I don't mean vaporized, I mean they broke into a lot of visible pieces that flew apart at high speed. Quite impressive.

I'll also suggest you mind your POI. As you go faster and faster, your gun will shoot flatter and flatter. So you may have been hitting those targets with the top of your pattern, and that's why you didn't like the breaks. When I go from 1200fps to 1300fps I have to lower my rib one notch.

12. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

thanks for all the helpful imfo guys. Can't wait to use up that International Clays.

13. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I would use load that uses something other than a 209p primer.The Rem. primer is not quite hot enough in my opinion to use with Red Dot and 7/8 oz.You will get some inconcistances.I load 17 gr Red Dot with a w209 and the CB4100 and it is soft and effective.This load is not listed but I would think thge pressure within safe levels.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

biff, chamber end. Sorry about that. I should remember to say which end I am talking about, or just standardize on the bead end.

15. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Just got my samples of the new Duster "Clear" 7/8 WAA12L replacement wad(actually white translucent like the AA 1 1/8 oz wad...).

Wad looks very nice. Wad length is 1.06"/27 mm and the overpowder (OP) cup outside diameter appears to measure 0.704. The wad should deliver flat crimps with Good Ol' Red Dot and STS cases, no problem. (For super-consistent crimps, check the case length: most STS cases seem to average 2.72"/69 mm, but Remington cases vary 2.60"/66 to 2.80"/71 mm...)

I can't figure out how the REX could be considered longer than the B&P T2 or 078 Lightning as BP calls it. REX measures 27 mm from the start of the shotcup bottom to the OP cup end. The OP cup is maybe 0.5 mm deeper than the T2's and the shotcup is concave -- the only wad that I can recall like that. Wad definitly takes up less space in the case.

I remember giving up on Clays with the 28.5 mm-lengthed T2 and switching to less-dense American Select when I loaded the purple Fiocchi case. The alternative would have been to crush the wad to get consistent, flat, crimps or order more REXes.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

24g waa12l loads

alliant red dot loads for trap

piskplaswads

red dot 7 8 loads

waa12l wad green dot